Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2016, 06:45 PM   #1

Axle mis-alignment?

Ok, this post is for a friend who is bringing their new Mobile Suites ( i know not a jayco product) but I thought the collective experience may shed some insight. They traded the Open Range in for the Mobile Suites and were taking it back from FLA to VT. They got about 1k miles to PA and on one axle the tires were BALD! They are in the process of getting new tires from a CW to transport it there and have it checked out.

The questions are:

1. does this sound like mis-alignment of shaft?
2. If so, why was it not found when unit was delivered to dealer in FLA from manufacturer?
3. Could something have happened on the dealer's lot that caused this?

Thank you
Old 06-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #2

Well, I never did complete my degree from Tire University, but here's a thought. If both tires started out good, and don't have broken belts, and were properly inflated then maybe the axle is not installed square with the frame. This would cause lots of wear real quick on the tires. This could also happen suddenly - maybe the trailer hit a curb real hard and just bent or knocked the axle out of alignment, for example, or maybe a spring hanger broke or the trailer had other suspension mechanical damage.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #3

Yes, it could be misalignment. Easy enough to check at a dealership. I've seen a method that uses a straight edge from one tire to the other. If out of alignment, the straight edge would not touch either the front or back of the other tire.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:28 PM   #4

Measure from leading edge of axle to front edge of RV.. Should be exactly the same...+/- 1/16th max.

Might be able to adjust axle at the spring hanger.
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #5

Check for a bent wheel as well. Curbs and potholes can take a toll on axles, especially on a heavy fiver.
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #6

Well, my friends got new tires mounted via Camping World and took unit to a alignment shop and were told that the axle was not aligned properly, had it aligned and are on the road again. I am sure they will be contacting DRV Suites for reimbursement.