Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #1

Any advice for a first Fifth Wheel owner?

We just bought a new 2016 Eagle 293 RKDS. We also bought a Dodge/Ram 3500 with the Cummins Diesel and dual rear wheels (probably overkill for this trailer).

Previously we have had Jayfeather 23B, so this is our first fifth wheel (and my first diesel).

Any tips as far as driving this rig or as far as good modifications/additions to the trailer?
Fordracer350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordracer350 View Post
We just bought a new 2016 Eagle 293 RKDS. We also bought a Dodge/Ram 3500 with the Cummins Diesel and dual rear wheels (probably overkill for this trailer).

Previously we have had Jayfeather 23B, so this is our first fifth wheel (and my first diesel).

Any tips as far as driving this rig or as far as good modifications/additions to the trailer?

Your trailer will track inside of your truck on corners more than you are used to. Make sure you give yourself plenty of room.

Backing is also a little different in that the trailer responds quicker to small inputs.

Test pull your hitch before retracting your landing gear all the way. Never get yourself between the bed rails and the trailer until your positive your hooked up and tested.

Watch extreme transitions such as leaving a site on a hard corner while climbing a hill and watch your bed rails for contact with the trailer until you know your clearance limits.

Also if you have a short bed truck watch yourself on corners so your front cap doesn't hit your truck if you make a real sharp turn.

Those are just things I've learned along the way.... most are common sense but with the excitement of a new trailer sometimes overlooked...

I much prefer towing my fifth wheel over my previous bumper pulls.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Go to an empty parking lot near you, and practice backing, and turning to see how much the 5er "cheats" on corners. Take a couple of 5 gallon buckets as a target to back around, like you're putting her in a campsite. My first time backing my FIL 5er into his very wide driveway, on a quiet street, was nothing short of eye opening.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Site Team

I try to have a spotter when backing into a site.

The blind spots are larger when backing to the curb side but either way, we use walkie talkies and stay in communication when backing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to JeremiahM Send a message via MSN to JeremiahM
He said walkie talkie lol😎. Ain't used that term in years, great advice though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2017, 05:41 AM   #6

Great advice above, and a lot of the same things we did when new to the fiver. The "pull test" is especially important.

Pulled into a site next to a brand new North Point that had a bit of damage around he pin, and then saw the TV - new F350 with the tailgate gone and big dents in the bed rails. Owner told me it was his first 5er and that he hadn't checked the hitch and just pulled out assuming everything had locked properly.

One of the things I did was paint the back of my hitch jaws white, and my pin yellow to make it very easy to do a visual check on the hitch
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:52 AM   #7

Welcome to the 293RKDS. We just took delivery of our factory ordered 2017 unit on April 26th. Going on the 3 trip with it this weekend. So far no major issues. But have a growing list of minor things for warranty this winter.

We ordered ours with the Morryde pin box. Trailer pulls excellent. Best pulling/riding 5th wheel I've owned or pulled.

No such thing as overkill when it comes to the tow vehicle!! The 293 is heavy for a mid level trailer. Mine scaled at 2180 pin weight. That's without a washer/dryer combo or a genset. That was full water, LP and ready for a weekend trip.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:45 AM   #8

Your 5er is most likely taller than your old rv. I've had close encounters with tree branches in some sites, and there is one RR underpass into a place we frequent where I have to drive the centerline to get under.
I've suggested to my wife that I may need her to ride on the ladder with her phone to let me know if I'm clear. I put a folding camp saw onboard if ever needed for this purpose. Oh, and I measured my height myself and put that on a label on my dash.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #9

What robkelly said about painting the jaw white so you can see it's hitched.
I painted mine also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Your trailer will track inside of your truck on corners more than you are used to. Make sure you give yourself plenty of room.

Backing is also a little different in that the trailer responds quicker to small inputs.

Test pull your hitch before retracting your landing gear all the way. Never get yourself between the bed rails and the trailer until your positive your hooked up and tested.

Watch extreme transitions such as leaving a site on a hard corner while climbing a hill and watch your bed rails for contact with the trailer until you know your clearance limits.

Also if you have a short bed truck watch yourself on corners so your front cap doesn't hit your truck if you make a real sharp turn.

Those are just things I've learned along the way.... most are common sense but with the excitement of a new trailer sometimes overlooked...

I much prefer towing my fifth wheel over my previous bumper pulls.
Yup! Everything he said. He nailed it to a T with that post!!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #11

Everybody has given great input. Take a little bit from everybody, now all you need is driving experience. You have just joined the best towing camper club in the word!!
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
Great advice above, and a lot of the same things we did when new to the fiver. The "pull test" is especially important.

Pulled into a site next to a brand new North Point that had a bit of damage around he pin, and then saw the TV - new F350 with the tailgate gone and big dents in the bed rails. Owner told me it was his first 5er and that he hadn't checked the hitch and just pulled out assuming everything had locked properly.

One of the things I did was paint the back of my hitch jaws white, and my pin yellow to make it very easy to do a visual check on the hitch
Very good advice. I was an RV service advisor and saw a guy drop a brand new 100,000.00 toyhauler on a brand new $85,000.00 dually. Not fun!

Always do a tug test. I can see my jaws clearly when locked but I still raise my legs 1" off the ground then get in truck,lock trailer brakes and tug to make sure it don't come loose. If it does it will only fall 1" and won't contact the bed.

Also, watch overhead very carefully,it's easy to forget how tall your fiver is. I took out a security camera at a grocery store canopy because my tv antenna wasn't all the way down,lol
kreid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eagle 293 rkds, fifth wheel