Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
5th Wheel

I moved up from a 9,000 TT to a 15,000 365 BHS fifth wheel. I love my fifth wheel. I get better mileage pulling my fifth wheel than my TT. I just bought a used 2005 Dodge 3500 Dually and it is totally different pull! I should have bought a dually when I bought my fifth wheel 3 years ago. You have to watch out for low trees in the parks, you can hit the side of the roof very easy. Camping in a fifth wheel is so nice and I love the front bedroom.

2010 365 BHS
2005 Dodge 3500 Dually

taylorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Site Team
I get a little better fuel economy with the 351RLTS. 38 1/2 ft vs my old Sunnybrook, 31'.

I think it is due to the different aerodynamics of the front cap. They changed it in 2012.

2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
Hooking up and unhooking a 5th in my opinion is far easier. There's no weight distribution bars to worry about, no snap up brackets, and for many the hitch is viewable from the back window making hooking up a breeze. Once hooked up, the maneuvering is a little different than a TT, but it's easy to get used to.

Pulling a 5th down the road is an effortless experience and where 5th wheels really excel. It is easy to forget they are back there and the stability is really nice.

Once you get to your destination, unhooking is simple too. Drop the tail gate disconnect electrical connector, lower the landing gear, pull the pin and pull out. There is no raising of the hitch to make the snapup brackets easier to unsnap, no weight bars to store, just an overall better experience.

For the downside.... you lose the bed for holding cargo. I had a full cap on the bed of the truck and put the bikes in there along with other things. With the 5th wheel, that is all lost.

Assuming that your truck can handle a 5th wheel, I would highly recommend one and having a short bed, consider an automatic sliding hitch or a Reese Revolution pin to keep the trailer from hitting the cab when turning.
Karl - Southeast, NY
2011 Jayco Super Lite 30.5 BHLT
2003 Ford F250 Lariat 6.0 PowerStroke Turbo Diesel My mods Bathroom Door Water Filter TV mount Cork Board
Streamline your A/C
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
We have had several TTs of different sizes, and now have our first 5er. What a difference ! We should have gone that route years ago. Everything is easier and more stable, and we wouldn't go back for anything. Fuel mileage is actually better with the 5er due probably to the fact that air is forced over the rounded front cap instead of being dammed up by the truck's tailgate. The only downside, temporarily, is getting used to the fact that you must make wider turns because the 5er cuts the corner. I got used to that after about 3 trips, and now automatically make the wider turns w/o thinking about it. If you TT can handle the 5er, go for it - you won't regret it.
2003 Ford F-350 V-10 Crew Cab 4WD Long Bed
2004 Jayco Designer Medallion 29 RLTS 5th wheel
Bill, Gayle, and Mindi (dachshund)
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
Originally Posted by rdream View Post
We have a 2012 White Hawk 27 DSRL TT that we pull with a Nissan Titan. The PU pulls the TT very well but does like gas. 9.5 mpg. We have had the TT for one year and took a three month trip from Florida to Maine and do love the TT. However we noted a lot of 5th wheels on our trip and the ease of backing in and unhooking. We are now thinking of trading in our TT for a Jayco Eagle HT 26.5 with rear living. Anyone out their have one or have any thoughts for us on making the move to a 5th wheel as we are leaving for a trip from Florida to the NE over six months in April of 2013.
Make sure you get all the statistics to properly load your TV. I have had both TT & fiver and I can absolutely say the fiver is much more fun to tow. If you get the right TV and fiver together you won't know it's behind you until you hit a hill. I wouldnt go back to a TT.

TnHiker & Nana
2010 Jayco Eagle Superlite 30.5 DBSA
2002 F350, CC/LB, DRW
jhaun6 is offline   Reply With Quote