Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #1

Anyone using residential fridge with inverter?

I'm just curious to know if anyone here has used their onboard inverter with the new Frigidaire Gallery residential fridge yet?

I'm not sure how much time just a single automotive battery will give me before my fridge shuts down.
nhfire152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfire152 View Post
I'm just curious to know if anyone here has used their onboard inverter with the new Frigidaire Gallery residential fridge yet?

I'm not sure how much just a single automotive battery will give me before my fridge shuts down.
We have had an 18 cu ft Residential Refrigerator for over 6 years with no problems, however we have 4 x 6 volt deep cycle batteries (each pair wired in series for 12 volts/pair) and then the 2 pairs wired in parallel. We do not dry camp however we have had several hours without power at campgrounds and no problem with the refer and freezer doing fine. When on the road the batteries combined with the charging from the truck make a great combination.
IMHO you will need a setup like mine or at least a pair of deep cycle 12 volt batteries wired in parallel. A single automotive battery will be marginal at best and is not recommended since other trailer systems are also running on 12 volts.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #3

JAYCO says a fully charged battery will last about 18 hours running the residential SAMSUNG which has a 3.9 amp draw. Look at the amp draw on the FRIGIDAIRE for a comparison
Old 08-25-2015, 10:13 PM   #4

Thank you! I will check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
JAYCO says a fully charged battery will last about 18 hours running the residential SAMSUNG which has a 3.9 amp draw. Look at the amp draw on the FRIGIDAIRE for a comparison
Old 08-26-2015, 04:43 AM   #5

I boondock occasionally for a few days at a time and I have a built in generator, but my Norcold does fine for days at a time and hardly uses any electrical power. With a residential refrigerator I would have to run my generator several hours a day to keep the batteries charged, not to mention the wear on the batteries.

I don't see a residential refrigerator in my future. I know the cooling/freezing advantages, but just not for me.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I boondock occasionally for a few days at a time and I have a built in generator, but my Norcold does fine for days at a time and hardly uses any electrical power. With a residential refrigerator I would have to run my generator several hours a day to keep the batteries charged, not to mention the wear on the batteries.

I don't see a residential refrigerator in my future. I know the cooling/freezing advantages, but just not for me.
Totally agree and understand for dry camping/boondocking a residential refrigerator is difficult to justify for the reasons you state -- unless there were additional sources of power available like a serious solar system.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Grumpy, as we all have learned, sometimes the hard way, engineers' estimations are often based on the theoretical, which in practicality almost never exists.

Cheers.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #8

I ran my Samsung Residential on the inverter, but only for a 7hr road trip once.
No problem
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
I ran my Samsung Residential on the inverter, but only for a 7hr road trip once.
No problem
There shouldn't be when towing, your tow vehicle will help keep the battery charged.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #10

So many people with Chevy's don't know that even with the factory trailer towing package, the Chevy won't charge the batteries unless someone adds the fuse to the fuse box for that feature. I don't remember from what yrs to what yrs, you also have to connect to wire to the lug in the fuse box. GM must think that the majority of people that pull trailers don't need that aux 12volt line on the plug. I guess it saves them thousands over the years by not putting a fuse.
gaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #11

My last two had the fuse already in place, I didn't add it. ?? 2011 & 2015
Old 08-26-2015, 06:43 PM   #12

That's good news Grumpy, my newest Chevy is a 2010 and it wasn't prepped. My 09, 07, 05, 03 were not either. Maybe GM finally figured it was the right thing to do, my dealer always did it for free, but I am sure GM had to pay them.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaserv View Post
That's good news Grumpy, my newest Chevy is a 2010 and it wasn't prepped. My 09, 07, 05, 03 were not either. Maybe GM finally figured it was the right thing to do, my dealer always did it for free, but I am sure GM had to pay them.
I have an 07 and knew nothing of this! Our 377 with residential fridge will be here in 6 weeks. Where does this fuse need to go? I am not too mechanically inclined.
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #14

Here is a good explanation: "If you do not have power at the 7-way on your vehicle you will want to check a couple of connections under the hood to complete the trailer wiring package on your vehicle. The ring terminal for the 12-volt power lead for the 7-way trailer connector is located to the left of the power distribution box, and is taped to a wire harness under the power brake booster. You are looking for a red wire with a ring terminal on the end. This wire needs to be connected to the right side stud at the front of the power distribution box. You will also want to make sure there is a 40 amp fuse installed adjacent to the stud."
Old 08-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #15

Quote:
There shouldn't be when towing, your tow vehicle will help keep the battery charged.
I'm aware of the TV charging the batteries, my point was the inverter worked as it should.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:47 PM   #16

We got to use it last weekend in our maiden voyage. I think as long as the fridge is already cooled and the doors remain closed, a single automotive type battery will work. My inverter displays the voltage while on and after about a 2.5 hour long trip, the voltage had only dropped .02

I'd say that's pretty good!