Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #21

I think edatlanta's suggestion about using a toilet wand is certainly worth trying. I'd want to be hooked up to a sewer dump when using it.

I've always thought that after dumping adding water to the black tank by filling the toilet with water and flushing three or four times is a good idea. My hope is that those several gallons of water when sloshing around inside the black tank when traveling would break up any beginning build-up pile. Does anybody else do that, and what do you think?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #22

Steve, sounds like the same issue. One forum member uses a "dose" of hot water periodically when the unit is sitting for extended periods. I'm not certain of the orientation and position of the tank back wash nozzle, but I could almost guarantee it has little effect on the inlet area of the tank. Thus a continual pyramid build-up. By using a hot water feed to the back wash and putting several gallons of same down the toilet inlet with the toilet pulled cleared my problem for now. No more "burping" and clog free. By design and regardless of the chemical being used and bowl volume I would suspect it will always be a maintenance requirement especially when parked for prolong periods. And, I truly believe as stated previously, the right angle tank entry and inlet placement is where the problem starts. Jim
Jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #23

To RV Hiker, I heard of people using/adding a bag of ice cubes to the tank to help break-up the solids just before moving out. Because of the design of the inlet in my unit it is difficult to pass a wand, hose or other apparatus through the street el input couplings and into the tank.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #24

Jbaker, When I put in the new tank I made sure the new rinser was positioned to wash away any "poop pyramid". That's what's leading to me thinking it is the pipe. But I put in the pipe, brand new, and there is no lip in it. So... if it continues to happen I might have an excuse to get one of those Harbor Freight inspection cameras. Just because.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #25

Steve, I thought about purchasing a scope camera when the problem first occurred, for $99 at Home Depot, but the stem/scope cable is only 24" long. Being my tank inlet was more than 40" from the toilet bowl this wasn't possible. After returning home I further investigated the physical layout of the system. Now I could drill a hole in the 4"inch leader/inlet line in the bay area under the bath floor an insert a scope or even a hot water hose within 12 inches of the tank inlet, if I need to in the future. Hopefully, I can keep my tank maintained with periodic hot water "douches."
Good Luck,
Jim
Old 03-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
I think edatlanta's suggestion about using a toilet wand is certainly worth trying. I'd want to be hooked up to a sewer dump when using it.

I've always thought that after dumping adding water to the black tank by filling the toilet with water and flushing three or four times is a good idea. My hope is that those several gallons of water when sloshing around inside the black tank when traveling would break up any beginning build-up pile. Does anybody else do that, and what do you think?
I do add a couple gallons of water and a cap full of Calgon liquid to the empty tank and I think it does help. However, I also use the "wand" (purchased at WalMart for about $7) and occasionally put it down the toilet to give the tank a good rinse. It does a much better job than the installed tank rinser. It seems like the only time the black tank indicator light shows empty is after using the wand.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote