Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #11
It is recommended to grease annually or every 12K miles, which ever comes first. With that said, I just started greasing my bearings this year for the first time, and I have over 15K miles on my HTT.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #12
I will be the contrarian here. Modern bearings little maintenance is needed compared to days gone by. And I remember carrying a kit of tin snips and a couple of empty beer cans to make axle spindle shim bearings...on the side of the roads.

Number 1 on your list is inspect inside and outside for signs of grease seeping.

Buy a high quality grease. I use Mobil 1 or Green extreme duty waterproof. There are others.

Lifting or removing wheels is a big job, but you can "S L O W L Y" inject grease in all your wheels thru the Zerk fitting if you have one and then drive forward a full wheel turn and hit it again. If at either time the bearings took a lot of grease then back up and hit it again.

Seal blowouts are rare today as are leather and hard plastic seals. But any of them can be blown out if you hit it to hard and fast. The seals are made to allow old grease to come out under moderate pressure.

Tip. Wipe the head of your Zerk fittings to remove dirt before you grease.

Jack it up every other year and check for play by moving the tire back and forth. If have then you can tighten and hand grease or just replace the bearings.

If you replace bearings remember the old ax...good don't come cheap and cheap don't come good...

US Army Infantry, my rucksack was my RV
S Texas
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 26.5 RKDS
'15 F 350 CC, LB Dually King Ranch
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Every other 800 mile trip gets fresh grease.

Annual disassembly, clean, etc.

Works for my habits. YMMV
I totally disagree on using grease every 800 miles. You will be sitting on axles with no brakes because they will be covered in grease. If you want to do it right tear them down every 12k miles (per Dexter & Lippert). The grease seals will last 1-2 years without leaking. When you pump in grease there is a 50/50 chance that the grease will go backwards instead of forward. Boat trailers are different, they need to be "pressurized' to keep water out. I tell all my customers to bring them in every year. Most people do not tow 12k miles in 12 months. Commercial customers bring them in every 15k miles usually.

2015 F350 4wd 6.7 Powerstroke, Firestone Airride
CM custom hauler bed
2016 Northpoint 377RLBH
Redbird7 is offline   Reply With Quote