Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #1

Blackwater Vent

My toilet seems to be backing up with toilet paper. Eventually it will work its way down the pipe into the tank but its a slow process. Also when you flush the water splashes out of the tank as if it were burping. I have spent hours flushing the blackwater tank but I think the vent is clogged. The water when i open the valve to flush seems to flow slower than it did before.
I put a water hose down the vent on the roof and it filled the gray water tank and started to fill the kitchen sink. Can any one tell me where the vent is for the blackwater? I have a 2013 Eagle Premier 361 REQS.
Thanks
speckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #2

I have seen a post on here not that long ago about someone who had a similar problem and his was blocked
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #3

Depending on how many tanks you have, there should be at least 2 vents on the roof. One for grey, one for black. As far as I know, the black tank has a pipe plumbed directly into it and vents directly to the roof. Locate the vent and hose it down as well, that should unclog it.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #4

I had a similar situation using the black tank flush and it did nothing. Pouring water down the toilet with a 5 gal pail solved the problem. The volume of water from the pail dislodged the solids. I spent a couple of hours using the tank flush thinking because the water ran clear it was cleaned out. Then I poured seven 5 gal pails down until it ran clear again. It was an idea I got from mcfarmall' post with regards to winterizing and pouring pails down the toilet and sink drains. Try that.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #5

It is remotely possible that the vent pipe has slipped down and is in contact with the bottom of the tank and therefore cannot let air in and out of your black tank.
the other possibility
When your at a campground with full hookups do you leave the black water valve open? This is NOT good thing.. it allows the liquids to drain away but the solids remain resulting in the dreaded mountain of poo under the toilet which would also act like you described. Always leave the valve closed till the tank is full.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
When your at a campground with full hookups do you leave the black water valve open? This is NOT good thing.. it allows the liquids to drain away but the solids remain resulting in the dreaded mountain of poo under the toilet which would also act like you described. Always leave the valve closed till the tank is full.
I agree. With all that toilet paper, the symptoms sound like the "Dreaded Pyramid"

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #7

My sister spent a few weeks with me this past summer and wasn't using enough water with each flush. She forgot. What happened was a plug of tp right where the down pipe has a turn entering the black tank. The plug wasn't total and would allow slow flow into the black tank so with each flush more would build up, but it will seep down and wasn't noticeable by me. It finally plugged completely. I could actually see part of the plug by looking down from the toilet with a flashlight. The black tank flush wouldn't get it and even flushing with the toilet bowl completely full of water didn't break it loose. I picked up a wand from a local RV store, hooked it to the hose from outside and one trip down to the black tank solved the problem.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:45 AM   #8

I poured several 5 gallon buckets of hot water down the toilet and picked up a wand at Walmart and flushed for about an hour with it and I think that solved my problem. After filling and flushing with the blackwater flusher that the RV has in it the water was crystal clear. When I poured the hot water down the toilet it broke loose a lot of stuff and the water was pretty nasty. I flushed until the water was clear again.
When I flushed with the wand alot more stuff broke loose and i continued until the water was clear again.
I am a full timer and I flush every week until the water is clear. Usually flush and fill about 3 Xs then let the flusher run about 30 min. before I add about 10 gal of water after I close the valve. Goes to show that the built in flusher doesn't get everything.
Thanks for all your help
speckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote