Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2016, 05:55 AM   #1

black tank valve issue 29.5

So this last weekend was our 3rd time out with the new camper and the first 2 times draining the tanks I thought it was a fluke but not so much now. I know I had the tanks completely drained when we went up and started camping and after 5 days we made our way back home and stopped at our local rv drain spot. I know I had all the valves closed as much as they will go but when I take the cap off drain to hook up my hose there is about a half gallon or so of black water behind the cap the spills on the ground. I then hook up the hose and drain the rest of the tanks. I called my dealer and they can't get me in until the end of June. I would normally fix this myself either by looking to see what is letting water through or replacing the valve but with the enclosed underbelly I don't really want to mess with it.

Has anyone else had this happen or have any other ideas? Is it just a bad valve you think?

For the time being I picked up one of these twist on valve
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping_J View Post
So this last weekend was our 3rd time out with the new camper and the first 2 times draining the tanks I thought it was a fluke but not so much now. I know I had the tanks completely drained when we went up and started camping and after 5 days we made our way back home and stopped at our local rv drain spot. I know I had all the valves closed as much as they will go but when I take the cap off drain to hook up my hose there is about a half gallon or so of black water behind the cap the spills on the ground. I then hook up the hose and drain the rest of the tanks. I called my dealer and they can't get me in until the end of June. I would normally fix this myself either by looking to see what is letting water through or replacing the valve but with the enclosed underbelly I don't really want to mess with it.

Has anyone else had this happen or have any other ideas? Is it just a bad valve you think?

For the time being I picked up one of these twist on valve
I would put my money on a piece of toilet paper caught in your valve. Have had it twice before. Unfortunately, that is not a warranty issue because it's not a defective valve. If you get the dealer to deal with it, they most likely will replace the valve. The valves are less then $20 and they won't take a chance on cleaning with all the labor it cost to get to it. I cut a window in my belly for access and replaced it myself last time. You need to come up with a better plan for dumping to ensure that a floating remnant of toilet paper doesn't float thru just as you close the valve. I have started adding powdered water softener to to black tank water to make sure everything is slicker hoping that it will help move all material thru the valve easier. Time will tell if it helps!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:36 AM   #3

Yes it has happened to me 2x, about a half gallon both times. Looks like gray water in my case. I'm going to test both front gray water tanks to see if I can reproduce it again and figure out which one it is. If I can reproduce then I will probably just tackle the valve replacement myself.

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
I would put my money on a piece of toilet paper caught in your valve. Have had it twice before. Unfortunately, that is not a warranty issue because it's not a defective valve. If you get the dealer to deal with it, they most likely will replace the valve. The valves are less then $20 and they won't take a chance on cleaning with all the labor it cost to get to it. I cut a window in my belly for access and replaced it myself last time. You need to come up with a better plan for dumping to ensure that a floating remnant of toilet paper doesn't float thru just as you close the valve. I have started adding powdered water softener to to black tank water to make sure everything is slicker hoping that it will help move all material thru the valve easier. Time will tell if it helps!!
Being that this is a new camper and we have just used it for urination (use cg bathroom for going number 2) and my wife keeps a trash can for her toilet paper so the only that has been in our black tank is liquid. So I find it hard to believe that there is anything blocking the valve. I have also rinsed out the tank with the black tank flush to ensure that there is nothing in there from construction and from when the dealer did their testing as well.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Being that this is a new camper and we have just used it for urination (use cg bathroom for going number 2) and my wife keeps a trash can for her toilet paper so the only that has been in our black tank is liquid. So I find it hard to believe that there is anything blocking the valve. I have also rinsed out the tank with the black tank flush to ensure that there is nothing in there from construction and from when the dealer did their testing as well.
Just giving you my experience. I use the flush regularly but have had problems with toilet paper caught in the knife valve. If you haven't put any paper toilet or tissue down the toilet, doesn't seem that could be the issue. The twist on secondary valve is a must in my book!! Excellent back up system!!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:38 AM   #6

I think this issue is rather widespread, and has something to do with the use of the vent device under the sink for the gray tank in some units, instead of venting to the roof. As mentioned the Valterra twist on valve is a good stopgap and secondary safety.
Krusegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #7

We purchased a 2016 Pinnacle about two months ago, tested the tanks prior to our first trip, the black tank valve did not hold. I went in through the storage wall and was able to view all valves, both grey and black. The black valve cable was not installed correctly to the valve, the outer cable was not in the housing. They did connect the inner cable and all felt right but wasn't. Once the cable was reinstalled everything was good. I put a clear cap on my outside outlet to make sure it was holding.
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
Site Team

Another consideration is when you dumped, you were not level and some of the water between the valve and pipe outlet could not gravity feed to the end.

