Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #21

What I used to do when servicing the bearings on our old hybrid was I lowered the tongue as low as it could go. This would lift the back do the trailer up. I would then put an axle stand under the frame as close to the wheels as I could, then raise the tongue up. As it was rising, the trailer would rest on the stand and that side of the trailer would end up rising off the ground. Another axle stand in front of the wheels makes it a bit safer. I only did one side at a time, but it was
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
What I used to do when servicing the bearings on our old hybrid was I lowered the tongue as low as it could go. This would lift the back do the trailer up. I would then put an axle stand under the frame as close to the wheels as I could, then raise the tongue up. As it was rising, the trailer would rest on the stand and that side of the trailer would end up rising off the ground. Another axle stand in front of the wheels makes it a bit safer. I only did one side at a time, but it was
I bet something like that could work for me. Thanks!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #23

Never thought of lowering the tongue jack and putting stands in the back first. I need to do all 4 next year to get new tires... I would think the tongue jack would lift and hold the weight just fine. I would put two more stands under the front of the frame at the spring perches as well. Maybe I'll make a day of it and check brakes, pack bearings, replace bushings, and replace tires... actually, that sounds more like a weekend!

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:20 PM   #24

After reading some of the replies here, this is my crazy thinking concerning changing flat on a tandem axle! Lol

Have a shorter 2x8 (10 or 12) that you drive the good tire up on, then place a bottle jack under the spring mount. Not near as much stress as the "trailer aid", but the 2x gives you a little more height to raise the jack without stressing the "flat axle" to change the tire.

As for jacking all 4 tires off the ground, I have seen Discount Tire place a jack under the center equalizer (doesn't mean it's the right way!!!). I have also seen them use 2 floor jacks on the same side, just in front and just behind the tires. I know not many have 2 floor jacks which makes it tough. Maybe borrow one from a neighbor?

As for lowering the tongue, then placing the jack stands behind the rear tires, my only concern would be the concentrated stress on the frame at that point, not spread out like the spring mounts are. Paranoid??? Definitely better than someone lowering the tongue, then lowering the rear scissor jacks down, then raising the tongue back up. That would be all kinds of bad!!!!

Keep posting the methods and ideas you have!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:05 PM   #25

Yeah, that's what I thought too, when I first started doing it. But I figured if I put the axle stand as close to the spring mount behind the wheels as possible, and then another one in the front, then the weight is spread out in two different places, more-or-less the way it was designed. And the tongue jack can handle the weight as well. Our old hybrid weighed somewhere around 4,400 lbs and came with a 2,000 lb manual jack. And it still did the job easily.

(P.S. I apologize for the my first post that was cut off. I was using my phone and my typing is a bit sloppy on the tiny keyboard.)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 10-27-2015, 11:47 PM   #26

I have the trailer aid. recommended by a friend who owns a RV repair shop
Old 10-28-2015, 07:00 AM   #27

North,

It s just the process of getting the trailer "up" than concerns me. Once it is up with the tongue jack and a second set of jack stands are under the frame, it should be good. As I said, maybe I am just a little paranoid, or over thinking it.

Now with that said, a lighter trailer may very well be fine doing it that way. Maybe there is a "cut off point" for a heavier trailer like we have???

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
North,

It s just the process of getting the trailer "up" than concerns me. Once it is up with the tongue jack and a second set of jack stands are under the frame, it should be good. As I said, maybe I am just a little paranoid, or over thinking it.

Now with that said, a lighter trailer may very well be fine doing it that way. Maybe there is a "cut off point" for a heavier trailer like we have???
I just don't think it can be reasonably avoided. It would be virtually impossible (for this shade tree mechanic anyway) to jack the trailer at 4 points evenly all at once. I'm thinking if you place the second set of stands in front of the front axle and let the tongue down (like was mentioned before, this is basically how the frame is suspended on the springs anyway) and keep some weight on the tongue jack, that's about as good as I can get. I'll probably drop the stab jacks too once the frame is on 4 stands just for that "belt & suspenders" effect. Try to get all the weight spread throughout the entire frame... My trailer is 33' and about 7400 lbs "empty" (not loaded for a trip and no water), so frame flex becomes a real issue for me I think.

In my case, the rig could be sitting like this for a few hours. I'll have to take all 4 wheels with old tires mounted, and 4 new tires to the tire shop to have the new ones mounted and balanced and then reinstall everything and let it all back down nice and easy.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-28-2015, 09:23 AM   #29

I'll be swapping tires this week to S637's. My plan is to jack under the spring pads with my two floor jacks high enough to get the wheels off. I'll take the front two up to get changed and then after they're on I'll do the rear two. I also considered using the spare tire so that I can still do two tires at a time but only have one axle end on the jack during the tire mounting time.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
I'll be swapping tires this week to S637's. My plan is to jack under the spring pads with my two floor jacks high enough to get the wheels off. I'll take the front two up to get changed and then after they're on I'll do the rear two. I also considered using the spare tire so that I can still do two tires at a time but only have one axle end on the jack during the tire mounting time.
Not a half bad idea IMO. I do have 2 jacks I could use. And albeit this would create two trips to the tire shop, it might just be enough easier to justify it... Decisions...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #31

That's pretty much the same method I did when I had to replace the leaf springs on our old pop-up. It involved removing the entire axle, since I was also upgrading them after one broke. I no longer have the photos, but they show the trailer sitting on four stands and the tongue jack, with no axle in sight. You just need to raise it up enough, an inch or so, to be able to get the wheels off.

I was thinking of this method when I replaced the tires on our old hybrid, but I would have to do one side at a time. I said the heck with it and just took the trailer in to the tire shop, and let them worry about raising it up. They left it hooked up to the truck and lifted the trailer with a floor jack under the frame.
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Old 10-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
That's how I do my wheel bearings. One axle at a time.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #33

Just finished up swapping the tires on my trailer from BlowMax's to S637's. Took me two hours in total but the tire shop is only about 5min up the road. Had to do one at a time as I needed the truck to haul the wheel/tires.

I used a bottle jack under the spring perch with a block of LVL and a steel plate on top of the jack. Worked fine, just left it on the jack while I had the tires swapped and then put the wheel back on and moved to the next one.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #34

Why don't you guys just take your trailer to the tire shop and have them take care of it? That's what I have done in the past and will do in the future.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
Why don't you guys just take your trailer to the tire shop and have them take care of it? That's what I have done in the past and will do in the future.
That's fine for getting new tires, but what about when you have a flat? I'm not going to sit by the side of the road for forever waiting for someone to come and fix my tire. I can change one out in 15 mins.
When I get new tires I definitely will take it somewhere.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Don't know about your area, but around here, shops charge around $125/hr to take the wheels/tires off a trailer and then do the mounting/balancing. If I take them off the trailer and carry them in, it is $10 each mounting/balancing... quite frankly, they don't want to deal with a big trailer tying up their limited space - may just be because this is a metropolitan area though...

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
Don't know about your area, but around here, shops charge around $125/hr to take the wheels/tires off a trailer and then do the mounting/balancing. If I take them off the trailer and carry them in, it is $10 each mounting/balancing... quite frankly, they don't want to deal with a big trailer tying up their limited space - may just be because this is a metropolitan area though...
Same here. Very few of the tire shops around can accommodate a trailer as big as mine (and I don't live in the city), and I don't want to limit my options. I don't know about the extra cost, but I can't imagine Wal-Mart would charge the same $ per tire if they have to go out in the lot and jack up my trailer. Same for anyone else, I would expect to have to pay for that service, and I VERY RARELY will pay for something I'm perfectly able to do my self. Also, I don't want to take the risk of them jacking the trailer wrong, or torquing the lugs wrong, etc because they were in a hurry to get to the 12 or 14 cars behind me in line that day. If I take my time and pay attention, I'll know it was all done right.

I may also install a wet-bolt kit while I have the wheels/tires off, so there's that to consider too...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #38

Glad I don't have that issue here in Phoenix. I have never had anyone say that it was going to be more because it is on a trailer. I always take mine in when getting all new tires. For one at a time on the road, the other replies work, I was only wondering about the all tires responses.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Camper Bob; "Also, I don't want to take the risk of them jacking the trailer wrong, or torqueing the lugs wrong, etc because they were in a hurry to get to the 12 or 14 cars behind me in line that day."

That's my biggest concern too, that's why I always do any repairs myself.
A suspension wet bolt kit is my project for next spring. I got the kit already in my workshop.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:54 PM   #40

Quote:
Glad I don't have that issue here in Phoenix. I have never had anyone say that it was going to be more because it is on a trailer. I always take mine in when getting all new tires. For one at a time on the road, the other replies work, I was only wondering about the all tires responses.
Perhaps I should clarify; I purchased the tires from the Internet, and only need the tire shop to mount them on the rims and install metal valve stems. If I purchased the tires there, I would agree with you that it shouldn't matter what vehicle the tires are on. But since I didn't buy the tires there, I would expect them to charge me for the labor to get the wheels on and off the trailer. I don't really mind it anyway...

Sorry I kind of threw the thread off track some, but I thought my question was closely related enough...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV