Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #1

Question Campground memberships

We have purchase a 31.5 RLTS and are ready to start enjoying some of our retirement and were wondering if there were any Campground Memberships which were worth the money spent.
Regards,
-Reece Revolution Pin Box - Requires a double jaw hitch
lastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastone View Post
We have purchase a 31.5 RLTS and are ready to start enjoying some of our retirement and were wondering if there were any Campground Memberships which were worth the money spent.
Regards,
I have Passport America (PPA) and it has saved me quite a bit over the years while traveling. I don't usually use them as destination campgrounds because I generally stay a month at a time and the monthly rates have always been better than the PPA rates. I have generally been able to find a PPA campground in close proximity to my travel route and the half-price savings is pretty good. Just be cognizant of the restrictions. Also most of the PPA parks are not 5-star resorts but aren't the worlds worst generally. I have driven through a couple that I would not stay at but by and large they are Ok for a day or two stop.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #3

We just bought a KOA membership. First time ever. Time will tell if it was worth the $24. Just 5 or 6 nights is the break even point.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #4

Welcome to the JOF, Lastone

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #5

Same as Clutch. We usually start with KOA because it is a known quantity. We really have not been disappointed in them, but we do do our research before hand. The 10 percent discount is not huge but it helps. Once we get to know an area we branch out to try other types of campgrounds.
Phar0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #6

We bought a Passport America and as "rbrum.." says they're not the top tier parks to be sure but while en-route it helps cut the costs (Now, if there was a 50% discount card/club for fuel fills)
We also bought a KOA as most campgrounds seem to be members. It's only 10%.
Both memberships will pay for themselves with only a few nights use.
Both have iPad/iPhone apps which are nice for locating campgrounds (I like the PPA the best) and I think you can use both without a membership.
Oops! I said KOA when it's a Good Sam membership we have (Life lesson: don't get old!).

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Site Team

Good Sam parks also give a 10% discount. Many parks will give you a discount for most any thing if you ask. AARP, AAA, Veteran, etc.

Never hurts to ask.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #8

We used to do all these parks, but then my mom challenged me to compare the prices and facilities at the state parks which she uses all the time.
We now do almost exclusively state parks, as it does save us a lot.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywendolyn View Post
We used to do all these parks, but then my mom challenged me to compare the prices and facilities at the state parks which she uses all the time.
We now do almost exclusively state parks, as it does save us a lot.
Many Sp's will give a discount if you are a senior or a veteran in the US. Some limit it to residents but it does not hurt to ask.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #10

Thanks, looking forward to the journey!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #11

Campground [Resort type] memberships

Quote:
Regards,
We invested in a private resort many years ago- It is affiliated with Camp Coast to Coast- We pay a yearly fee of $70.00 or so to CCC and then pay approximately $10.00 per night at affiliated resorts- We feel our dues are paid for in 3 or 4 nights at a member cg [resort] and we never feel unsafe or unhappy with the facility- Most member cgs have swimming pools, game rooms and activities- There are other similar organizations that offer their own agendas- You can receive 3 nights at what will be your "home park" free- You will receive an introduction to the facility and be offered an opportunity to invest and become a member- It has worked well for us- Check it out for yourself and see- At least you will have 3 nights free camping- JMHO- Don
Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #12

Would you know what we could expect to be the investment cost now?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Would you know what we could expect to be the investment cost now?
In the current economy, some resorts have very reasonable dues- We were offered a membership recently at a resort we stay at frequently for less than $1k- We passed because we already have access to that chain of resorts- When we first joined, we paid $500.00 and pay no annual dues to our home park but we pay for each night's stay- Take your time, check out resorts more than 150 miles from your home- That way, you can stay at resorts closer to your home without restrictions- If I can be of further assistance, send me a PM- JMHO- DD
Old 04-01-2012, 06:45 AM   #14

I find Coast to Coast works best for me.
Randy
2012 Dodge 3500
US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population
rthibodaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #15

We have a 1000 trails/Naco membership. About 500 dollars a year for dues. They keep changing the rules on us. They lease out half the park system to annual sites which leaves the less attractive sites to the rest of the members. The money they generate doesnt go to improving the parks in the system that we regularly go to. Rather disappointed. We get our money's worth each year but until we find something better it will do.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
We have a 1000 trails/Naco membership. About 500 dollars a year for dues. They keep changing the rules on us. They lease out half the park system to annual sites which leaves the less attractive sites to the rest of the members. The money they generate doesnt go to improving the parks in the system that we regularly go to. Rather disappointed. We get our money's worth each year but until we find something better it will do.
My parents have a 1000 trails membership they pay about $300 a year. They are in there 80s and don't travel anymore so they haven't used it for a few years. I payed the dues till the end of 2012 figuring I would have it transferred to me. I received the paper work for the transfer on the first of March and they wanted to start my year on March 31 so the membership for the rest of the year was money gone. Also a $250 transfer fee and $550 a year dues. If we were full timers this would be a good deal, maybe, but with my wife working and a 13 year old I'm not sure its worth it. I do have till the end of the year to decide sense its payed up till the end of the year.