There is another thread on the forum about this same problem.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
We purchased a 2016 Pinnacle about two months ago, tested the tanks prior to our first trip, the black tank valve did not hold. I went in through the storage wall and was able to view all valves, both grey and black. The black valve cable was not installed correctly to the valve, the outer cable was not in the housing. They did connect the inner cable and all felt right but wasn't. Once the cable was reinstalled everything was good. I put a clear cap on my outside outlet to make sure it was holding.
Priceless and well timed info, thank you. I will see if I can get access to the valves this way, vs. trying to go through the underbelly. The clear cap is a good idea too, best to know something is "waiting for you" so you can wear appropriate gloves lol.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
I to will look and see if I can access the valves myself this way. I do like the clear cap idea as well.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:24 AM   #11

We have used our 2016 29.5 BHDS 2 times, and I have dumped completley, but leave some water in there for chemical to mix in the black, and grey water may be in the grey tanks as well. I have closed up all the valves, and when arriving home, I have noticed the clear elbow I have on the main valve full of water. This week it looked like black water. I put some gloves on, and it drained out onto the ground. I left the cap off, and valve closed while it sits in the yard, but I am thinking it is not a good tight valve. I also notice the toilet valve doesnt hold water in the toilet after a flush. It seeps out. The add on valve may be a good add on for holding everything in.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:05 AM   #12
Site Team

I have a different model 5er but I can clearly see all my valves by removing the large panel in the storage compartment.

I may have to hire a midget to actually get to them but they are easy to see.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #13

Used our new 321 for the first time last weekend and noticed that neither of the grey valves close completely. I get a constant drip out of the sewer pipe cover cap. It's annoying and obvious. We had no sewer hookup at the CG so there was a big wet spot under the coach. Luckily the black valve is fine.
I've added these to my punch list for when I take the unit back to the dealer later this month for other warranty issues. Thought about adding a Valterra valve but we wont be camping again until later this summer...bummer....(gotta go see my grandkids in Europe in a few weeks ).
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #14

I have had seepage from the black tank as well. I flush my tank clean. (Obsessively). Is there an adjustment? This will be on my short punch list.
FoxRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #15

We have the same problem with our 2016 29.5 BHDS. We have also paid an authorized Jayco repair shop to look into this, and they said that not all liquids are completely drained, after a dump--unless the RV is completely leveled and we leave the valves opened for a longer period of time. They had tried to replicate the issue by putting water into all three (of four) tanks, then drain them. Then, left the main hose connection valve cap opened. After three days, they said they did not see any residual seepage and/or leaks from any of the valves.

So, to mitigate the issue, we ended up purchasing a portable gate valve as attaching it to the hose connection. Now, there is no seepage when we remove the connection cap. Problem solved--for now.

Here's the valve we bought: http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T...ilpage_o00_s01
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #16

Good idea Tularockstar. My Amazon cart will be updated accordingly.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #17

Im doing the same. I will make a big warranty check list for the winter.

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
We have the same problem with our 2016 29.5 BHDS. We have also paid an authorized Jayco repair shop to look into this, and they said that not all liquids are completely drained, after a dump--unless the RV is completely leveled and we leave the valves opened for a longer period of time. They had tried to replicate the issue by putting water into all three (of four) tanks, then drain them. Then, left the main hose connection valve cap opened. After three days, they said they did not see any residual seepage and/or leaks from any of the valves.

So, to mitigate the issue, we ended up purchasing a portable gate valve as attaching it to the hose connection. Now, there is no seepage when we remove the connection cap. Problem solved--for now.

Here's the valve we bought: http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-T...ilpage_o00_s01
Thanks for letting us know this. I to have ordered and installed the same valve and yes it stops the seepage when removing the cap. Knowing that you took it in to a jayco repair shop and they couldn't fix it kinda sucks but now at least we won't have to waste our summer with the camper at the dealer for who knows how long for them to tell me the same thing.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #19

Great to hear that your seepage has stopped, Jason! I really hated it, but it seemed like an unsolvable issue we owners will have to deal with. At least we're not getting sewage water all over us, when removing the cap. Jeeessh!

Quote:
Thanks for letting us know this. I to have ordered and installed the same valve and yes it stops the seepage when removing the cap. Knowing that you took it in to a jayco repair shop and they couldn't fix it kinda sucks but now at least we won't have to waste our summer with the camper at the dealer for who knows how long for them to tell me the same thing.
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
I had one of these on my previous fiver and put one on my Jayco as soon as it was purchased. I added a small screw through the waste pipe just behind the coupling "notch" so that it would not inadvertently twist off on its own and so it cannot be removed without removing the screw. (Explaining this is not nearly as easy as a picture...sorry 'bout that).

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote