Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #1

Unhappy Back to Jayco it goes

We just dropped our 5th wheel off at the dealer's for transport pickup and delivery back to the Jayco factory in Indiana.
The living room slide has jammed, ripped exterior window seals out because either the slide or exterior wall opening is defiantly out of square. This has been going on since we bought it last July. The front cap is cracked in more than a dozen places ranging in length from a couple of inches to two and 1/2 feet.
Both issues are supposed to be resolved at the factory repair facility. I guess we're supposed to be happy, but this trailer has really put a damper on our RVing enjoyment! This is our sixth trailer (second Jayco) and defiantly the poorest quality unit we had.
So much for rving the next 3 weeks or so.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #2

Thats no good, but at least their trying to fix the problem.

Im starting to have second thoughts on the Eagle HTs after reading here for a week, im supposed to take delivery of mine on Thursday.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #3

Smile

Bad luck on that 5'er but glad that Jayco has stepped up to the plate.
I woouldn't count out Jayco for some assembly issues...how many recalls do you hear about from GM and Ford? Certainly that doesn't make it right but s*** happens when somebody makes a mistake.
Sorry about the 3 week layoff Northern Wis. but in a month you will be RVing again. Happy RVing...
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #4

I thought it was on the way. Just talked to the dealer and its still sitting on their lot. I was told to have it at the dealer on the 16th. whats a few days, I didn't buy it to use anyway.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #5

Hope everything works out for you to your satisfaction......

Hang In There!!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Wis. View Post
I thought it was on the way. Just talked to the dealer and its still sitting on their lot. I was told to have it at the dealer on the 16th. whats a few days, I didn't buy it to use anyway.
Maybe they are waiting for the truck to arrive that is towing my new trailer here, mine should be here on Friday, so yours might get picked up then.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #7

Wow, I'm felling better about my choice the more I read here. Hope they get you fixed up.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:51 AM   #8

Jayco has taken care of all of my problems with no hesitation since I bought new in August 2010. I have only had minor issues, not major, but they still stepped right up an handled all of the issues.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #9

Quote:
The way it normally works is that Jayco wants a five day window to pick up the unit. Meaning that if your scheduled date was on a Monday, they could pick it up on any day of that week. We just went thru that in March. They actually picked ours up on the second day of the scheduled week.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #10

Ela- I wish they would have told me about the 5 day pickup window. I was told get the trailer over there early morning, we'll pick it up in the aft. or the next day.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #11

Have you talked to the dealer about a loaner rig? Wouldn't hurt and the least they can do is say no.
Oh, and I have a tent... Somewhere around here....
Rolling Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Ela- I wish they would have told me about the 5 day pickup window. I was told get the trailer over there early morning, we'll pick it up in the aft. or the next day.
Your dealer is the one that dropped the ball on that one. I think it's standard policy with Jayco to have that 5 day window. They don't know to the day when a carrier will be at the dealership..
Old 06-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #13

(Your dealer is the one that dropped the ball on that one. I think it's standard policy with Jayco to have that 5 day window. They don't know to the day when a carrier will be at the dealership..)

I'm not sure if either my dealer in Bloomer, or Jayco can find the handle on the ball for this fiasco!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #14

In truth we've had issues with our 2011 31.5 RLTS. It has been back to the factory to have a crack repaired in the exterior wall, at the same time they replaced an axle that was wearing tires out prematurely. The dealership has had it back a couple of times for various smaller repairs at Jayco's expense. At the end of the day tho, Jayco has continually stepped up and dealt with the issues. I know of no other manufacturer that would still be helping 2 1/2 years after purchase. It's aggravating and frustrating to have manufacturing problems. It would be a whole lot more traumatic if the manufacturer threw in the towel and said you are on your own!!!!!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
In truth we've had issues with our 2011 31.5 RLTS. It has been back to the factory to have a crack repaired in the exterior wall, at the same time they replaced an axle that was wearing tires out prematurely. The dealership has had it back a couple of times for various smaller repairs at Jayco's expense. At the end of the day tho, Jayco has continually stepped up and dealt with the issues. I know of no other manufacturer that would still be helping 2 1/2 years after purchase. It's aggravating and frustrating to have manufacturing problems. It would be a whole lot more traumatic if the manufacturer threw in the towel and said you are on your own!!!!!
It sounds like Jayco took care of you with your trailer issues, I sure hope we have a similar experience! This whole new trailer experience thus far has been frustrating, its time to actually try to enjoy the trailer.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #16

I received a call yesterday stating the front cap replacement and slide repair on our trailer were completed.
I'm very uneasy about the stated slide repair. According to jayco all that was needed was an adjustment. (The lead tech. at my Bloomer, WI dealership adjusted it 4 times.) They also stated that the dealer had replaced the slide decals to match their adjustment, and now that its properly adjusted they are "way" misaligned. They must have did that before we bought the trailer, The decals were misaligned when we picked it up. Because the slides were always open when we looked at the trailer we didn't notice it until until after it was ours. (service dept. comment on the decals-they are always misaligned)
1200 miles for a slide adjustment-I sure hope it corrected the problem.
SIDE NOTE
Did you know that its not uncommon for jayco to plug (repair) a tire at the factory and reinstall it on a new trailer. I have one on my trailer, and this is the story I was given.
I want them to replace it, we'll see what happens.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #17

WOW!!! Did not know that about the tire plugging! I would be concerned about safety issue(s).

Hopefully the repairs are done to your satisfaction!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Using plugs to repair tires has not been acceptable for years now. Maybe decades. I can't believe they are doing that. Beware!
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #19

Quote:
I received a call yesterday stating the front cap replacement and slide repair on our trailer were completed.
I'm very uneasy about the stated slide repair. According to jayco all that was needed was an adjustment. (The lead tech. at my Bloomer, WI dealership adjusted it 4 times.) They also stated that the dealer had replaced the slide decals to match their adjustment, and now that its properly adjusted they are "way" misaligned. They must have did that before we bought the trailer, The decals were misaligned when we picked it up. Because the slides were always open when we looked at the trailer we didn't notice it until until after it was ours. (service dept. comment on the decals-they are always misaligned)
1200 miles for a slide adjustment-I sure hope it corrected the problem.
SIDE NOTE
Did you know that its not uncommon for jayco to plug (repair) a tire at the factory and reinstall it on a new trailer. I have one on my trailer, and this is the story I was given.
I want them to replace it, we'll see what happens.
Out of curiosity, because we pick a new trailer in a few weeks, how did you know. Tires look worn, dealer tell you, etc... Usually plugs are tough to see. Only asking so I can be on the lookout. Thanks.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #20

Repairing a tire with a puncture wound is very common. As long as the hole is up in the tread area, its not a safety issue. The newest style plugs will look like a black pencil eraser in the tread area. Tire repair facilitates routinely repair trailer and automotive tires this way. If the damage is on or near the sidewall, the tire cannot be repaired. If its a slice or cut in the tread area, there needs to be a boot or patch placed on the damaged area from the inside.