Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #1

Cable and satellite feeds

I am currently running cable tv into my fifth wheel but I am getting ready for a road trip and want to use my winegard carry out for Direct TV. I have one jack on the outside of the trailer that feeds either a cable or the satellite feed in.
When I hook up the satellite feed I have to remove a jumper inside which is on a wall plate with a double jack labeled A & B. You remove the jumper from "A" and then use that jack to run the satellite feed into your receiver box. The bottom "B" jack is the feed into the bedroom TV.
Now for my question? Is there a way to run cable and satellite into the trailer at the same time using the single jack outside? Is there a splitter or something that you can use outside and then run the cable and satellite feed into the single jack and the have both feeds running through the single cable and then run the output of those two cables into the jack "A" which then feeds the TV and use the tv's input selection to decide which feed to watch. Make any sense?
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I am currently running cable tv into my fifth wheel but I am getting ready for a road trip and want to use my winegard carry out for Direct TV. I have one jack on the outside of the trailer that feeds either a cable or the satellite feed in.
When I hook up the satellite feed I have to remove a jumper inside which is on a wall plate with a double jack labeled A & B. You remove the jumper from "A" and then use that jack to run the satellite feed into your receiver box. The bottom "B" jack is the feed into the bedroom TV.
Now for my question? Is there a way to run cable and satellite into the trailer at the same time using the single jack outside? Is there a splitter or something that you can use outside and then run the cable and satellite feed into the single jack and the have both feeds running through the single cable and then run the output of those two cables into the jack "A" which then feeds the TV and use the tv's input selection to decide which feed to watch. Make any sense?
My satelite tech put a splitter in the satelite feed and ran 2 short coax feeds to the satelite outlet and the cable outlet to enable us to watch both tvs at the same time and different programs- Something like this might solve your dilemma- JMHO- DD
Old 06-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #3

When i was using that I give up trying to outfox the CABLE/SATELITTE connections on the RV.

I just ran separate RG cables into the RV and connected them to the SAT RCVR antenna input. Then I came out of the SAT RCVR using the VIDEO connections to go to the Living room or bedroom TV set.

This allowed me to switch from CABLE TV to SAT TV using the TV remote.

When the Natl Broadcast Digital TV for local CBS-NBC-FOX-ABC-PBS came out a few years back I stopped bringing my home SAT RCVRS along with us on trips and watch FULL BLOWN High Def TV using the OTA crankup BATWING antenna. We usually get 6-36 digital local stations just about anywhere we go. Only time we watch the CABLE stations is when we at camp grounds with cable hookups. We can watch these cable stations over the internet as well (CNN-TNT,USA etc) but mostly watch the FREE TO THE PUBLIC Natl Broadcast Digital TV now. Once you watch full blown HDTV stations hard to go back to analog TV broadcasts...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #4

I have done this. You'll need a pair of "diplixer's"

Diplexer's combine the sat and cable signals, then on the other side break them apart again. On the outside connect the combine side (labeled in/out in the pic) to the camper, then the satellite and cable to the respective connections. On the inside remove the AB jumper and hook the diplexer combine side to the A port, then the uhf to the B port and finally sat to satellite. There you have it, one line and both satellite and cable. There's other ways to configure the inside part, but this is the general idea.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #5

Karl, thanks. I went to Radio Shack and bought two of those splitters. Am I correct in thinking that I can use the same one I use outside to split down to one cable, on the inside to split back out to the two different outputs. Do those deplixers split both ways. The two I bought are the same as the picture you attached.
I am also thinking that I may have to remove the a-b plate to find a splitter that may be behind it as the coax from the TV disappears behind the cabinetry. I believe the coax from outside runs up behind jack A-B and splits down to the TV below it and then feeds the A jack which would feed a satellite receiver if hooked up or feeds B when the jumper is hooked up from A to B which feeds the bedroom Tv. Hmmmmm, trying to understand all of this.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:34 AM   #6

Contact Jayco to get an AV diagram for your camper so you know where the splitters are. As you know, satellite input can NOT run through a splitter. You are correct on the diplexers, one on the outside to combine them, then one on the inside to separate them. There's lots of ways to add this to the camper, once the concept of diplexer's settles in the creativity can flow
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #7

Thanks, will do.