Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #1

Bedroom slide problem

My bedroom slide (the wardrobe) does not sit "flush" against the wall when fully extended. There is a gap of a half inch or so at the top that narrows down to the floor. Before I took the 5th in for repairs I could see "daylight" in both corners of the slide at the very top. My concerns were about water and creepy crawley critters getting in and heat loss. I was also worried about extra stress being placed on the slide mechanism (but I've been told that is not an issue).

The dealer's repair consisted of adding a seal (outside?). When I picked it up the repair guy showed me that I could no longer see daylight on the side closest to us (by the door). I just assumed the other side was ok too and didn't discover until I got it home that I can still see daylight out the other side (I have it stuffed with toilet paper).

When I took it in I was hoping they would figure out how to make the slide sit flush with the wall but apparently didn't communicate that well. Since I was unhappy to see that the gap is still there they ordered a piece of paneling and intend to add facia trim (on the side) that will cover the gap. I am spatially challenged and can't visualize how this is going to look (won't the trim piece be wider at the top then the bottom? ). The slide in the 2015 models is on the entry door side of my fifth and very noticeable to me (not sure how I missed it in the PDI - noticed it as soon as I got it home). I didn't notice until I was looking at the pic on my tablet that the wood trim is sort of peeling up at the bottom! The slide does go in and out just fine - no problem there. I think that board at the top is what's stopping it from going out all the way.

I did contact Jayco and their service tech (Joe) talked to the dealer about my concerns and he felt that their facia trim idea is a good solution. I am wondering if any of you have had a similar problem. I am taking it back in tomorrow (there is actually a bigger problem - water pump doesn't work). If the dealer seals the remaining hole and the trim fix looks ok, should I be satisfied and just get over it?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150819_54593.jpg   IMG_20150819_25476.jpg  
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #2

Sounds like both "Joe" from Jayco and the Dealer are treating the symptom and not the cause. It is like taking an aspirin for a headache caused by shoes that are too tight. I would quickly find another source at Jayco who is competent.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #3

Your slide is not adjusted properly or is defective and Jayco is obligated to fix it, not cover up the gap.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #4

The dealer should adjust the slide-out to fit flush with the wall (no big gaps) when opened and closed. They can be adjusted to operate as designed, and that is what you should demand.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #5

MzLiz,

You have received some sound advice. We also had a problem like yours with our slide. Here is the thread I started and the result the dealer did to rectify the situation:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...ion-29154.html

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #6

Thanks for your replies. I have contacted Jayco again and hopefully they will get back to me quickly. I'm afraid this isn't a matter of just "adjusting" the slide but what the heck do I know
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCADesertRat View Post
Sounds like both "Joe" from Jayco and the Dealer are treating the symptom and not the cause. It is like taking an aspirin for a headache caused by shoes that are too tight. I would quickly find another source at Jayco who is competent.
+1,its not adjusted.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Your slide is not adjusted properly or is defective and Jayco is obligated to fix it, not cover up the gap.
YOu need to find someone knowledgeable who can adjust your slide properly. Covering the gap is just hiding the problem. Our dealer adjusted ours nicely when I noticed a bad fit. They also said that is one of the most frequent complaints from customers is slides not fitting right. They have become quite adept at adjusting them to fit right.

TeamRVInc., in Albany, GA.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:58 AM   #9

Our one slide in the living area was not square with the RV walls when extended or retracted and we could also see a daylight gap. We had a couple of tablespoons of water leak in during a hard storm while retracted.

Our dealer adjusted the slide to fit the opening. They did not make it out to be a major effort to do so. All has been well since.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:06 PM   #10

We have four slides on our 5er and none of the slides would fit tight against the wall when we picked up the unit. Took it in for service work and all of the slides now fit tight on the walls.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote