Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #1

Antifreeze not getting pumped into Pinnacle 36FBTS 2016

This is our first time winterizing using the Utility Center to pump antifreeze into the plumbing fixtures.

I have adjusted the valves according to the winterize diagram in the utility center. I connected a hose to the city water fill inlet with the other end into my container of antifreeze. I turned on the water pump.

However, I the pump does not siphone the antifreeze from the container into the fresh water plumbing system. The pump works as we recently did some dry camping.

We attempted to prime the pump by pouring some antifreeze into the hose connected to the city water outlet. However, still no suction coming from the pump.

Have I missed anything? Anybody got any ideas? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #2

Did you open a faucet in your camper? Seems the pump won't prime up unless something is open in the camper. Give it another try. Good luck.

Dave
Ultratravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #3

Some users need to remove the water inlet connection gasket/screen and actually turn it around backwards so it depresses the check valve installed that keeps water from flowing back out of the inlet.

In my case I don't have to do that, but I do find getting the antifreeze container as high above the inlet as practical so gravity helps a little. I also crack open the outside shower valve so that the air has somewhere to go as the antifreeze enters.

Have you also made sure any low point drains are closed? In my plumbing I have one right near the inlet of my water pump. If it is open it will suck air continuously and never pick up the antifreeze.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:40 PM   #4

I've encountered this on our 2016 Greyhawk. Yes, I have to reverse the inlet screen so the "point" is inward. Otherwise the pump can't overcome the check valve.

And I have to lift the antifreeze up so it's level or higher that the inlet.

That almost always works.

Last Saturday I had to dork with the valves, flipping to Sanitize and the back to Winterize before I got it to pump.

Don't forget to remove your water filter if you have one.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #5

Sometimes it takes up to à minute to prime the pump. Open a faucet but just slightly so air cab escape. When you hear the pump starting to prime, open and close it, it helps.

Envoyé de mon SGH-M919V en utilisant Tapatalk
tortue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:01 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. Great tips. I will give it another try after work tonight and let everyone know how I made out.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:27 AM   #7

I use this to pump antifreeze thru the city water connection and it works every time:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Man...&wl13=&veh=sem

make sure you have the faucet as far away as possible open first.

After I do this, I use the pump to run antifreeze thru the pump.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #8

"I connected a hose to the city water fill inlet with the other end into my container of antifreeze. I turned on the water pump.
"

Your water pump works with your city water connection? I haven't seen that before... Most of them only pull from the fresh water tank, the city water connection doesn't go through my pump... they figure it isn't needed.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #9

Faucet open definitely helps priming the pump.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
Site Team

The fifth wheel utility center has valves that re-configure where the city water inlet goes, depending on what you want to do.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
"I connected a hose to the city water fill inlet with the other end into my container of antifreeze. I turned on the water pump.
"

Your water pump works with your city water connection? I haven't seen that before... Most of them only pull from the fresh water tank, the city water connection doesn't go through my pump... they figure it isn't needed.
Some units have a valving system that allows us to set the valves to allow us to draw in water (or antifreeze) in through the "City" water connection using our onboard water pump. We do not have any gravity inlet to our fresh water tank. We can draw water from an external source such as an auxiliary tank, provided everything works as it should and our suction resistance is not too great. We also have to use a non-collapsible suction hose when drawing water or it won't work. Most rigs capable of this functionality come with a short hose from Jayco for this very purpose.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The fifth wheel utility center has valves that re-configure where the city water inlet goes, depending on what you want to do.
Ahh, gotcha. That makes sense.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #13

Talking

I stick a funnel in the top of a 6' step ladder to the hose connected to the city fill works every time 2008 Eagle 313RKS
Billtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #14

The most important step as said above, is reversing the city connection washer with the pointed cone shaped screen so that the screen points into the RV. This pushes the backflow valve in so that suction can occur. After you finish winterizing, remember to turn the washer so that the screen points out.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:53 PM   #15

Thanks everyone for posting. Pinnacle is winterized.
RAurand had mentioned a hand pump he used to pump anti-freeze.

My wife reminded me of the hand pump we purchased a few years ago but never used. I used the hand pump to prime the pinnacle pump. Opened up the outside shower hot water valve and presto, the pump started consuming the anti-freeze from the container.

I didn't have to reverse the city water connection washer but I can see how that would help.

I did not run anti-freeze through the fridge. Used my compressor to blow out the lines to the fridge. kept the pressure around 30lbs.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivusCraig View Post
Thanks everyone for posting. Pinnacle is winterized.
RAurand had mentioned a hand pump he used to pump anti-freeze.

My wife reminded me of the hand pump we purchased a few years ago but never used. I used the hand pump to prime the pinnacle pump. Opened up the outside shower hot water valve and presto, the pump started consuming the anti-freeze from the container.

I didn't have to reverse the city water connection washer but I can see how that would help.

I did not run anti-freeze through the fridge. Used my compressor to blow out the lines to the fridge. kept the pressure around 30lbs.
How did you prime the water pump using the hand pump ? I am having the same problem with my Pinnicle. Just ordered the hand pump from Amazon. Did you just pump enough in then switch over to the Pinnicle pump to see if it worked ?
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawags45 View Post
How did you prime the water pump using the hand pump ? I am having the same problem with my Pinnicle. Just ordered the hand pump from Amazon. Did you just pump enough in then switch over to the Pinnicle pump to see if it worked ?
Yes, that is exactly what I did. Once the antifreeze started to flow, I turned the pump on it began to pump the antifreeze throughout the system.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #18

Ok I will try that. Thanks
Old 11-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #19

make sure you open and shut all the valves on your docking station at the end of pumping in antifreeze otherwise water will stay in the elbows behind it and freeze and crack them, I have a 2016 fbts and I had to fix a couple of them a few years ago, when they crack you have no suction pressure and your pump will not shut off
gowesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowesley View Post
make sure you open and shut all the valves on your docking station at the end of pumping in antifreeze otherwise water will stay in the elbows behind it and freeze and crack them, I have a 2016 fbts and I had to fix a couple of them a few years ago, when they crack you have no suction pressure and your pump will not shut off
Can you be more specific. Don't know what you mean by shut all the valves on your docking station?

Tags
winterizing