Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2016, 02:04 PM   #1

Carpet wet in basement

I have a 31RLTS 5th wheel 2007. I found wet carpet in the basement near the water heater. I am not sure if a water line connection is loose or if it is the hot water heater. Do I have to pull the hot water heater out to see the water hoses behind it? Or is there a better way to access them?

Thank you
Sjellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #2

The back of my WH can be accessed by a cut-out that's screwed on in the basement. That's the way to reach the shut-offs for winterizing. At least that's the way it is on mine.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #3

On our HT RLS, as with troutslayer, there is a small cut-out in the "wall" of the basement compartment that can be used to access the water heater by-pass valves. However, it's a bit small to do any work so you might have to take down the whole wall on that side to access the water heater. It's a pain to work on the water heater, but have done it twice in the last year to repair two valves that either broke or were leaking. Not a very large space and no fun working across your body. Hope you find your problem is just a loose fitting.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

Thank you, I was going to start by remove the hot water heater today. I am so glad I checked here first. Now I will remove the wall.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
Site Team

It's pretty common for the HOT and COLD pipes to loosen up over time at the fitting that goes in the tank. Verify that it is a minor problem before tearing in to it. Could be just some pipe dope or teflon tape could fix it right up.

Hoping that is all it is.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:04 AM   #6

Hi,
I flushed the tank and inspected behind the water heater. I found two obvious things, first the drain plug was leaking - easy fix using pluming tape. Second perhaps not so easy - pressure valve has a slow trickle, not drip but trickle.

Is this hard to replace?

Also when flushing a lot of large deposits came out with this in mind would it be a better idea to replace the pressure release valve or replace whole unit?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjellington View Post
Hi,
I flushed the tank and inspected behind the water heater. I found two obvious things, first the drain plug was leaking - easy fix using pluming tape. Second perhaps not so easy - pressure valve has a slow trickle, not drip but trickle.

Is this hard to replace?

Also when flushing a lot of large deposits came out with this in mind would it be a better idea to replace the pressure release valve or replace whole unit?

Thanks
The pressure relief valve just threads into the tank, and isn't hard to replace. Being nine years old, you may want to soak the threads with PB Blaster a few times, to loosen up any rust. Another trick is to (with the heater off, water cold, and very low water pressure) lift the lever and let it snap back closed a few times. That may loosen any debris stuck on the valve seat. Either way, it sounds like the tank needs a good flushing out so it doesn't keep happening.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote