Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2016, 05:42 AM   #1
P&K

Angry Bed destroyed

so far our experience with our brand new Jayco Eagle 321 has not been good. Now we have a new MAJOR problem. Last night we opened the bedroom slide out for the third time since bringing the trailer home May 6. When I went to open up the bed to get underneath I notice it wouldn't open and the base was all crooked. It seems the one side pulled completely away and has dropped down 4 inches or more and the other side while not as bad is also damaged.

We have reservations booked for tomorrow and are waiting to hear what our dealer has to say. We have a useless bed and can't even bring the slide out in for fear of causing more damage.

I tried attaching 3 pictures but only one would attach.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-19-2016, 05:49 AM   #2
P&K

Second picture

This is from the outside
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #3
P&K

Opposite side

Other side of the bed. Partially pulled away
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-19-2016, 07:20 AM   #4

So is half of you bed suspended (the feet end) floating while the slide goes in & out?
If so, sounds like maybe something stored under it maybe have caused the floor to drop some, then gotten hung-up while the slide was going out. Just wondering what you have stored under the bed and is there a weight limit of what can be stored under it?

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
P&K

Spare dining table chairs are underneath which is where we found them. Not much room for anything else as it shallow.

We are wondering if the struts put extra pressure on the base part of the bed. This happened with our table when 20lb struts were replaced with a 120lb ones!! Still waiting to hear from the dealer and the clock is ticking.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #6

Are you suggesting that it was the compression pressure of the struts pushing against the sides of the bedframe rather than the movement of the slide that caused the damage? I have not really inspected how the bedframe is constructed and how it moves when the slide is retracted.

I hope it gets fixed for you soon.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:27 AM   #7
P&K

Not suggesting that was the cause but perhaps a possibility? Like I said we've only had the unit a couple weeks and have not used it. Have never been in the bedroom when opening it so not sure how it works.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #8

I don't have my Jayco yet so I'm just trying to envision how this could happen. It's quite disturbing to see.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&K View Post

We are wondering if the struts put extra pressure on the base part of the bed. This happened with our table when 20lb struts were replaced with a 120lb ones!! Still waiting to hear from the dealer and the clock is ticking.
Who would have replaced the struts? If they were that high of a pressure you would have noticed the first time you lifted the bed. It would have flown open.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #10
P&K

Due to the fact that the slide out could t be retracted the techs came to the house. Looks like Kim was right. It had to do with the struts and they have seen this before. The sides of the bed are thin and need to be reinforced.

In our last Jayco Kim put the struts in himself but knew right away he had better reinforce the sides first.

The techs removed them, straightened the bottom of the bed and took the trailer with them reassuring us they would be on it at 7 am. The other issues we can live with and will be repaired later.

NOt overly happy or confident in this trailer but techs assured us Jayco are good with their warranty work. Very inconvenient though 😥
Old 05-20-2016, 07:10 AM   #11

[QUOTE=P&K;409562] so far our experience with our brand new Jayco Eagle 321 has not been good. Now we have a new MAJOR problem. Last night we opened the bedroom slide out for the third time since bringing the trailer home May 6. When I went to open up the bed to get underneath I notice it wouldn't open and the base was all crooked. It seems the one side pulled completely away and has dropped down 4 inches or more and the other side while not as bad is also damaged.

We're you using the remote from outside to open your slides? This is one reason I do not open my slides from outside. I like to be standing inside to see what is going on while the slides are opening. That way I can stop quickly if I see or hear something going on. Not saying you could have avoided any damage, but it is just the way I open my slides. Good luck with the fix! Hopefully they will get it done for you and quickly so you can make your dates!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #12
P&K

I would think the whole point of having a remote is so you could be outside and make sure you have proper clearance. No matter where we were this would have happened and better at home than the campsite.

It's fixed now along with a couple minor things they had time for. The rubber seal on the slide out will have to wait. Heading out after work. Can't wait
Old 05-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&K View Post
I would think the whole point of having a remote is so you could be outside and make sure you have proper clearance. No matter where we were this would have happened and better at home than the campsite.

It's fixed now along with a couple minor things they had time for. The rubber seal on the slide out will have to wait. Heading out after work. Can't wait
Sounds like you found a good dealer who takes care of you after the sale. Enjoy your outing.

After looking at bed construction I can see that is an area I will be reinforcing right away.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #14
Dan

"Sounds like you found a good dealer who takes care of you after the sale. Enjoy your outing. "

x2, at least your dealer has been responsive. My hopes are that it will be fixed and quickly become a distant memory for you!

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD DRW CCLB
2015 White Hawk 28DSBH (trade-in)
2015 Eagle 355MBQS (trade-in)
2019 Jay Flight 29BHDB
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed frame, broken