Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #1

Black Tank Flush...

I got hooked on the videos at Fit RV (http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/test...rv-black-tank/)

Anyone know what the spray pattern is in a Jayco black tank flush fitting? Is it just a water inlet? Does it wash down the sides of the tank? Does it work kinda like the Tornado Rotary shown in the video? Should I buy a spray wand to stick in the toilet to get that extra level of clean??

I do know that it seems to take FOREVER to fill a blank tank using the flush fitting (yeah, there is that warning to not do that...but I'm very attentive.....)

Check out his other video that casts doubt on whether the ice trick does anything at all that just a good soaking wouldn't also do.....
Old 09-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Good question. When I use mine everything seems to be flushed out. I have filled the tank with clean water after using the black tank flush and it doesn't get any cleaner. I have a clear 45 degree adapter that I hook to the outlet so I can see what is going on.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #3

Unless they've changed it is just the straight multi-jet sprayer, it does not spin.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #4

Ok. I have a clear hose that runs into my black tank. I thought it was just for filling the black water tank to give it another flush. So there is an actual spray nozzle on the end of it inside the tank? My second question is where do you use this device? At the dump station make other people wait until your done?
Third question what water do you use? The dumps I have been at have a water house on a hose bib with the end cut off so you can't use there hose with that water unless you carry another hose for black tank flashing.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:21 AM   #5

So there is an actual spray nozzle on the end of it inside the tank? Yes.
My second question is where do you use this device? At the dump station make other people wait until your done?Yes. But you must be considerate in doing so. Experience will help you adjust.
Third question what water do you use? Sometimes the hose that is there works. Sometimes you must provide your own.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:22 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. I'll be testing this out this weekend when I dump.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
Old 09-10-2014, 08:39 AM   #7

tnchuck100, I carry two hoses in my FW, one for fresh, clean water which is white, and another, gray, one for flushing the drain hoses and black tank. Try my best not to mix them up.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #8

jal0710, I carry 4 hoses. 2 - 10 ft, 1 - 25 ft white; 1 - 25 ft green. Ya never know how far the water hook up will be. The green hose is a plain old garden hose. It is for the tank flusher and any other non-drinking purpose that may be needed.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Unless they've changed it is just the straight multi-jet sprayer, it does not spin.
This is correct in my 5er. I also have a "wand" that I use about every 4th time that I dump just to really make it clean. The wand really works better than the factory installed sprayer in my opinion.
One thought about the Sewer Solution; It really is not meant to be a tank rinser. It is rather used as a water-jet macerator. I have one and like it a lot because I find it a cleaner option to the "slinky".

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
This is correct in my 5er. I also have a "wand" that I use about every 4th time that I dump just to really make it clean. The wand really works better than the factory installed sprayer in my opinion.
One thought about the Sewer Solution; It really is not meant to be a tank rinser. It is rather used as a water-jet macerator. I have one and like it a lot because I find it a cleaner option to the "slinky".
Thanks for mentioning the Sewer Solution. I looked it up and it looks promising. The reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive.

My buddy has a macerator that cost him several hundred bucks and takes up more space. Do you think the Sewer Solution is as good as the more expensive models?
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #11

You really should watch the videos posted on "The Fit RV" (see link in my first post) before running out and buying the Sewer Solution. Especially the second one. If you have any kind of elbow in your dump line, it appears that it will be no better than normal dumping.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Thanks for the pointer, Flapper.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
You really should watch the videos posted on "The Fit RV" (see link in my first post) before running out and buying the Sewer Solution. Especially the second one. If you have any kind of elbow in your dump line, it appears that it will be no better than normal dumping.
DAG NABBIT!! Now I'm hooked watching those videos! I just got done watching the toilet paper test, absolute classic! That kid is hilarious.

Anyway, the Sewer Solution video actually kind of sold me on it. It would be used primarily at my house to dump my tanks if needed. Like if someone was staying in it for a night or two, or if I made it home without being able to dump. I could run the Sewer Solution to my septic tank at home, dump my tanks, use the SS to flush them, and use my black tank rinse too. So it would work well for me in that situation, and I could still use it on the road as well.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #14

Quote:
So I went back and watched the second video. I still think the SS will work in my case because I would use it in conjunction with my built-in tank rinse.

Either way, those were some eye opening videos, and I'm glad I watched them! Thanks!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #15

Quote:
I watched the entire video (the second one). The Sewer Solution's purpose is not to rinse out the black tank so you should not buy one if that is the goal. It is rather a water-driven macerator to be used in lieu of the so called, "stinky slinky". I have had one for 3 years now and use it all the time and very happy with the way it works. The back flush operation on the SS will only clean out the end section of the black/gray tank pipe. I like it because it's cleaner than the "slinky", it pumps uphill and I don't need to use the hose supports so that the "stuff" flows downhill. It does take a bit longer to empty the tanks but not that much longer however, I do not use it while dumping at a community-type dump station.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
jal0710, I carry 4 hoses. 2 - 10 ft, 1 - 25 ft white; 1 - 25 ft green. Ya never know how far the water hook up will be. The green hose is a plain old garden hose. It is for the tank flusher and any other non-drinking purpose that may be needed.
Sounds like us… we actually carry about 125' of white hose… have used it all more than once in the state campgrounds, if we decide to stay a bit longer than the standard 3-day weekend. Also, when the "freshwater fill line" is long, have used that hose to fill after we have parked, unhooked. And, yes, that "black hose", in our case… short one for flushing the black tank on the way out, if the dump line is not too long! Try to flush at least every other time, when camping… and, take the opportunity to flush every time when on a sewer connection, generally during the longer term stays, or when traveling.
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #17

Wow! Should have been using the factory wash out since day one. Good thing it is only my second year with the camper. It really works good. All though it leaked right at the black tank inlet . didn't want to crawl under the trailer at the dump station. Looks like it is just a graden screw hose fitting I'll have to tighten.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
Old 09-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
Wow! Should have been using the factory wash out since day one. Good thing it is only my second year with the camper. It really works good. All though it leaked right at the black tank inlet . didn't want to crawl under the trailer at the dump station. Looks like it is just a graden screw hose fitting I'll have to tighten.
Can you snap a picture of it?

I notice you have a '11 X23B. I have a '13 X23B and was wondering if I have one........
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #19

Sure. I'll take a pic tomorrow. Mine is located near the back of the trailer on the side with the dump valves just before the rear bumper up tight to the fiberglass body.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
Old 09-15-2014, 05:47 PM   #20

Should the flush line be blown out when winterizing? Or does it drain completely?
Parkland is offline   Reply With Quote