Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

Bought an Andersen fifth wheel hitch today

So after much deliberation, and with some angst, I have pulled the trigger on an Andersen fifth wheel hitch. Will pick it up and install next week. Report to follow.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #2

Congrats! Don't forget to take pisc, I have been thinking about getting one myself but I just don't have a fiver's yet I don't even know where we are going to get a fiver's.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:17 PM   #3

Congratulations. Did you order rhe aluminum version? If I had 5ver this is the hitch I would have, as my back could not handle moving the big steel hitch assembly.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 04:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboocreek View Post
So after much deliberation, and with some angst, I have pulled the trigger on an Andersen fifth wheel hitch. Will pick it up and install next week. Report to follow.
Bought the Andersen last winter. Don't really think it is a world changer but works very well. Biggest issue that I don't care for is that you have to raise the fifth wheel quite a bit to get off of the ball to get loose from it. Makes you question how much wear and tear you are adding to your landing gear. Don't buy into that sales hype that you don't need to lubricate the ball. Metal to metal always needs lubrication for longevity !! You will also read reviews that they eliminate chucking which is nonsense. Chucking is the reaction you feel coming thru the trailer that comes from trailer tires running over rough roads that transfers thru the pin. The Andersen certainly has no slap or looseness in the connection but that tight connection in no way reduces chucking.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:01 AM   #5

Thank you for the info Ela1948.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Thank you for the info Ela1948.
You're welcome!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #7

We've been towing with the Andersen for a few months now, it's worked great for us. We've got the MorRyde RPB, so haven't had much chucking. I believe the biggest factor to avoid it is getting the pin weight correct. If it's too light you'll feel EVERYTHING! Raising the nose higher is a bit of a bother, but the upside is you won't High-hitch and drop the pin box on the pickup bed. There is no mistaking whether or not it's on there. Good luck and safe travels!
Krusegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #8

Personally I've already done 6 camping trips and almost 2000 miles on my Andersen Ultimate 2. I have no complaints or problems while towing. I think it tows very smooth and hookup and disconnect is very easy for me.
Love it!

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:28 AM   #9

I too bought one on a hope and prayer. I have an older 2002 F250 shortbox 4x4. I can't even begin to tell you how shocked I was at the install. I thought for sure, even after watching all the videos, that I would have dropped the f-bomb atleast 3-4 times during the install.

Turns out - it was a breeze. You do have to raise the landing gear up fairly high (which for a new 5ver owner was a bit of a OH @#!@ moment) to get it on, but it towed like a dream. If I wasn't getting really crappy gas mileage, I would have forgotten it was back there. Turning clearances so far seem to be more than adequate. I'm going to find a big open space and see how far I can push it for my own edification.
datx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:54 AM   #10

Interesting, I will be glad when the wife and I are able to get something.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:23 AM   #11

Yesterday was my first time towing with our new Andersen Ultimate aluminum.

I love it. Absolutely ZERO slop, noise, or sway. The truck and trailer are one unit.

I couldn't be happier with it.
northmeck0255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by northmeck0255 View Post
Yesterday was my first time towing with our new Andersen Ultimate aluminum.

I love it. Absolutely ZERO slop, noise, or sway. The truck and trailer are one unit.

I couldn't be happier with it.

Awesome, do you have any pics? I'm trying to decide on getting this setup.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #13

So an update.....or how I slid the razor.

So I mention to my lovely wife that we need to run into town to pick something up for the fifth wheel. Of course I have not told her I am spending $750 and am being deliberately coy. As I look back now I realize there in lies the beginning of my adventure. She gives me a quizzical look but attaches her one condition...a stop at Costco. I immediately agree. Piece of cake I think to myself. To make her even happier I head to Costco first. Unknown to myself she was already at least two steps ahead of me. I however was under the foolish, if not horribly mistaken impression that I was doing just fine.

Loading a significant amount of Costco purchases into the truck she asks me what did "We" need for the camper. I non-chalantly pass it off as some hitch stuff. Of course I am not explaining to her that I am completely, or at the time planning, to replace the whole unit. Several minutes pass, she's a cagey one I'll give her that, she says so what hitch stuff? Well I figure as we are pulling into the hitch shop that this is a good time to explain the purchase with many references to safety. Figuring any conversation laced with safety is a winner. She looks less than convinced.

I beginning to squirm a little in my seat wondering to myself how Dr. Phil would handle this. She asks, "so have we been unsafe for the last two years"? Of course not I say. I even add a little tone quality to my voice to attempt to emphasize my point. "It's an upgrade" I counter, realizing the tone in my voice was recognized and not appreciated. I then realize she is brushing the hair away from her face which I have come to learn is akin to a horse swishing its tail before it kicks, a rattler shaking its tail before it strikes, a dog baring its teeth before it bites.....you get the point.

We paid "three thousand dollars for the Pull Rite two years ago, right"? " Yes" I answer, thinking that a long answer would be a mistake. "Was it a good hitch when you bought it two years ago"? "It was top of the line, they made no better", I answered. I'm home free now..... I added that this new hitch is an upgrade. I'm half way down the razor now and don't even realize it.

She looks me square in the eye and asks, "when we were married 35 years ago was I top of the line, no-one better"?

Now every man on the planet, except apparently me, could see the trap.

I answer "yes you were top of the line". Microphone drop......I just knew that response would be the bomb. My neurons were doing the wave and high-fiving each other at the obvious brilliance of how I handled her trickiness.

"So if I was top of the line and none better, and an upgrade came along, would you trade me for the upgrade"?

BOOM. CHECKMATE.

Now at this point I had two choices. Both bad. Answer yes, get the hitch, get unhitched. Or answer no, place tail between legs and admit defeat to a superior power.

I'm not getting an Anderson.
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:41 PM   #14

I love the benefits of the Andersen Ultimate to convert our gooseneck.

Beach Cart XL
GlampinLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:18 AM   #15

I too just bought an Anderson hitch for a 26.5 bhs eagle ht. Picking up the trailer tomorrow will let you. So far have heard a lot of positive reviews.
JMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:57 AM   #16

JMBO, Yes please do let us know, I would like one myself.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #17

Picked up my Jayco Eagle HT 26.5 BHS on Wednesday. Used the Anderson for the first time, was a little concerned at first but what a surprise, I found hook up very easy, trailering was very good. No Chucking, smooth operation, Yes you do raise the FW high to put on the ball, but I didn't find this to be a big deal. Just trying to get the right height adjustment I had the ball in the "middle" with about 8 inches of truck/ rail clearance and the nose on FW was a little high so this weekend I am going to drop it down to lowest setting and see how it sets. I would highly recommend it.
JMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #18

I'm using the Pullrite copycat SuperLite hitch with my 377RLBH. Similar if not exact idea. 3000 miles no problems but again, I'm waiting for that 1 campsite where I can't raise the 5'er high enough to unhitch.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauby View Post
I'm using the Pullrite copycat SuperLite hitch with my 377RLBH. Similar if not exact idea. 3000 miles no problems but again, I'm waiting for that 1 campsite where I can't raise the 5'er high enough to unhitch.
Just unhook hitch from goose ball in truck & pickup whole thing.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #20

Now why didn't I think of that? Sometimes it is the obvious that smacks you across the face!
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote