Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #1

black water leak

Hi, I moved into my 1992 Jayco designer 5th wheel three months ago. It has been smelling like sewage on and off. The smell has slowly become worse and now I see a drip underneath. I do not know what to do except call an rv dealership that will tell me to bring it in and charge me to do nothing or create more issues. How can you tell I've had a bad experience with a dealership that only cares about taking your money or take advantage of you because you are a woman. lol
Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #2

I do not know what is available in your area but feel certain there are knowledgable Independant RV services. You have started by asking for help here. Be bold and ask everyone you can for a recommendation, call your insurance company and ask who they use n your area to perform their claim works even though you do not have a claim. If you are leaking any amount on the ground you must get it repaired immediately.
Old skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Hi, I moved into my 1992 Jayco designer 5th wheel three months ago. It has been smelling like sewage on and off. The smell has slowly become worse and now I see a drip underneath. I do not know what to do except call an rv dealership that will tell me to bring it in and charge me to do nothing or create more issues. How can you tell I've had a bad experience with a dealership that only cares about taking your money or take advantage of you because you are a woman. lol
Hi Wendy, sorry to hear.

with a 25year old unit, you're going to have issues. So... welcome to your first day of being a DIYer!

First thing to do would be to get some old clothes on and crawl under the rig with a flashlight to determine exactly where the drip is coming from. It might not be black water. It could be a drip from the AC unit... could be anything.

The next thing that could be wrong would be a dried up seal under the commode. These things didn't use wax rings, instead they use squishy foam rings. Its quite possible the ring is letting sewer gas into the unit.

The next thing to do will be to climb up onto the roof of the unit. Get a good step ladder and a helper! carefully walk on the roof, and find the vent pipe that is above the bathroom. gently try to pull up on the vent pipe. If the pipe moves vertically easily in your hand, that means it could have possibly fallen INTO the black tank. when a vent pipe falls into the tank, no fresh air can get in, and the stink can't get out.

At least by crawling over and under your rig, you'll start to get a better feel of the unit and your capabilities, and WHEN THE SERVICE MANAGER is trying to blow smoke.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote