Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Balanced Tires

Does anyone know if Jayco as a normal practice balances the tires on new units? One of my neighbors with a Designer just replaced his original tires and noticed that the original tires / wheels did not have any weights on them. So being curious, I checked the tires / wheels on my 2012 351 RLTS and again no wheel weights or signs where they might have been.
I am wondering if I should have the wheels pulled and balanced. I dont see any signs of abnormal wear, cupping etc.

This amy not be in the correct nitch in the forum so please moderators. feel free to move if appropriate.

hausknwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
That's a good question. I don't know if Jayco or the dealer balances tires. But we all know anything that turns at high speed should run smooth. Vibrations would damage more than just the tires. I don't think it's a big problem (maybe not a problem at all), but I'm going to check mine.

OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Mine aren't balanced.

A close family friend is a 3rd generation owner of a large multi-location tire service specializing in Agriculture & Trailer Equip for over 75 years. I took my TT to him to check brakes, inspect bearing and balance wheels. He did everything but balance the wheels. I questioned why it wasn't donw and he said not to worry about it unless you were experiencing a ride issue. 1.5 camping seasons on this trailer with no issues without balancing, TT pulls smooth and the tires aren't showing any signs unusual wear patterns.

All that said, if I wasn't talked out of it by someone I trust, these tires would be balanced :-) It ceratinly isn't the cost...around here a 4 tire balance is $30-$50 depending on the shop. Certainly not something I would skimp on to save a couple $ if it was necessary.

I'll be interested to hear others oppinions.
2007 Chevy Duramax LMM/Allison
2012 Jay Flight 29QBH
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
I would assume that unless the RV has a drivetrain, the rims/tires were not balanced.

A year after purchasing my 2005 Jayco I had all five rims/tires balanced (during brake/bearing PM), and all five tires required weights.

Last summer (2012) I purchased a new set of rims/tires and had them balanced, all four took weights.

The way I look at it is minimizing any vibration in the TT while in tow is a good thing

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS
Reese HP Dual Cam
Putnam Class V
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
I have not had a trailer yet from the factory that has the tires balanced. And yes I balance all my tires on everything I own and don't have any trouble. For what tires cost a little to balance them and get a little more out of them is worth it to me. And yes everyone has taken weight.
Cruzinfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
I spent a good portion of my working years in the tire business- In my opinion based on my experience, all wheel/tire units should be balanced and rotated on a regular basis- Very few wheel/tire units will not require some weights- Reducing vibrations in the coach will allow items not properly stored to stay where placed and reduce breakage or damage- JMHO- DD
Fulltiming since July 1, 1999 currently with a 2005 GMC Sierra 3500 cc drw towing a 2007 Jayco Eagle 341RLQS
Diesel Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
My new tires were balanced.
2004 F150 SuperCrew Lariat, 5.4L, Max Towing, CIPA Towing Mirrows, Timbren
2006 Jay Flight, 31 BHDS
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #8
I always have trailer tires balanced. And rebalanced after every few thousand miles. Weight requirements change as tires wear on trailers just like they do on our tow vehicles or passenger cars.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Site Team
I have owned 2 new fifth wheels from different manufacturers and seen plenty of other new ones. Never saw one balanced from the factory. I pulled them and had it done myself. I did not have any abnormal wear patterns or such but it makes sense to eliminate the source of a problem.

Some say the balancing is not for the tire but the passenger, I say it is a pipe dream to expect any tire and rim to be balanced w/o checking it on a proper machine.

On my new rig, I replaced the valve stems with all metal when I balanced them.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Thanks for the response. Looks like I will make an appointment to have the wheels / tires balanced as soon as we get home.

hausknwa is offline   Reply With Quote