Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2015, 03:25 PM   #11

Tail lights and marker lights are on the same circuit. This happened to me on my Outback and it turned out to be a short to ground on one of the marker lights. Check the fuse first. If not that, you have a short somewhere. That can be harder to trace down.

Like mike837go said - the top two (female) pins on the trailer plug are the markers/tail-lights and 12V supply. For a quick check without any meter, You can take an automotive fuse (10 amp or higher) and push into those pins (see diagram shown earlier). If your markers and tail-lights come on then, you have a problem with the truck connector or the tail-light wire from the truck to that connector.

Good luck! Hope it's just the fuse.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:57 PM   #12

It could be a bad connection in the trailer connector that plugs into the truck. I always squirt some WD40 into the connector and move the plug around a bit in an effort to clean up the connection some.

You might want to get one of those 7-way tester adapter that has small LEDs on it. This will tell you you right away if the truck circuits is good or bad. If all the led lights are working when they are suppose to be then the problem is on the trailer side...

looks like this available from etrailer or AMAZON...

Roy Ken

RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #13

Your TV might be different, but on my Dakota, I had to replace a blown fuse, in the fuse/relay box that is under the hood
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedGirlie View Post
Yes truck has lights. We feel sure it is a fuse we r about to be where we can check it. (If it will stop raining��)
The truck has tail lights the problem is in the 7pin connection or the trailer it self. RoyBraddy's checker or a test light at the 7pin will tell if power is getting to the TT.

RoyBraddy thanks never saw one another add to my on the road kit!
196? Shasta 16ft

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #15

A lot of people are not aware that the 7pin connector and your TV lights are not connected to the same fuse, they are isolated from each other. I found this out the hard way when I jackknifed a trailer a few years back on ice. I thought I damaged the wire harness, Dealer replaced the fuse under the hood and charged me well over $100. Luckily I billed it back to the insurance claim.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
A lot of people are not aware that the 7pin connector and your TV lights are not connected to the same fuse, they are isolated from each other. I found this out the hard way when I jackknifed a trailer a few years back on ice. I thought I damaged the wire harness, Dealer replaced the fuse under the hood and charged me well over $100. Luckily I billed it back to the insurance claim.
I learned this the hard way as well. Had a boat trailer and could not get all the lights to work but the truck lights worked fine. Replaced the lights and wiring on the trailer thinking they must be defective, still nothing. Then I found the trailer light fuses on the inside of the cab fuse panel, one of them was blown. I felt pretty dumb at that point after changing the lights and wiring for nothing.

Moral of the story is the truck lights and trailer lights can have different fuses if you have the tow package, so your truck lights may be working fine even with a blown trailer light fuse.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I learned this the hard way as well. Had a boat trailer and could not get all the lights to work but the truck lights worked fine. Replaced the lights and wiring on the trailer thinking they must be defective, still nothing. Then I found the trailer light fuses on the inside of the cab fuse panel, one of them was blown. I felt pretty dumb at that point after changing the lights and wiring for nothing.

Moral of the story is the truck lights and trailer lights can have different fuses if you have the tow package, so your truck lights may be working fine even with a blown trailer light fuse.
I learned this one the hard way too. First weekend we had our trailer, the wire got pinched somewhere. I brought it back to the dealer (boy was that an adventure with intermittent brakes and lights!) who replaced the cord (warranty ) and checked all the fuses on the trailer side. I went to plug into the truck, and no good on some lights. Turns out the pinched wire had shorted out the circuit and blew one of the fuses under the hood of the truck, but the truck's tail lights still worked perfectly. Tech at the RV shop popped in a new fuse for me and advised me to get some spares. So I did; now I have an assortment of fuses for the truck as well as the trailer.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #18

I still maintain that using an automotive fuse to connect the top two female pins on your trailer plug will confirm whether you have a problem in the trailer wiring, or the trailer connector on your truck. No meter needed for this basic check.
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:47 AM   #19

were sort of in the same boat, 2017 Greyhawk. We have brake lights but no turn signals.
Are the pins in the attch 7 pin connector picture the same on the e450 as the f150? if not where can I get the correct picture for pin location?
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #20

X2 on cleaning the trailer connection with WD-40. I had a pin not making a good connection/contact with my truck's 7 pin box before. after WD-40 issues were gone.

citgodan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer exterior lights