Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #1

Black water valve

I have a 2015 Eagle 31.5 FBHS that since I got has had a "leaky" black water valve. The valve is located behind the water hookup door on the side of the trailer and as such is installed with a cable extension. I suspect the cable is out of adjustment and the valve is not closing all the way, so when I open the cap on the drain pipe I get a whole pipe full of "fluid". This is problematic in two ways, the first one being it is just gross, but the second is more of an issue. Because the liquid is draining out of my tank, it is not staying the black water tanks leaving very liquid for the solids to move out.

I am wondering if anyone else has had issues with the cable style valves and what they have done to fix them, and also is thing going to be a constant issue going forward....
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #2

It is possible but because its your black tank valve, I would suspect toilet paper is wedged in you're valve blade. That has happened to me on a couple of occasions. My advice to you is get a Valterra T58 twist on waste valve. It is a an extra valve that goes on the end of your discharge pipe where you normally connect your waste hose. It will stop all leaks for the short term. If you leave your black tank valve open and keep your grey tank valves closed while you use your trailer for the next trip or two, the toilet paper will usually flush out of the valve.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #3

Being its a 2015 it may be construction debris. Like said above get you a clear adapter and hook it up at a dump station and try flushing a few times to see if you can dislodge something. If you still have leakage after that then either mis adjusted cable ( like you said) or a faulty valve. Good luck and hope it is simple.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
It is possible but because its your black tank valve, I would suspect toilet paper is wedged in you're valve blade. That has happened to me on a couple of occasions. My advice to you is get a Valterra T58 twist on waste valve. It is a an extra valve that goes on the end of your discharge pipe where you normally connect your waste hose. It will stop all leaks for the short term. If you leave your black tank valve open and keep your grey tank valves closed while you use your trailer for the next trip or two, the toilet paper will usually flush out of the valve.
It is IMPORTANT to leave the black gate valve open while you use the other tanks. If you are constantly working the valve open and shut, it will only keep the paper packed in the wedge. You need the valve full of fluids so that the toilet paper will swell and float out. Been there and done that even tho it may not seem to make sense...
Old 07-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #5

Its a 2015. My advice would be to let the dealer check it out and fix it under warranty. Then you have a record if you have problems later.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Its a 2015. My advice would be to let the dealer check it out and fix it under warranty. Then you have a record if you have problems later.
If its turns out to be paper in the valve, warranty will not cover that. You will pay to either clean or replace the valve.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:57 AM   #7

IT there right now.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #8

HappyGuy, I had the same problem with mine. I just did what Ela1948 did. That takes care of any valve leaks.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 AM   #9

I had the same problem with our 2013 321 RLTS. Took it to dealer and they flushed a bolt left from assembly fromthe black water shutoff valve. Who knew?
Papa Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #10

I am having the same problem with my black tank valve in the front tank and the grey tank on the outdoor kitchen. The dealer said it's more than likely full of junk from the factory and since it has done it since day one. Going to take it back at the end of the season. But it dose suck to open the cap and get nasty water all over your shoes and hands and we have used ours a lot this summer.
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinglife2 View Post
But it dose suck to open the cap and get nasty water all over your shoes and hands and we have used ours a lot this summer.
Our valve has a little dribble when I pull the cap so I don't really worry about it. But I do wear disposable latex gloves that I get from Harbor Freight when "doing the nasty".

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #12

I put a flush king on the hose connection when i parked before using any tanks. Leave it in place untill you are ready to dump. Hook up your hose and dump as normal. I agree nasty water when you remove the cap just ain't fun.
Papa Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #13

Yea not fun to have nasty water come out when you remove cap. Also not good when you have two grandsons that like to play with the handles and you dont know that its been pulled and remove cap and get a big suprise.. ask me how I know this... But on a serious note hope you can get the valve fixed.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:55 PM   #14

dirty job

I invested in the Valterra T58 valve http://amzn.com/B000BGHYJS, best thing ever, dont know why this is not standard.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #15

Had the same issue with my 2010 315FBHS dealer had no answer for the problem, had them checked it twice, did same thing hooked up the hose to clean it out and also made sure every trip out it was shut properly. Been three years and no leaks.
mikeadrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #16

Got it back - hope it's fixed

Picked up the trailer from the dealer, they say it needed adjustment, wasn't closing the last 1/4 inch. We'll see on our trip over Labor Day..
Old 08-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #17

@mikeadrenaline - say you are in Edmonton, looking at moving back up there soon! (St. Albert)
Old 08-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #18

I bought the exact same camper. 2015 model. After first night camping, black water valve was not closed. Took it back to the dealer, they "fixed" it. Second camping trip, black water valve not closed. We called them, they said that the cable was bent, so they bent it back. Their recommendation: bend it back again. I live 3.5 hrs from the nearest Jayco dealer. Their idea of putting the valve handles on cables was good, but obviously not tested well. I am reluctant to fix it myself because if I screw anything up they will just tell me I voided the warranty.
Zink273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #19

Got back from out Labor Day weekend, looks like third time is a charm. No leaking black water valve!
Old 05-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #20

I have a 2007 Designer 5th wheel. The black water tank will not drain when I open the valve. How can I get it to drain?
rboschert is offline   Reply With Quote