Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #1

back up camera prep wiring North Point

I ordered the Voyager backup camera system that was on the "It Is Prepped" hanging tag on a new 2017 Northpoint 301RETS with luxury package. Older threads said the 12V wiring was inside the middle overhead parking light, The new ones have 3 smaller LED lights, 1" diameter, than the PDF I got from the older thread. Also left and right top sides have same lights. Where do I drill to find 12 feed wires?
NorthPoint5r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #2

I would call Jayco. They should be able to advise you on the install.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #3

I would call Jayco, they have all that information and should be able to tell you where to drill safely. Also you probably should ask
the best way to remove the clearance light without wrecking it......
Old 03-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #4

Sorry about double post......it kept saying, message is too short. Never had that happen before.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #5

Interested in what you find for an answer on this, I have given thought to adding a camera, and had the same question
Old 03-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #6

I was going to buy and install the camera myself to save money. But saw it wasn't much more to let the factory install it than buying one online and installing it myself.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #7

I inquired with Jayco where the wiring was located on a 2016 Jayco North Point 341RLQS that I will be picking up on March 20th. I was told by Jayco that the wiring is attached to the wiring that goes to the middle of the 3 lights. They said that you pull out the light and it will be taped to the middle light wiring.

I was also told that you could use the Voyager, or the Furion wireless backup camera system.

Does anyone have any input as to which is the better system?

Greg
2016 Jayco North Point 341RLTS
gman03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #8

Remove the middle parking running light and put your finger up or down and see if there it's anything in the way, you might find that you will have to put it about 2' below the middle running light so when you turn your parks lights on it will give power to the camera. Good luck in your search but this is a start.

It might be already setup, prewired in the back, if you do go with the Furrion camera make sure that it's the FOS48 observation camera and not the FRC12 camera, this camera is only for backing up and not running on when you drive on the highway.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:12 AM   #9

I believe that I've read posts that Jayco includes paperwork on installing the rear camera with the bundle of manuals and such.

No need to run the running lights. There should be a switch in the docking station to turn the camera power on and off. At least on the 2017 Eagles there is.

Earl
Old 03-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #10

I attached a pic of the upper middle light that simply pulls out. The hole is too small for fingers and the 2 wires to the light go to connectors with red/grn wires both in & out. The connectors are too big to fit through the 3/4" hole and there does not seem to be a third wire. How do they maintain these lights looking forward. They need to redo their manual for these small 1" diameter lights. Their is not paperwork for this in the stack I got from Jayco except the "prepped" tag hanging in the new 5er.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170318_094505737.jpg  
Old 03-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #11

Should be two wires for the camera. Positive and ground. I don't have my unit yet, so I can't tell you more. I know the factory installed cameras at the dealer had the camera wiring going into another hole near the center ICC light. Definitely not regretting having the factory install mine. I'd have difficulty having to drill a hole in my new trailer. Lol

Earl
Old 03-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #12

I had to tap into the light wiring. I used a fishing tape and everything to try and locate the factory wiring. I mounted my camera below the light so I took a round file and made a notch in the bottom of the hole the light goes into and that allowed the camera wiring to fit snug when I replaced the light. I siliconed around the notch and all is good.

Also no need to drill to mount. I used double sided 3m tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #13

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:01 AM   #14

There is a third blue wire I found that was looped. I cut it and found the rear overhead inside lights failed. Reconnected with that also the + side for the camera and it is powered all of the time. When pairing with the camera I had to find, pull, & reconnect the fuse to pair the camera. The camera works with the truck 100 feet down the driveway from the trailer. Success!
Old 08-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoint5r View Post
There is a third blue wire I found that was looped. I cut it and found the rear overhead inside lights failed. Reconnected with that also the + side for the camera and it is powered all of the time. When pairing with the camera I had to find, pull, & reconnect the fuse to pair the camera. The camera works with the truck 100 feet down the driveway from the trailer. Success!

I found that blue wire but where did you wire the ground? I wired it to green and when the camera is plugged in, all 5 of the top tail lights turn on and they flicker a bit. What ground wire is good?
KeepMoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #16

Which wires do I tap?

Okay, intruding for my wiring a Emmako backup camera to my 2019
Jay Feather 25RB. I didn’t use a Furrion as its plug had no power, and if it did it was only with TV lights on.
It is all buttoned up outside just need to a little additional weatherproofing.
I want to wire it to the rear bath fan so I can run the camera as a monitor as well.
The wall switch sends power to the fan and then there is another switch on the fan itself so I can have the fan off but power the camera.
In the photo below I show the wiring for the fan with the black camera wire pulled through to the fan wiring.
I believe the hot white looping wire with the blue tap to the fan is to the wall switch.
I think, but am not 100% sure that I just need to tap, the way Jayco has here, the white to white looping wire and the red to the yellow terminated / tapped to the black switch wire.
Is this correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Camera.jpg   CameraWiring.jpg  
RobLO is offline   Reply With Quote