Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #51
Since I commute every day on I-90 I can't help but wonder if those brand new Jayco trailers being towed by Star Transport at 80+ MPH are doing any good to those tires?

2015 Octane 222 super-lite
2014 Silverado 5.3l 4WD
Scurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #52
This entire thread has been very interesting to read as we have just experienced tire problems. We have had our 2015 Pinnacle 36FBTS for about 2 months and have already had two tire failures. The tires which came on our Pinnacle were RainierST 235/80/R16 with an E rating. Our first tire failure was a ply separation which did not cause damage to our rig, however, the 2nd, which happened just days later, was a blowout and did cause damage to the side of the Pinnacle. I have learned a lot more about tire ratings and issues which can cause tire failures, than I ever thought I might need to know. At this moment, we are considering putting G rated tires on our 5er because of the number of miles we put on every year as well as the fact that we are certainly at or above our gross vehicle weight. We want to insure that we have a load rating that exceeds our needs since we do put so many miles on our rig. My dilemma is that all G rated tires are larger (235/85/R16) and my dealer is trying to find out if we can change from an 80 to an 85 without causing other problems. I am wondering if anyone on this site may have an answer for me or has already made this change without issue.

YooperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #53
I would check the psi for your rims before you put larger heavier tires on them. We have had serious problems with the towmax tires that came on out Eagle Premier 321RLTS (2013). We travel extensively, with many miles. We replaced the bad, and I mean bad tow max tires with goodyear marathons. Because the rims are only rated for 80psi max, we stayed with the 235/80R/16 tire. To go to a larger tire we will have to replace the rims that will allow 110psi per tire, which is the 235/85R/16. We are thinking about buying the better rims so we can put on much better tires. We had one tire (tow max) begin to separate in March when we were in Calif. Took it off and put on the spare and then bought a new spare. Then June 10th we had a blow out in Kansas, which cause damage to the side of the trailer. Bought the goodyear tires at that time for all the wheels. We are now back in Washington state and dealing with insurances for repairs. Just so, you know, when we took off the remaining (three) tow max tires, there were signs of belt separation in them. We could easily have had another blow out if we hadn't changed all the tires.
Glen and Karen
2013 Eagle Premier 321 RLTS
2008 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 6.4 Powerstroke
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #54
Site Team
My 2011 Eagle came with Marathon tires, went thru 2 sets in 2 years. Separations, blowouts, etc...
My rims are rated for 110 psi and I installed 5 G614's and run them at 100psi.

They are pricy but peace of mind is priceless.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:23 PM   #55
It's very interesting to see reports of failures across many makes of tires, fueling the Governments observations that pressure, speed, and improper weight ratings is the primary contributor.

The more I follow this topic, the more I believe that while manufacturing may contribute somewhat, the large volume of off name brand tires is the root of the volume of problems reported... Proportionately so..

And that more likely is the use of incorrect load range, pressure and speed factors.

My .01
Jim & Kim from Colorado

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #56
Simple, and effective fix is to upgrade to the 17.5" rims and H rated tires. Not cheap but neither are repairs. I run a Hi-Spec aluminum wheel rated at 130 psi with Goodyear G114 215/75R/17.5 rubber rated at 4850 lbs and speed rated for 75 mph. I wouldn't spend the money on the G rated upgrade because for only a few hundred dollars more you can have the whole enchilada.

2013 Ram Longhorn 3500 Crew Cab 6.7 Turbo Diesel, Aisin Transmission.
2014 Jayco Eagle Premier 351 RSTS, Mor/Ryde Suspension and Pin Box, 17.5" wheel upgrade, 18k Pull Rite hitch.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote