Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #1

Battery vent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #2

I'm thinking this is a before and after pic! Originally a ooooops....
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Quality install!! Any pictures of the inside?

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

Curious...how important is it to have venting for your battery compartment? I ask because my 2013 REQS Pinnacle doesn't have any for its stock battery compartment. We're thinking of adding a few more batteries (in the front storage compartment--we don't have a geni there) and didn't know if I should add a vent. Thoughts?
WhiteNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:32 PM   #5

Gel cell

Do the fully sealed, or gel cell batteries still need a vent? I know that the standard lead acid batteries off-gas, so they require a vent.
pop up pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:11 PM   #6

Not sure what the pics are suppose to depict. I See a 383 down the street with a batt decal and no vent. Then I saw another 383 at flying js with a vent. Both look probably close to new. So not sure what it means. At first I thought factory error or something.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #7

No vent required for gel cell or AGM batteries.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:49 AM   #8

Newer Jaycos I've seen vent out the bottom of the battery box/tray/shelf, so there is no upper vent nor is one needed.
No sealed batteries don't vent so they don't need vented.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:25 AM   #9

That battery vent looks similar to the battery vent system I installed in our fifth wheel when adding a third battery. The vent system consists of the exterior vent and an (about) 1 3/4 " plastic tube, which connects to a fitting on the top on a closed battery box.

I can't understand how the tube might connect and allow for the compartment door to open and close properly. Either the OP has a very imaginative system to allow for the door movement, or he removes the vent each time the door needs to be opened, or shadester is correct that the vent is a way to repair (rather nicely, I'll add) an oops.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:55 PM   #10

The vent is cut into the door.. the bottom of the battery floor is just steel slats about 3" wide with 3" wide spaces between them. The batteries tend to fall in the spaces and not stand straight.
The battery compartment has a foam seal around it and seals to the front cargo door when it's closed.
Thus no need for any tubing to the vent. If you were lucky enough to get the vent.

Early NorthPoints like mine have the vent installed by the factory... Jasum's build date doesn't have a vent.
It only makes sense to have the vent. Hot air rises. It is hot in the battery compartment, natural convection will occur.
I can verify that because my Morningstar solar controller will equalize the batteries at 15.4v and make them gas. I can smell it coming out the door vent.

Since Jasum and I have covered our battery compartment floors solid, so the batteries sit upright, and added screened 2" holes to keep out insects and critters, I think the door vent needs to be there. Fortunately for me the factory added it.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:57 AM   #11

Klassic, so do the later units still come with wet cell batts? Even with a AGM batt I thought the vent makes sense. Even though they are sealed I heard there is a overcharge valve or something if it ever got to that point. I know what you are saying about the lower floor. And that foam seal is a pain trying to keep it in proper position.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Newer Jaycos I've seen vent out the bottom of the battery box/tray/shelf, so there is no upper vent nor is one needed.
Earl
That is correct, sealed batteries are not vented (well almost), BUT they do have a pressure release valve in them. So, if and when a sealed battery is overcharged (maybe not on purpose) or if your battery controller has an Equalization mode (with the voltages set for lead acid specifications) they will vent gases (through the pressure release valve) and the batteries electrolyte will be forced out in a mist form. BUT YES, under PERFECT battery conditions/maintenance there should be no issues.

Don
Old 12-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Earl
That is correct, sealed batteries are not vented (well almost), BUT they do have a pressure release valve in them. So, if and when a sealed battery is overcharged (maybe not on purpose) or if your battery controller has an Equalization mode (with the voltages set for lead acid specifications) they will vent gases (through the pressure release valve) and the batteries electrolyte will be forced out in a mist form. BUT YES, under PERFECT battery conditions/maintenance there should be no issues.

Don
Old 12-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #14

Well, I'm glad there is no "oops" to cover up; but if anyone ever needs to coverup a small "oops", a battery vent makes a neat cover!
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
Klassic, so do the later units still come with wet cell batts? Even with a AGM batt I thought the vent makes sense. Even though they are sealed I heard there is a overcharge valve or something if it ever got to that point. I know what you are saying about the lower floor. And that foam seal is a pain trying to keep it in proper position.
Even the 2017 NorthPoint and Pinnacles don't t have the vent. They do have a way bigger bottom tray that looks like it will hold 6 batteries but it is still "slats" with spaces. Enough air space that I don't think it would need a vent. Unless you were to make a solid floor to keep out the bugs.
It's up to the dealer what battery they put in. Being AGM's cost more, doubtful they would be installed.

The 2016 compartment is pretty tight and enclosed to say the bottom floor is all the venting it needs. Once you filled it with batteries there would be little air space left to vent. Thus is why I say, where did the vent go?

I have had zero problems with my foam seal. I thought it would be a problem, but it has never come loose.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:22 AM   #16

"I have had zero problems with my foam seal. I thought it would be a problem, but it has never come loose

." I think it may be environmental, adhesive does not give too much in freezing temps ."