Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #1

Back in the Solar Game - And Very Happy About It!!!!

WARNING – This post is incredibly long!!!!

I finished installing my 300w solar system on my new 377 RLBH today, and I couldn't be happier about how well it came out!

I’ve been asked a number of questions over the years about the solar power installation and supporting modifications that we recently completed. (Yea, right…. Is any project ever really completed? I’m already looking at things to add to make it even better!) Anyway, I thought that I’d try to put together a single post that would explain our installation and answer any questions.

First, a little bit about us and why (we believe) solar was the right choice for us. We live in Upstate New York, in the Albany area. Our 5'er is a North Point (Jayco) 377 RLBH. The entire system was taken off of my previous 2009 Rockwood, because when we traded-up to the Jayco, the dealer didn't want it!

We typically camp in a variety of places, including some very nice RV resorts, private campgrounds, state parks with limited or no utilities, NASCAR races, and an occasional parking lot while in transit more than a day. One of our favorite trips is one that we try to repeat every other year, to Assateague IslandState Park, in Maryland. Camping at Assateague is truly boondocking. There are no services in all but one of the camping loops. Water needs to be hauled in, waste hauled out, and if power is needed, it means “disturbing the peace” by running a generator.

For boondocking, we have a 2400W Yamaha (quiet!) generator, purchased after our first NASCAR camping weekend without one, but using it means that someone needs to fuel it (me!), start it (also me!), keep an eye on it while it’s running (me again!), and then secure it when completed (yup, it’s me!). In spite of the Yamaha being quiet, this activity still requires “attention” – detracting from my camping leisure, burning long-dead dinosaurs whose remains directly fill the bank accounts of a society that includes those who would commit acts of terrorism (I’m a firefighter who worked on The Pile at Ground Zero in NYC post-9-11), and emiting CO and other toxins into my campsite!

So, the major components that I removed from the Rockwood, and reinstalled on the North Point include:

Four 6-volt golf-cart batteries, wired in series, then parallel, to be two BIG 12-volt batteries.

Roof Mounted Solar Collection - Two 150W Suntech Panels (34.4v)

Homemade two axis, four way tilting mounts – The design attaches (with removable pivot-pins) the panels to the roof of the unit in six points for travel or to use flat. The pivots, one in each corner, allow for the panel to be lifted on either end of the long axis. The hinges, three on each side, allow the panels to be lifted on either side of the short axis. Prop-rods of various lengths, with pin holes drilled every inch, allow for angle adjustment of the panel to accommodate different latitudes, seasons, and whether the unit is oriented N/S or E/W. For example, at my house (near Albany, NY @ latitude 42.6710), in the Spring or Fall I need a 39.5 degree angle. If parked N/S, the panels will be lifted from the North end a height of 43”. If parked E/W, the angle stays the same but the lift to achieve it is 21.5” (so I round up or down for early or late season). It the summer the two lifts are 17” and 8.5”, respectively.

Panel Disconnect – Installed to disconnect power from panels to controller for maintenance, storage, etc.

Rogue MTP-3024 Controller/Charger – I cannot say enough GOOD about this controller, Rogue, and their owner, Marc Loring! I bought this unit new, in 2009. Because of the lay-out of the Rockwood, the best place to mount it was right next to my side of the bed, where I could easily see the display. With the layout of the North Point, and the rooftop "prewire", the controller was moved to the basement, and the display is difficult to see. I contacted Rogue and had them send me a remote display, which had been available when I bought the unit, but I never ordered. When it arrived, it didn't work. After doing some troubleshooting with Marc, we determined that the problem was with my controller, so I took it back out, and sent it to him. He found a broken diode, but since (he said) I couldn't have gotten to it due to location, and that it wouldn't have been evident as I never needed the remote feature, he fixed my 2009 controller in 2016 as a WARRANTY repair! No cost! This DEFINES "customer service"!!!!

Xantrex PW2000 pure sine wave inverter - Turn my "battery bank" into 120v!

Next step will be to run 120v Romex from the inverter to a spot next to the 5'er cord connection, and install a 120v outlet there, powered by the inverter. Once done, I'll just have to plug in my dogbone adapter into the adjacent outlet.

I turned it all on today, at about 4:30PM, as the sky was darkening for some incoming storms, and the sun getting lower in the west...

After sundown, the system had topped-off my batteries (I had shut-off the charger in my 120v converter), delivering 71Wh, at 161 peak watts @ 5.1A. The system had been on "absorb" for only 10 minutes, then went to "Float" for 50 minutes before going to sleep.

So that about wraps it up. About the only thing left that I haven’t told you is blood-type: (B neg).

Some photos of the install below:

My home-made panel mounts:

Utilizing the North Point roof solar connection:

The panel install:

My apologies for being so long, but I warned you!!!! I hope that you got something from the read, and hopefully this answered any questions, and gave you some acceptable solar meat to chew on for a while…...

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #2

Just curious and not related to Solar, but is the wiring secured with spots of Dicor and is that the way this is done...

I'm a big guy and got up on my roof today to look at my Trav'ler install. The coax was secured to the roof as you did it. It struck me as odd.... just wondering if this is how it's done... never really thought about it before.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #3

I dabbed the underside of the wires and the hold-down in DiCor, then screwed them all down. Once they were all in place, I piled on the DiCor! No such thing as "too much".....

There is a nylon hold-down, and a stainless steel screw holding each of those wires, under each of those DiCor mounds....

Old 07-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #4

Newbie Stupid Question

Okay, I am new to the whole RV thing, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question:

How do you know where to drill holes in your roof so that you don't hit something important or go through the roof and make a hole in your ceiling?

It looks like you did an awesome job, I was just curious on how you knew where to drill holes? I would be so afraid that I would drill and either hit something crucial or make a hole in my ceiling.. and then my wife would yell at me...maybe that is what I am really afraid of!

Tim in Canutillo
TimHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post
Okay, I am new to the whole RV thing, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question:

How do you know where to drill holes in your roof so that you don't hit something important or go through the roof and make a hole in your ceiling?
One of the selling points of the North Point, Tim! It was pre-wired from the roof to the basement. That roof block, that I plugged my splitters into was factory. The wires terminated in the basement, and I just connected them to my controller.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:59 PM   #6

When I installed mine, I asked for a relevant set of drawings from Jayco, including the roof, to avoid problems. I also drilled carefully to just break through and no more.

And nice job!
2013 RAM 1500 V6/TF8/3.55
sebring96hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #7

I've never seen this thread before. Fire Instructor.

I have questions now.
How did you get 4 6v into the poorly designed battery compartment?
I had to take out the shelf to get 2- 220ah batteries in. That's all I can do.
Soon I'm getting 2 420ah and they are 125# apiece. I would rather have 4 smaller ones.

My panels are 5'3" long. I wanted to put on a middle mount under them like you did. But when I walked on the roof there was too much flex on the trusses and instead of the panel tilting with the flex of the roof (with only mounts on top and bottom)....the panel would support its self on the middle mounts when stepping near the top or bottom and force the mount nearest my foot to loosen off the roof. So I stuck with putting on only 4 mounts.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

Klassic,

Battery box question: Simple answer is that I didn't!

I mounted the batteries in the nose storage compartment, then installed my cord reel where the battery had been. Had to remove the upper shelf for the reel to fit in that space.

Built a ventilated cover (pegboard) to protect the batteries and allow for nose compartment storage:

I didn't note excessive flex while I was on my roof (and I'm a "svelt" 270#)!!! There's enough play in my connections that the connection allows for the varying roof height.

My original plan was to install the Unistrut track the entire length of the panel, but in haste, I accidentally ordered the Unistrut to the exact panel length, instead of a few inches extra for each end. Aluminum Unistrut is EXPENSIVE! I was lucky as I got it at cost (still expensive) from the service center that we have our fire apparatus served at. (Aluminum Unistrut is used extensively to hold shelving in emergency vehicles.) Rather than waste the long pieces, I had the full lengths cut to 12" sections, and that's what you see mounted.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #9

And the Controller and Inverter are mounted in the little "alcove" in the basement compartment, behind where the cord reel is, where the hose/cord hook was factory mounted.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #10

You would be amazed at the number of strange and inquiring looks that THIS gets in any campground, when people first see it!!! LOL!!

The "outlet" that I added is extended from the outlet on the Xantrex. It supplies 120v from the inverter, which, when I plug the trailer umbilical into it, supplies 120v throughout the trailer. I just need to put the fridge on propane and turn off the breaker in the breaker panel that supplies the 12v converter.

I usually secure (cable lock) my generator to the rear bumper support, so the cord is cut long enough that I can just unplug it from the outlet, and plug it into the generator when necessary.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:20 PM   #11

I like the box. But I have my front storage full of stuff. I'm going to rethink my "stuff" storage.
I can barely check the water level in my 6volts now. I have to stick my head and a shoulder in to hold a light over the holes.
The new batteries are 4" taller. Water checking will be impossible.

Did that full length shelf above the batteries come stock, or did you add it?
I don't have one.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #12

Old 05-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #13

OK so another stupid question. We had a Yamaha 2400 as well since it ran the 12500 btu AC in our old trailer. With the new trailer we don't plan on boondocking where we need the AC so am considering solar panels for the same reasons you guys did.

My only hangup has been hair blow dryer. Yep, the wife uses one every morning no matter where we are. And, no, the 12V ones are horrible. I really don't want more than 2 batteries (don't want to overload our trailer).

The alternative is to get a small generator (like Honda 2000) but I don't really want the issues if I can avoid them.

So, would a 150W setup with 2 batteries (probably 2 12V) work or would I need a 300W set.

And what happens if it rains all day? Are you kinda out of luck?

charlie
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #14

klassic - The shelf over the batteries was stock. I keep a bunch of stuff tucked up there... Lead cords, extra garden hose, macerator pump, some tools, etc.

vcbice - I usually wind-up starting my Yamaha 2400 for an hour or so in the morning, so that we can use the microwave, toaster, and Kuerig to get through breakfast. But rarely beyond that.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #15

Nice job on your install Fire_Instructor!! Looks good. Someday when I go to 6volt batteries and add more........that's where they are going.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #16

In my 16 Eagle I removed that metal box from the factory.And added 1 12 volt.When they die I like your 4 6V battery set up. How did you secure them? Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #17

We have 275 w panel and MPPT controller on our 16 Eagle. Odley enough even on a cloudy day it still charges some what. Must admit in Phoenix we don't have to many cloudy days!LOL
Old 05-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #18

I wondered if you could get a third battery in that compartment!Nice fit.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
I like your 4 6V battery set up. How did you secure them? Thanks
My four batteries are held down with simple battery clamps, just like these: Lynx Battery Hold Down 06057 - Read 1 Reviews on Lynx #06057

These are from Autozone. I also found them in many other retailers..

Old 05-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
I wondered if you could get a third battery in that compartment!Nice fit.
You can get 6 batteries in there. There is a shelf above.
Unfortunately you can't get more then 2 6volts in