Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
Repairing a tire with a puncture wound is very common. As long as the hole is up in the tread area, its not a safety issue. The newest style plugs will look like a black pencil eraser in the tread area. Tire repair facilitates routinely repair trailer and automotive tires this way. If the damage is on or near the sidewall, the tire cannot be repaired. If its a slice or cut in the tread area, there needs to be a boot or patch placed on the damaged area from the inside.
Any puncture needs a patch on the inside. Think about it, the plug will not prevent air from migrating past the inner surface (lining) of the tire. When compressed air is allowed to migrate into the plies, a separation is likely to happen. That's a bubble, not good. Add to that, forcing a plug into an opening can further the damage already done, and often does. The only reason to plug a tire is to save time.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #22

Im not going to debate whether its "acceptable" by your standards or not. Im telling you that tires are repaired everyday with success with plugs. I have one on my truck and one on the DW car as we speak.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Repairing a tire with a puncture wound is very common. As long as the hole is up in the tread area, its not a safety issue. The newest style plugs will look like a black pencil eraser in the tread area. Tire repair facilitates routinely repair trailer and automotive tires this way. If the damage is on or near the sidewall, the tire cannot be repaired. If its a slice or cut in the tread area, there needs to be a boot or patch placed on the damaged area from the inside.
I agree. I've had a couple tires plugged with no issues. However, on a brand new unit, for what you pay, you had better get brand new tires. No exceptions.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #24
Lost in the Woods

Just trying to help.

From the Rubber Manufacturers Association:

"Remove the tire from the wheel.
Inspect the tire inside and outside. The tire may be repaired when the puncture:
Is 1/4 inch or smaller
Is located on the tread
Repair the tread with a plug, and repair the lining with a patch.
Repairs cannot overlap.
Never repair a large hole or one that's in the sidewall. It isn't safe and could lead to a dangerous blowout.

A plug by itself, or a patch by itself, is not acceptable. But a safer tire repair, done to the RMA standards, can give you thousands of miles more use from your tire."

Don't worry, I won't be further bothering anyone here that has made up their mind already. Happy camping.....
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #25
Site Team

I know of several tire shops that choose not to plug tires. I would have a problem if both sides were sealed.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post
Out of curiosity, because we pick a new trailer in a few weeks, how did you know. Tires look worn, dealer tell you, etc... Usually plugs are tough to see. Only asking so I can be on the lookout. Thanks.
I spotted the plug by accident, I just happen to park the trailer in such a position the the plug was visible.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #27

Quote:
I guess it was a shock because I thought I got four new tires with a new trailer.
The repair is in the tread area, But since I don't know the circumstances as to how the tire was damaged I'm still not happy with it. I've had a tire blow on a trailer,I don't want to experience that again.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Wis. View Post
I guess it was a shock because I thought I got four new tires with a new trailer.
The repair is in the tread area, But since I don't know the circumstances as to how the tire was damaged I'm still not happy with it. I've had a tire blow on a trailer,I don't want to experience that again.
I can certainly understand your position. I would have to assume that a nail or screw was found in the tire during the repair process.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Wis. View Post
snip.....Did you know that its not uncommon for jayco to plug (repair) a tire at the factory and reinstall it on a new trailer. I have one on my trailer, and this is the story I was given......snip
I guess I could see it happening when in transit from the factory to the RV dealer, or even at the RV dealer's lot....., but a common practice at the factory I find an interesting story.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #30

Nothing wrong with plugging a puncture in the tread area, it will last as long as the tire if done properly. We used to plug tires all the time back when I worked in a tire shop. Never had one come back with a problem. However, on a brand new unit, I would expect a brand new replacement tire for it. If they won't do it, maybe they will swap the spare tire over for you, and use the plugged tire for a spare if you aren't comfortable with it.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #31

I would be a ass and demand - request a non plugged tire from my dealer. Wouldn't care what trailer they stole it from.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
I would be a ass and demand - request a non plugged tire from my dealer. Wouldn't care what trailer they stole it from.
This is my plan when I get the trailer back from the factory, if they haven't replaced it already.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #33
Site Team

My question to them would be why does a tire that has never been on the road need a plug in it? How can this be a common practice at the factory since the newly made trailers have never been towed yet?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #34

My guess is that the tire repair was done somewhere after it left the manufacture and before the OP took delivery.....just a guess.

If it was repaired correctly from the inside I wouldn't worry about it. If it has one of those cheezy plugs you double up and push through from the outside, that forsure wouldn't work with me.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
My question to them would be why does a tire that has never been on the road need a plug in it? How can this be a common practice at the factory since the newly made trailers have never been towed yet?
I'll bet they're Jayco screws in the tires
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threebutchers View Post
I'll bet they're Jayco screws in the tires
I think you right on the money. You find screws laying around here and there inside a new trailer, so I suspect screws are laying here and there on the floor where they assembling the trailers.
With the luck I've had with this trailer I'll have more plugged tires on my trailer when I get it back that it did when I dropped it off at the dealer to be picked up for factory repair.

But this is the least of my many concerns about this tailer at this time. With one year of ownership of my 26.5rls coming up the end of July, I have to say it has not been pleasant!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #37

Get it back yet? Fixed?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #38

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
Get it back yet? Fixed?
I picked it up today. And I'm DISAPPOINTED? On the cap replacement I had the dealer reseal several areas on the cap to roof seal on the top of the trailer. When I got it home I noticed more areas on the side seams that had little or no silicone sealing the cap to the trim, so I repaired that.
The slide is still crooked in the opening, at this time it goes in and out without jamming. We'll see for how long. I had been through the same issue 4 times with the dealer. Something is out of square, but it doesn't appear diagnostic skills are part of a factory repair.
Since our trailer just went on a 1200 mile road trip and we when without a trailer for 3 weeks I had higher expectations .
The Tire-still needs to be replaced. The factory sent it back as is. I went after the dealer again today to get it replaced. I'm sure it was a waste of time, but its become one additional thorn in my side.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #39

Thats a real bummer. Hopefully everything works out for you. Is the slide sealing out and in?

I posted earlier in the thread about my concerns picking up our new Eagle HT 29.5, but so far everything is good. Couse i could find some nit pick stuff i dont really like....but im not sure any of the other brands coming off an assembly line would be any better.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #40

just as a side note, has anyone seen the youtube video rom the jayco factory? its crazy! guys running around like crack heads! no wonder there are screws all over the factory floor!

Socalken is offline   Reply With Quote