Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2017, 06:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I like the box. But I have my front storage full of stuff. I'm going to rethink my "stuff" storage.
Three seasons without use, and it's out of the trailer! That's how I keep my "stuff" in check. The only exception is the few supplies and aids that I would need to make an emergency repair. I have a tire changing ramp, a 12' coil of PEX (stuffed in behind the panel where the water filter resides), and a few other items...

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #22

Klassic you have to stop hauling all that junk around. You can put all the batteries you want in the front storage compartment......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #23

Under the bed is full..the basement is full...the front is full. I even added a shelf for double height full.
What am I doing wrong?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #24

Klassic after your trip at end of month, just completely empty front storage compartment. Then go get the batteries you want and install them in front storage compartment.
If you do go to disc brakes at some point, you can install the actuator where your batteries use to be.
Then build something like Fire_ Instructor did to cover batteries.
That's what I will do.....except the top will be hinged or removable to check batteries...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
OK so another stupid question. We had a Yamaha 2400 as well since it ran the 12500 btu AC in our old trailer. With the new trailer we don't plan on boondocking where we need the AC so am considering solar panels for the same reasons you guys did.

My only hangup has been hair blow dryer. Yep, the wife uses one every morning no matter where we are. And, no, the 12V ones are horrible. I really don't want more than 2 batteries (don't want to overload our trailer).

The alternative is to get a small generator (like Honda 2000) but I don't really want the issues if I can avoid them.

So, would a 150W setup with 2 batteries (probably 2 12V) work or would I need a 300W set.

And what happens if it rains all day? Are you kinda out of luck?

charlie
Lets assume that a hair dryer uses 1200 Watts. To run that on an inverter would require at least 100amps from your batteries. I think that is too much for your run of the mill 6 volts.
The good news is that because the hair dryer doesn't run for long it doesn't consume a lot of battery capacity. Only around 8-10 Ah's for around 5 minutes of use.
I would think that a bank of at least 4 lead acid batteries would be needed for that power draw. Or a lithium battery would provide the amperage as well.

You would also need a 1500Watt inverter at least. Probably a 2000W inverter would be better suited.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #26

Solar 29UR Precept

We decided to install a small solar array (200W, expandable to 300W) on our 2016 Jayco precept 29UR to support limited dry camping and long driving trips across the country. Our goal was to self-install a simple and cost-effective solar system that would maintain the batteries while the RV is stored and give us just enough power to run LED lights, fans and electronics for 2-3 days. Not counting the 6V golf cart batteries, which we were going to purchase anyway, the system cost less than $900 installed.

Why flexible amorphous solar panels
  • Lightweight
  • Flat/flush mount to fiberglass roof without screws, no wind noise, nearly invisible from ground
  • Purportedly perform better in shady conditions
  • Do not require titling

Details here - http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ion-43524.html
sjarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
If you do go to disc brakes at some point, you can install the actuator where your batteries use to be.
Then build something like Fire_ Instructor did to cover batteries.
That's what I will do.....except the top will be hinged or removable to check batteries
My box is hung on the back & right side sheet metal, by a aluminum L-bracket on the underside of the top of the box, that drops behind a wood strip with a ¼" slot on the the entire box lifts out easily using the two handles that you see un the top.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote