Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-15-2016, 05:49 AM   #1

Axle Flip Math

Some on the RV.NET forum seem to think if my FW is 5" nose high and I raise the axles by 2" this will not leave me with 3" nose high. They say it will give me more than the 2" as far as leveling the trailer. Is there any truth to this? I have looked all over the internet and can't find anything about this. Does someone have a formula to use to find out?
davisenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:05 AM   #2

We looked into it when we got our 25RKS, and talked to an engineer... found out the following: It would void the Jayco warranty, it would void the axle and running gear extended warranties, the center of gravity would be raised, and make the TT dangerously unstable, and decrease the gas mileage (he said because it would be forcing more air under the TT, rather than over it).

All in all, not worth it.

Consult with an engineer... Oh, almost forgot, the insurance company said that they could no longer insure it as it would become a "structurally modified" unit, and it would have to be re-certified as safe.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:26 AM   #3

Double post. Sorry
Old 05-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't answer my question.
I'm dropping the leaf springs to the lower hole. You can request this be done from the factory.

Will the 2" raise give me more than 2" of leveling?
Old 05-15-2016, 06:44 AM   #5

Think lever and fulcrum here... a 2" drop 20' away "should" amount to more at the kingpin
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Think lever and fulcrum here... a 2" drop 20' away "should" amount to more at the kingpin
This. The longer the wheelbase the greater the effect. BTW, an axle flip is moving the axles from over to under the springs. Yours are already there.
Krusegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusegroup View Post
This. The longer the wheelbase the greater the effect. BTW, an axle flip is moving the axles from over to under the springs. Yours are already there.

I understand the axle flip thing. It was easier to type in the title. I was typing from a tablet and those things are brutal to type on.

Is there a formula I can use to find out how much it will affect? Can I expect around 2.5" or am I looking at double?
Old 05-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #8

This may help

Lever Mechanical Advantage Equation and Calculator - Case #1 | Engineers Edge | www.engineersedge.com

2015 Jayco 38FLSA - Loaded -

B&W Companion 20K slider hitch
KC_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:30 AM   #9

If you're dropping to the lowest hole in the brackets, it's an easy job. On my last fiver, a 30.5 RLS, I experienced the same thing. When I had the dealer drop them to the lowest hole (I cited safe towing and they did it at no charge), it was still 1.5" nose high but towed so much better.
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:04 PM   #10

Ours was only slightly nose high, but wanted more wheel skirt clearance so had the dealer do the deed when packing wheel bearings since wheels were going to be off. We are level now. The shop guy called this "jaking". The change to last bolt holes was 2 1/4" higher at axles. The hitch pin doesn't go up too.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #11

Umm - can someone explain the lever analogy. Sure, if you are wondering about weight distribution....but the pin is fixed, so if the wheels go up, the nose comes down an equal amount to get closer to level. You aren't moving the fulcrum longer or shorter, just up and down......
Old 05-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #12

I have to disagree with some of what your engineer friend said. We have added a sub frame to our trailer and it's nice a leveled now. We took her on a 700-mile round trip a few weeks back and had no issues whatsoever. The trailer did not sway and the center of gravity did not change! Our gas mileage was actually better than before we had her raised. And, the notion that more air would go under the trailer more than the top is silly at best. The air has to hit the TV first, then the trailer. So, our TV's center of gravity has completely changed too? LOL!

Maybe instead of talking to an engineer who (I'm assuming) never towed a trailer, you should speak to a real RV frame shop that has done this mod for a variety of frames, thousand times over? Adding a sub frame is very common for Class A RVs and fifth wheels, and I for one, have not had one iota of an issue with it. Now, I have the peace of mind that both my axles and all four tires will be sharing the load equally, with less risk of tire blowouts and over stressed rear axle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
We looked into it when we got our 25RKS, and talked to an engineer... found out the following: It would void the Jayco warranty, it would void the axle and running gear extended warranties, the center of gravity would be raised, and make the TT dangerously unstable, and decrease the gas mileage (he said because it would be forcing more air under the TT, rather than over it).

Consult with an engineer... Oh, almost forgot, the insurance company said that they could no longer insure it as it would become a "structurally modified" unit, and it would have to be re-certified as safe.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
Umm - can someone explain the lever analogy. Sure, if you are wondering about weight distribution....but the pin is fixed, so if the wheels go up, the nose comes down an equal amount to get closer to level. You aren't moving the fulcrum longer or shorter, just up and down......
I don't understand it either, but it's true. My trailer was 5 in nose high. I dropped the leaf springs 2" today and now the trailer is 2" nose high. Raising the leaf springs 2" corrected my out of level by 3".
Old 05-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post

CONCUR!!!!!!

Please don't for your safety and others on the road. I have seen a trailer flip after a spring over. I knew him and advised him not to.
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote