Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #1

Carpet issues

Hi all. I am a new poster here but I didn't see anything specific on this particular issue (could be that I just missed it).

At any rate, my husband and I have a 2000 Jayco Designer (3110) with three tip outs. We did some extensive remodeling and have returned it to like new condition - with the exception of the carpet. Seems the former owner decided to abandon the RV and leave food in the fridge. Long story short, the carpet is toast! Does anyone have any experience with re-carpeting the tip outs. Option two, also known as the backup plan, would be to tear out all the carpet and put in a linoleum floor (not sure how this works with tip outs). Thoughts? Suggestions?
Guinness2_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2_0 View Post
Hi all. I am a new poster here but I didn't see anything specific on this particular issue (could be that I just missed it).

At any rate, my husband and I have a 2000 Jayco Designer (3110) with three tip outs. We did some extensive remodeling and have returned it to like new condition - with the exception of the carpet. Seems the former owner decided to abandon the RV and leave food in the fridge. Long story short, the carpet is toast! Does anyone have any experience with re-carpeting the tip outs. Option two, also known as the backup plan, would be to tear out all the carpet and put in a linoleum floor (not sure how this works with tip outs). Thoughts? Suggestions?
Is it tipouts or slides in your 5th wheel? there is a difference in the way the carpet is installed. I know of some who have put carpet on the slides and laminate flooring on the rest in living and kitchen areas. With slideouts (not tipouts) you have to be careful that whatever flooring you use is not to thick or the slide will mess it up when you retract the slide. Same with laminate and lino if not done right the slide can scratch it when retracted.
Mel
https://www.rvbloggersonline.blogspot.com
MHbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #3

I have a 2001 Designer and have also considered replacing the carpet. Ours is just faded from the blinds not being closed in the winter months. The dealer wanted a rediculous amount of money to do it so if and when it happens I will do it myself. The slide out doesn't look like it will be to difficult but where it meets when opened, might be a challenge. Perhaps I'll just update the camper and avoid the hassel. Good luck
Myles6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:01 AM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles6543 View Post
I have a 2001 Designer and have also considered replacing the carpet. Ours is just faded from the blinds not being closed in the winter months. The dealer wanted a rediculous amount of money to do it so if and when it happens I will do it myself. The slide out doesn't look like it will be to difficult but where it meets when opened, might be a challenge. Perhaps I'll just update the camper and avoid the hassel. Good luck
When the slide is out you have to have the carpet about 4 inches overlap and you need to have that part of the carpet with some sort of binding to keep it from unraveling. I think that is the hardest part. I had to take mine to a carpet store and had them put some binding on the edge that overlapped. I used tackless and a stapler to afix it to the floor.
Mel
Old 03-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHbell View Post
Is it tipouts or slides in your 5th wheel? there is a difference in the way the carpet is installed. I know of some who have put carpet on the slides and laminate flooring on the rest in living and kitchen areas. With slideouts (not tipouts) you have to be careful that whatever flooring you use is not to thick or the slide will mess it up when you retract the slide. Same with laminate and lino if not done right the slide can scratch it when retracted.
Mel
Yes, sorry, they are slides. Never thought about carpeting the slides and putting lino in the rest. That's not a bad idea as the area in the slides don't get much wear and tear. The thickness is definitely something we have worried about. Part of our flooring (in the entryway and kitchen) is some type of wooden flooring. It sits too high and is scratched by one of the slides. We will be replacing that as well.

Thanks to all for the advice...it is much appreciated. We are working hard to keep costs down and I find all of your information useful.
Guinness2_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2_0 View Post
Yes, sorry, they are slides. Never thought about carpeting the slides and putting lino in the rest. That's not a bad idea as the area in the slides don't get much wear and tear. The thickness is definitely something we have worried about. Part of our flooring (in the entryway and kitchen) is some type of wooden flooring. It sits too high and is scratched by one of the slides. We will be replacing that as well.

Thanks to all for the advice...it is much appreciated. We are working hard to keep costs down and I find all of your information useful.
There are a type of nylon flat strap that some have used to keep the slide from scratching the floor when retracted. I don't remember where I read about it, will have to see if I can find the article. Just be sure that the floor is clean and no small rocks or pebbles are on it before retracting the slide to avoid scratching the surface.
Mel
Old 03-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #7

Carpet in the slide covers the seam when the slides are out. The main part of the trailer can be done with most any thin floor covering. Tiles, linoleoum etc.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #8

We bought an 06 31bhds last spring and replaced all the carpet. I pulled the original up, keeping it all in the pieces as it was originally installed. A local carpet store took those pieces and used it for a pattern to cut the new. Instead of folding the exposed edges, we had them bound. They reccomended putting it all down with carpet staples (bought at Lowe's). The slides were not a problem at all. A few hours of work and $280 in the carpet and binding gave us a totally new updated look on the insided. Happy campers we are!
Hutashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #9

I have removed the carpet and installed laminate on our previous Montanas with slide outs. It sure is a lot cleaner and a lot less maintance. it took me a weekend and I took my time doing them. I purchased the material from Home Depot,cost me about $150 for material. Removing the old carpet was the hard part. I also purchased a slide guide kit to prevent scratching the laminate when the slide comes in and out. I just traded my Montana for a Jayco 5er and travel trailer and will be doing both of them this year.
bob
boblarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #10

That's one of the projects I would like to done next.....tear the carpet up everywhere except the bedroom and put laminate down....just gonna add it to the honey do list
grncrdbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblarkman View Post
I have removed the carpet and installed laminate on our previous Montanas with slide outs. It sure is a lot cleaner and a lot less maintance. it took me a weekend and I took my time doing them. I purchased the material from Home Depot,cost me about $150 for material. Removing the old carpet was the hard part. I also purchased a slide guide kit to prevent scratching the laminate when the slide comes in and out. I just traded my Montana for a Jayco 5er and travel trailer and will be doing both of them this year.
bob
What is a slide guide kit, and where did you get it?
Reddevil2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil2n View Post
What is a slide guide kit, and where did you get it?
https://www.etrailer.com/Living-Room...4aAoHuEALw_wcB
Old 12-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #13

With three dogs and four cats, carpet is forbidden in our household.

We ripped the carpet, (PITA) laid a 1/4" subfloor, laid vinyl snap-together floor and used an "L" shaped trim piece call Stair Nose for the corner. The stair nose was attached with construction adhesive. Short brad nails were driven through the corners to keep the whole thing from shifting on travel days. All the material was cut with hand tools.

Now the cats can barf all they want.

Angus
Attached Thumbnails
floor_Closeup.jpg   Stair_Nose.jpg  
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #14

That looks great. I have one slide that's flush to the rest of the RV floor and I'm worried about scratching it when it slides in since there's no wheels and its so close.
Reddevil2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil2n View Post
That looks great. I have one slide that's flush to the rest of the RV floor and I'm worried about scratching it when it slides in since there's no wheels and its so close.

After we ripped the carpet, we ran the slide a few times to watch its movement. Unlike the Slimrack or Schwintec slides that move in a true linear fashion, the dinette slid moves like a Disney ride; it tilts, lifts, moves and drops. We felt we could proceed and still clear everything. After the job, we found one minor scratch. I think one wire brad that I shot through the floor went too far. We will retract it half way where it is elevated a little and shove an unused floor plank underneath to bend back any protruding brad.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote