Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #1

Buying Tireminder 1A1 - brass or aluminmum?

We are ordering a Tireminder 1A1 TPMS for our 2016 Pinnacle 36FBTS. I am a little confused.

If our tire stems are aluminum, we need to order Aluminum transmitters but if they are rubber, steel, nichol or brass, we can use the stand brass transmitters.

Now, when I look at my pinnacle tire stems, clearly they are metal. I am not sure of the metal composition.

Does anyone know what metal the tire stems of the 2016 Pinnacle 36FBTS is made of?
Old 06-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #2

Answered my own Question

Ok, I found the manual for the system I am buying on-line. On page 41 or a 50 page manual, it reads:

Aluminum Valve Stems & Galvanic Corrosion
Please note Minder Research makes two types of transmitters, the TM-2BRASS and the TM-2ALUM. The basic kits come with either 4 or 6 of the TM-Brass type transmitters. These will fit ALL Motor Homes (Class A, B or C), ALL 5th wheel trailers and ALL towables.

TIP: you ONLY need the special TM-2ALUM if you are towing a car or light truck which already has a built in Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).
 These will usually be 2007 or newer (as mandated).
 These valve stems will be dull silver (vs. the shiny silver on your motor home).
 The shiny ones are either stainless steel or chrome plated brass and do not require special transmitters.
 Don’t bother with the “magnet test.” Most stainless steel is not magnetic.
 What you are avoiding here is called “galvanic corrosion.” This happens when dissimilar metals come into contact for a period of time. Moisture (especially if salty) will cause the two metals to become so corroded that they cannot be separated.

Bottom line, the brass transmitters will work on any 5th wheel valve stem.

Tags
pinnaclefbts, tireminder, tpms