Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

Brake Assembly Failure, TPMS worked!

Today we were heading back from a weeks stay and I had a tire heat up to over 10 degrees vs the same side front. After continuing another 15 miles the temp increased another 4 degrees while the the other 3 remained constant. This told me that something was wrong.

After pulling over I quickly grabbed my heat gun and hit the rubber followed by the rim then brake drums. The rim in question was 50 degrees warmer then the others while the drum was over 100 degrees warmer than the others. That told me a lot.

While looking to see if I could back off on the adjustment to loosen the brake pads I saw spring parts laying in the bottom of the assembly. Now I knew I had to pull the tire. After doing so, my diagnosis was correct in that the hub was hard to turn so the pads had to be removed to make the rest of the trip.

One pad fell out in pieces while the other remained intact. After removing the pads I put the hub back on and away we went less one brake.

I am now going to need a new assembly and will be pulling the remaining hubs to see if there are any other issues.

My TPMS came through for me and did a great job in monitoring and helping me get my rig to safety prior to a potential major issue.

If you don't have one I highly recommend having this important monitoring system.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote