Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2015, 09:20 AM   #1

Backing trials complete

Just got back from our first backing experience with the 5'er. The only experience I had was backing in in our driveway when we brought it home. Thought we better do some practice before we hit the road, and I wanted to check out the turning ability with the Sidewinder, so we headed to a big empty parking lot a few miles from here. I'm much relieved about having installed the Sidewinder, now won't have to worry about connecting with the cab of the truck. One less thing to be concerned with when trying to negotiate into a parking space. For me, backing up is a bit different from the TT we had, but I got the hang of it after a few tries. I think the biggest difference is the fact that you have to start straightening out your turn sooner, as someone on here suggested. I at least feel comfortable now leaving with it.
Also didn't have any problem with the hitching and un-hitching once I got the wedge adjusted. Definitely glad I installed the Sidewinder.
Now, on to N.C. this month for the shake down cruise.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #2

Nice rryman I picked mine up yesterday and am planning the same sort of thing for today along with doing some hill climbing and descending to figure out how the rig will handle that. On the drive home from the dealer yesterday the truck ran along at 60mph doing 1500rpm and never downshifted out of 6th gear only thing that seemed to move was the boost gauge. Today we will get it downshifting for sure and then will be seeing how the exhaust brake works on the downhill. I didn't go for the sidewinder opting for the sliding hitch instead. I found that i can do about a 60-75 degree turn safely without having to slide the hitch. Today I plan to try out the slider and see how it works.

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
For turning; The pivot point on a 5er is pretty well above the TV rear axle. On a TT this can be 3 to 5 ft away from the TV rear axle. How closer to the TV rear axle how easier it is to maneuver while backing up and also will have less sway under turbulent conditions.
Back up slowly that way you can correct things easier!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #4

We pull our 5th with the 350 and I don't think you'll be disappointed. We weigh in at 12700#. Rry, you chose wisely with the sidewinder. We have a non-sliding hitch, short bed and a more-ryde pin box. Not enough room! Insurance spent $500 to repair the back window and dent on the cab corner.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

I love my super glide , especially on my short bed truck. Full clearance to 90 degrees.

Backing a 5er is definitely different and it took me a while to get the hang of it. Best advice I received from my friend who is a long haul trucker is to use as much length as you can get. If the road is giving you 100 ft of runway, use it all.

Pull all the way forward and use the extra length to slowly coax her in there.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote