Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #1

Black tank, vacuum flusher check valve leaking

I have a 2016 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS 5er and I noticed water on the floor in front of our pantry door while flushing the black tank. After doing some investigation I found that the black tanks vacuum flush valve was leaking. Our unit is less than a year, so I don't know if these valves fail often or I just got a bad one. I'll attach a pic of the valve.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #2

Had that exact same thing happen to my TT a year ago. Hooked up the black tank flush at a dump site and it was fine until water started pouring out underneath the TT. Turned off the water, went inside, and the bathroom and half the living room was full of water. Got home and replaced the crappy plastic one with a brass one I ordered on line (Amazon I think). Works like a charm and I'd bet it won't fail after 2 years. I hope it doesn't fail because I had to be a contortionist to get back in there to replace it.
BTW, this seems to be a common problem that bunches of RVers have had to face. So common that some even replace the valve when they first get the RV.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #3

Hey Bud thanks for your story! This is what I did, I did away with the valve. It's there to keep any of the black tank contents from back flowing into the hose. This is a build standard code. Explain how the contents if the tank is going to flow through the spray nozzles that are in the tank. Then travel through the piping to contaminate anything. The last time I checked the black isn't pressurized, so this all will never happen. It cost me a $10.00 1/2 sharkbite fitting to do. The vacuum break valve was $36.00. The rest is history.
Have a great day Bud!!!
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #4

Now why didn't I think of that? That's my next fix if needed and when we upgrade to a bigger TT, I'll immediately use your sharkbite method. Thanks for the info.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #5

According to many, you are a menace to society and all of man kind.

I just did the same thing to my 23RB. It was leaking into the rear outside storage compartment on my trailer. I posted about what I did on the Mod board on RV.net, and I got literally hammered over there. The reaction of some would led you to believe what I did was worse than releasing sarin gas in a subway.

But I agree with your analysis. Also, I didn't want a piece that would probably fail again and flood my storage compartment again. I'm trying to keep water out of my trailer, not add another source of water. There are enough of them already.

I am going to get a back flow preventer to put on either a spigot or the non potable hose where there isn't already one. I'll just take it with me and used it when necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb-24 View Post
Hey Bud thanks for your story! This is what I did, I did away with the valve. It's there to keep any of the black tank contents from back flowing into the hose. This is a build standard code. Explain how the contents if the tank is going to flow through the spray nozzles that are in the tank. Then travel through the piping to contaminate anything. The last time I checked the black isn't pressurized, so this all will never happen. It cost me a $10.00 1/2 sharkbite fitting to do. The vacuum break valve was $36.00. The rest is history.
Have a great day Bud!!!

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:27 PM   #6

Yep, I cut mine out too. I do keep that in mind when the black tank starts to get full. I am VERY careful to not let that tank fill up into the down pipe. FWIW, the level would have to be almost up to the toilet in order to leak out the fitting. When the tank flush system worked I used a separate hose with it's own back flow valve.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote