Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #1

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
Chassis Differences

I was at the dealership today and went out in the lot to look at some roofs, I'm still working on getting Jayco to step up on my roof problem. Any way, I wanted to find a trailer with the slide out tray on it and did not see one. What surprise me however, the chassis on the Pinnacle appeared to be the same exact I-Beams that are on our super-lite. Is this so? I thought the top-of -the-line units would surely have a more stout chassis. Had the same mor-ryde suspension same wheels and tires as well.

Steve
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead View Post
I was at the dealership today and went out in the lot to look at some roofs, I'm still working on getting Jayco to step up on my roof problem. Any way, I wanted to find a trailer with the slide out tray on it and did not see one. What surprise me however, the chassis on the Pinnacle appeared to be the same exact I-Beams that are on our super-lite. Is this so? I thought the top-of -the-line units would surely have a more stout chassis. Had the same mor-ryde suspension same wheels and tires as well.

Steve
Did you measure the thickness of the metal in the I-beams?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Adding to the comment on the I-beam thickness, there may also be some differences with the chassis cross members to account for the heavier weight of the Pinnacle.

Who knows, maybe Jayco is using the stout Pinnacle chassis on the Eagle Super-Lite FW as well

Bob

ps: Hope something works to your favor on your roof issue.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Adding to the comment on the I-beam thickness, there may also be some differences with the chassis cross members to account for the heavier weight of the Pinnacle.

Who knows, maybe Jayco is using the stout Pinnacle chassis on the Eagle Super-Lite FW as well

Bob

ps: Hope something works to your favor on your roof issue.
I don't know how tall the I beam was but the thickness of the steel and width of the channel on the bottom of the frame appeared to be identical. I spent several hours under my trailer when I was installing the Steadyfast Stablizers.

I would guess that there must be more gusseting and cross members due to the additional weight that must be supported on the Pinnacle. Nice to know that my trailer shares some of the features of the top of the line Pinnacle.

Thanks Bob, for the supportive comments regarding my roof situation.

Steve
Old 02-20-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.....Thanks Bob, for the supportive comments regarding my roof situation. Steve
Your welcome....

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #6

I asked the same question to Jayco,They use the same Pinnacle Frame and Flooring Quality on the Eagle And the super-lite,The only differance is in the insalation and underbelly covering.
Amy's Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy's Husband View Post
I asked the same question to Jayco,They use the same Pinnacle Frame and Flooring Quality on the Eagle And the super-lite,The only differance is in the insalation and underbelly covering.
This is not entirely correct, according to Jayco's web site, the Eagle and Pinnacle have 5/8" tongue and groove flooring with R22 in the Pinnacle and R24 in the Eagle (this makes no sense to me) and the Superlite has a laminated sandwich of 3/8" plywood with a couple inches (possibly 3") of styrofoam and luan on the bottom giving an R9 insulation value. If you get the Glacier package on the Superlite you get an extra layer of R15 "reflective foil" in the floor giving the Superlite an R24 value. There is a huge difference in the construction of the Superlite underpinnings.

(Personally I think the "Glacier Package means it gets cold as a glacier inside in cold weather. This I know from experience).
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #8

I'll let you know about the Glacier package here one of these days. Our new SuperLite HT has that package and, hopefully, we will be using it after April 15. I'll let you know how it works, if I survive the cold weather. Two days ago when I got up it was 2 below and this morning it was 45 above. What a wonderful thing it is to be living in Wyoming.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #9

Wasn't the Glacier package for the Super-Lite the "standard" package in 2011? I could be wrong, but I thought that my 2011 has R24?
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #10

I have no idea whether it was standard in a 2011. Ours is a 2012 and the Glacier package is listed as a $137 option, I think. Maybe they just moved things around on the pricing.
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #11

Maybe not, I found the brochure and it clearly shows R7 sidewalls and R9 floor, no Glacier option either.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #12

Quote:
This is not entirely correct, according to Jayco's web site, the Eagle and Pinnacle have 5/8" tongue and groove flooring with R22 in the Pinnacle and R24 in the Eagle (this makes no sense to me) and the Superlite has a laminated sandwich of 3/8" plywood with a couple inches (possibly 3") of styrofoam and luan on the bottom giving an R9 insulation value. If you get the Glacier package on the Superlite you get an extra layer of R15 "reflective foil" in the floor giving the Superlite an R24 value. There is a huge difference in the construction of the Superlite underpinnings.

(Personally I think the "Glacier Package means it gets cold as a glacier inside in cold weather. This I know from experience).
Sounds like you found out more than I could thanks! I was just going on what Jayco told me when I called and asked if there was any differance I also thought they looked like the same frame.
Amy's Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #13

Quote:

According to the Jayco web site the 2012 Super Lite FW uses 5/8" T & G plywood with 2" x 3" joists on 16" centers, just like it's big brothers. The Super Lite HT uses the 3/8" sandwich type floor. My 2010 Super Lite FW has sandwich type construction and according to the web site 2011 also used this type of floor. I guess Jayco found reason to change the construction on the Super Lite Series.
The Way Life Should Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Way Life Should Be View Post
According to the Jayco web site the 2012 Super Lite FW uses 5/8" T & G plywood with 2" x 3" joists on 16" centers, just like it's big brothers. The Super Lite HT uses the 3/8" sandwich type floor. My 2010 Super Lite FW has sandwich type construction and according to the web site 2011 also used this type of floor. I guess Jayco found reason to change the construction on the Super Lite Series.
Well this is copied from the Jayco web site on the SuperLite construction page:

FLOOR CONSTRUCTION

Vacuum-bonded laminated layers: Backed by computer monitoring and constant quality control checks, Jayco prides itself in a solid foundation
Bead-foam insulation: Maintains interior temperatures with an R-9 insulation value
Enclosed and heated underbelly: Increases unit’s aerodynamics while protecting undertanks

As well as having been able to see the floor construction of my trailer, I can tell you that at least the upper floor of the bedroom and bathroom is a sandwich of Luan/Styrofoam/Plywood 3/8" thick. Then the vinyl or carpet and pad.

Steve
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
Site Team

This question came up on the TT forum regarding flooring type in the Eagle Superlite. Perhaps they made a mid year change? http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=5919
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:13 AM   #16

Crabman is probably correct, about the mid-year change. Page 9 of the 2012 brochure currently on the web site shows.

FLOOR CONSTRUCTION:
4- A solid foundation: Laminated with welded tubular aluminum frame and 3/8" Weyerhaeuser decking with a total R-value of 10 ( HT )

5- Durable construction: 5/8" tongue and groove plywood with 2" x 3" floor joists on 16" centers with a total R-value of 10 ( SL TT and SL FW )

6- Enclosed and heated underbelly increases units aerodynamics while protecting the undercarriage

I guess the only sure method would be to look at one in stock or get it in writing from the dealer before ordering, if this is important to you.

My brother and I both own 2010 SL FW which are great units. His trailer and mine have the sandwich type floor construction and we each have squeaks in the floors. I do not know if this is characteristic or just our trailers

Dwight
6 more weeks until the first trip
The Way Life Should Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
This question came up on the TT forum regarding flooring type in the Eagle Superlite. Perhaps they made a mid year change? http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=5919
Well they did make a lot of mid-year changes maybe this is one of them. We still would have bought an early 2012 due to the interior changes they made that the DW did not like.

Steve