Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #1

Backup camera?

Anyone added a backup camera to thier 5thwheel?we got a new car for Donna and its got one so I have been thinking(dangerous thing todo sometimes) that these might be a good 2nd set of eyes watching the rear when backing into a camp space.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #2

I try most of the time to get and check it myself. I usally put a tree branch or some sort of marker as on how far to back up. I put it by the wheels so I know when to stop.
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #3

Didn't know, but I added my backup camera when I got married and then gave her a two way radio. Best investment I made. Haven't backed into a thing in over 25 years with the Queen watching and directing as we park the coach.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky506 View Post
Didn't know, but I added my backup camera when I got married and then gave her a two way radio. Best investment I made. Haven't backed into a thing in over 25 years with the Queen watching and directing as we park the coach.
same way for almost 45 yrs.Just recently added the walkietalkie,i see an added safety feature,a cheap wireless at Autozone at about $80 so not a huge investment
corky,my Dad retired from the Dallas FD in 1970.Thanks to you guys/gals that are/were fire/police/military.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #5

I just added backup cameras from Rear View Safety. One camera is attached at the rear of the fifth-wheel above the rear window, the other camera is attached to the bumper of the pickup just above the frame mounted hitch for my utility trailer. That camera does double duty when towing the fiver as I can monitor the underside of the fiver to include all four tires.

I installed the camera on the fiver mostly for viewing what is behind me while driving, not so much for backing up at a campsite. As I am really persnickity about routing wiring, I actually removed the rear aluminum, routed the wiring through the studs, and then reinstalled the siding. The rest of the wiring runs along the left side frame rail in split-loom tubing. The connection from the fiver to the truck is through a pigtail that attaches to a connector in the bumper. There is a seven inch color monitor on the transmission tunnel in the truck that shows a big picture of what's behind, there's even a built-in microphone that allows me to hear the DW giving directions when I do back the rig in.

All this for less than $300. Pictures to follow. Fifth-Wheel Camera System

Richard and Laura Ray
Amateur Radio W4RLR
"The Green Goblin" 2008 F-250 Lariat CC SB, 6.4 liter automatic, 4x4"Love Shack" 1995 Jayco Eagle 277 RBSS fifth-wheel
rray32539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #6

Last night, I ordered the two camera set from Costco (best price I could find - shipping incl) and the trailer disconnect cable from RVS. From all the reviews I've read, this is a great camera system... I am going for the same set-up as you.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote