Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2015, 02:29 PM   #1

Angry Black Tank Vent Problem

Burping toilet on a 321rlts fifth wheel which also routinely plugs at the tank inlet. Assume the roof event piping has broken/separated and fallen into the tank. The vent pipe is adjacent to the elbow inlet to the tank. Thought about a TV camera w/scope or cutting a hole in the wall column just behind the toilet. Has anyone had a structure failure with the tank or vent attachment? Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Site Team

You could slide a wide tape measure down the vent pipe to see if it is below the water level. Also check to see if there are signs that the vent pipe has slipped down far enough to be below the water level which would cause the burp.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:36 PM   #3

Not sure if I understand your problem but you may have had something go into your vent pipe from the roof. Try running water down the vent pipe from the roof and see if that changes anything.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #4

Thanks, I did run a garden hose down the vent and water from that hose does drain.
Just don't know if I'm at the tank bottom. I assume the tank is pitch and when the liquid level rises to where I believe the vent is it starts burping. I also ran the hose down the toilet inlet and hit a hard restriction. Any other thoughts are appreciated.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

Unless your setup is different the toilet is a pretty simple task to remove. Almost like your home. Lift it out and see what you have. It may be a toilet issue. Wish I could help more we have never owned a fifth wheel only TT and class A.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #6

had same problem on brothers we fought with vent for days it ending up being solild build up at inlet
finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #7

If the toilet is close to your storage compartment you can take part of the wall loose and see in or reach the pipe . The storage walls are usually easy to take off with a small square head screwdriver.
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by finney View Post
had same problem on brothers we fought with vent for days it ending up being solild build up at inlet
This gets my vote. Your symptoms sound familiar and this is usually the case that comes from not using enough water when flushing. IMHO

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #9

our old camper had a turn right under the toilet that would clog periodically and I ran a snake through it ... I would check toilet side next with water turned off and hold valve open and try to get a passthru into tank
Old 02-27-2015, 04:58 AM   #10

My sister wasn't using as much water per flush as I had told her to use and over time I got a plug right where the pipe from the toilet enters the black tank. I couldn't see it, but it was definitely plugged.

Get one of these:

Search - black tank wand - Camping World

Solved the problem in seconds.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:15 AM   #11

Yes to all who think conserve water.... Don't when it comes to flushing ... Very important to not only get the waste to the tank but to help the waste break down and come out of the tank when you dump ... Don't put half a cup worth in the bowl ... It's not enough lol
Old 02-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #12

I think EdAtlanta and Planmptinfool3 have the best answers my family would not use enough water and I had clogs at the dump valve. I would fill the toilet to the rim and flush and that would clear the clogs.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #13
Site Team

The op wanted info on what caused the toilet to burp. That indicates a vent problem IMO.
The posts on more water are spot on but don't address the original posters problem.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 02-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #14

Thanks Ed, we purchased this 2011 trailer in 2011 and never had a problem until we pulled in to a SC park this past December, and within a couple days the toilet started to burp when flushed. Eventually it plugged at the elbow which I was able too disperse with a garden water hose. I would drain and flush the tank and would then reappear with burping in a couple of days. Don't know how the tank is constructed so I probably should call Jayco tech support. But, haven't had good experiences with those people in the past. Jim
Old 02-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #15
Site Team

Black Tank Vent Problem

Ok. My bad , I see you have 2 questions. I have had 3 fifth wheels and the toilet drain all had bends on the way to the tank. Could there be some debris or a rough pipe joint that could be snagging the stuff going down. I look down in mine with a flashlight and see lots of PVC solvent on the inside, but I have no problems except when near full mine will burp but that tells me it's time to dump the tank.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 02-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #16

Norty, Thanks....I did here about the excess solvent at the elbow joint causing a problem on some Jayco toilet drains. I do see solvent stripes but not excessive. There is some sort of hard material obstruction just pass that elbow. I have use a standard toilet bowl snake and a garden hose with the same result. I'm going with the theory that the vent pipe or a portion thereof has dropped to the floor of the tank since I haven't had a problem for 3 years. Maybe there is some one out there that has had this problem. Hoping that someone has determined the best way to go at the diagnosis/fix, if that be the case. Jim
Old 03-17-2015, 10:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
My sister wasn't using as much water per flush as I had told her to use and over time I got a plug right where the pipe from the toilet enters the black tank. I couldn't see it, but it was definitely plugged.

Get one of these:

Search - black tank wand - Camping World

Solved the problem in seconds.
I had the same problem with my toilet burping when I flushed. Sometimes would even splash out a little. I flushed the the tank several times for about an hour at a time and it continued. I live in my mine full-time. It all started when my toilet bowl wouldn't hold water. When you flushed there wasn't much water going down. Then I read here about the dreaded pyramid. I got a 5 gallon bucket and filled it with hot water from the shower and dumped it down the toilet as fast as I could without it spilling. I repeated this process 3 times. The burping went away. Your probably not getting enough water down the toilet when you flush. I haven't fixed the toilet seal yet but when it starts to burp I repeat the process and it goes away.
speckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:46 PM   #18

sounds like the toilet is drinking too much if its burping. Got the same problem myself when i go to the pub

Old 03-18-2015, 01:14 PM   #19

Thanks! I finally investigated the physical tank and associated piping looking for a potential vent piping mechanical failure. There is none. I called Jayco to inquire about the physical properties of the tank and inlet including the "backwash" piping. Being that the tank is only 8 inches deep at the toilet inlet which is near the tank sidewall and corner; then combined this with an offset of 45 to 45 degree pipe entry, could certainly cause a build-up problem. Also consider that such an inlet design would restrict the velocity (decelerate) the solids and paper entering the tank. Thus, all of which could contribute to what you describe as the pyramid of solid build-up. We never experienced this problem with my two previous 5th wheel trailers and we have flushed and maintained the tank and toilet in the same manner. But again, this is our first Jayco, so I must believe like you have suggested. You get a continuous build-up which cannot be dispersed by the configuration of the backwash spray pipe/nozzle. To possibly overcome this design problem you might need to double the volume of the flush water and thus limit the tank capacity life. In the future, I'll use the hot water bucket flush or insert a hose running hot water periodically to maintain the tank as you suggested. Thanks again for your input and advice. Jim
Old 03-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #20

I have the same issue with mine. Same setup, shallow tank and 2 45's from the floor to the tank. I installed a new black tank so I know its clean but after a while there's a buildup. I can clear it with a plunger. I guess it moves the pile enough to drain the plumbing. It really started to show up last summer because we had to live in the camper for two months while I remodeled our bathroom. I think sitting in one place didn't help. I flushed every 3 days with a mascerator pump and rinsed until the water was almost clear but still the same thing. It could very well be goop is getting stuck in the pipe just before it hits the tank. That would explain why the plunger works so well.

I've had this camper since 2007 and this is the first time, other than actually getting full, that there's been an issue.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD
steveb285rks is offline   Reply With Quote