Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-27-2016, 03:42 AM   #1

Black and grey not draining on 377RLBH

Howdy all, we're full timing and recently moved to a 2016 Jayco North Point 377RLBH. We've only been in it about 5 weeks. Just this week I noticed that my black tank didn't drain when I pulled the valves. I think what may have happened is that when it was last drained, the valve wasn't completely closed as I noticed that while the other 2 valves close with a nice click, the black tank valve has a spongy feel to it when it closes and doesn't close completely. I'm afraid that liquid was able to drain out just leaving all the solids to form a clog. I used the black tank flush to try and push the solids through but even with the black tank valve open the tank has filled to the top so I can't flush anymore. Initially only my black tank wasn't draining but now the front grey tank is also not draining (fullish also) so I'm thinking the clog has been pushed into the main pvc pipe, past the valve, where both the tanks drain through. Is there a non-mechanical means I can use to deal with this clog? Can I just dump some drano or other liquid to get to the clog without damaging the pipes and tank? If not, what are the mechanical options? I've used a plunger on the toilet quite a bit in hopes of pushing the clog out but to no avail. It had rv tank treatment in it just 2 drains ago. I've probably only drained the tank less than a dozen times now. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
ScottnDebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:19 AM   #2

I feel your pain, except mine was at home not on the road when this happened. I had just bought my 31BHDS and when I got it home the black tank was showing full and when I went to the Loves up the street to dump it only 1/3 of the tank emptied. So I bought one of those wands w/ the rotating head on the end and shoved that down the toilet and rinsed it real good and then drained it again. I also tried the ice in the tank trick and I was able to get 2/3 empty that time, but I noticed it would flush really fast and then at a point it would slow to a trickle even though it still showed 1/3 of the tank full. So I figured I had a clog at the valve, so I took the wand and shoved it up the pipe on the outside to see if I could force it back int to the tank and then maybe it would drain the rest out including the clog w/ the next fill. It still didn't work. So I ended up taking apart the valve, just 4 bolts and it slides out, and sure enough there was the clog preventing the valve from closing all the way and the tank from emptying. You will need a bucket or two when you do this as you won't be able to use the drain hose. Now after a day of cleaning that it flushes like a champ. Sorry for the long answer, I hope this info is helpful!! Good Luck
05 GMC 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 for now:-)
FiremanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:25 AM   #3

Not sure if I'd use Drain-O or anything like that. Not sure how it would effect the plumbing. Regardless, a messy job so be prepared. Taking it apart as mentioned above may be your only recourse. Good luck!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:44 AM   #4

Black and grey not draining on 377RLBH

Try a product called RV Digest it. Made by unique. I have found it locally at Ace hardware.

http://www.amazon.com/Unique-Marketi.../dp/B003X3PQN2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #5

ScottnDebi Black and grey not draining on 377RLBH

Welcome to the JOF.

From your description, it seems unlikely chemicals will help. Most likely it will require the messy approach of getting something in there physically to break up the clog.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #6

...or get something like this to backflush the line.
Camco Tank Rinser

This is cheaper but you'd have to make a female to female hose adapter to hook a hose up to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39463-Se...sewer+fittings
Old 04-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #7

We have used a RV Flush Service since our main bathroom (we have 2) is at the front of the fifth wheel and it is a harder tank to keep flowing. Also use only Tank Tech Rx in our tanks.
Welcome to TankTechs where we solve holding tank problems, GUARANTEED!
Old 04-27-2016, 05:52 PM   #8

You may want to hire a Honey Wagon service. They can really suck it out. Then you can start all over again .

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:43 PM   #9

I went out and got a Valterra flush king and used it this evening. When I disconnected the sewer hose the clog was right up to the end of the drain pipe. I flushed and drained for about an hour and finally got everything running properly. An unbelievable amount of crap (pun intended) came out eventually. Hopefully we'll be able to keep on top of it from this point. The black dump valve closes completely now too. Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:18 AM   #10

When I drained the tanks today a thin plastic disk got stuck in the the elbow of the clear plastic flush section I put on. It looks roughly cut or punched out of a larger piece of plastic. Not sure where it came from but I'm sure it contributed to my problem.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:01 AM   #11

Always use 1 ply TP too. Regular TP doesn't break down as good as RV TP. Im sure you know that, but just adding in my 2 cents. Glad it all worked out

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:03 AM   #12

If the disk was black in color, it may have been a part of the tank that was punched out during its construction process. I have found all kinds of construction debris in various spots throughout my unit.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:53 AM   #13

It was black. I'm surprised it actually got flushed out, it barely fit through the pipe. Glad I got it out.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #14

Careless workmanship. You should send Jayco a bill for your "emergency warranty repair" for your time, effort, and cleaning costs....

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote