Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #1

cleaning tank sensors

Does anyone have a good method or formula for cleaning sensors..I have one of those spinng flush hoses and that doesn not work on my RV..I have a Jayco 351RLTS and the grey tank sensors are not working very good either...I'm thinking maybe 5 gallons of water and 1 gallon of vinegar might work well...I've tried baking soda which I was told would work..
fedrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #2

Doesn't always work, but I have had success with dumping about 20lbs of ice down the drains and toliet just as I am ready to leave. The travel motions help to break things loose.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #3

I use a concoction dubbed "sewer juice". Made in a gallon jug from 8oz fabric softener, 8oz PineSol, 8oz ammonia, and 1 cup baking soda. Mix together, then fill rest of jug with water. Pour 1 cup down each drain, then the rest down the toilet. Add 20lb ice to toilet just before leaving for the CG, and dump when you get to site. Keeps my tanks very clean, no odors ever, and sensors work just fine.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

I have used Calgon water softener powder (not bath oil beads). Hard to find in some parts of the country, but it seemed to work well and also took care or odors.
Scott 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #5

Cleaning RV Sensors

Reading about RV sewage holding tanks I find many sites that warn about potential damage from HOME brewed concoctions for holding tanks. They also warn that you have to use chemicals that will enhance bacterial growth rather than kill it as well as lubricate the valves and seals. It's difficult to find the perfect solution but let's face it, if you make your own it probably won't be as good as the products that companies have spent thousands of dollars on research to develop it.
Another cause of sewer odors is when people stay for a while at a camp site and leave the gray sewer valve open. When other campers on the sewer line do a dump, the odor can travel into your gray tank and out your roof vent leaving you thinking your trailer stinks.
A major cause for odors is trying to skimp on flush water and ending up with a lot of sewage and very little flush water. Apparently after dumping and rinsing, you should add a few gallons of water to your holding tanks with the waste water chemical.
Many people notice a horrible smell and think it's the black water tank but apparently the gray water tank can smell as bad. It deserves a regular chemical treatment as well.
There are some treatments that claim to clean the sensors such as "RV-BOSS™"
Old 06-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

I would agree with most of the things HappyJack stated. Especially the part about encouraging the bacteria growth. I have experienced odor issues a few times. They have always been after about the third trip of the season. I think that is when it warms up outside and we get a rapid bacteria growth/boom. Once that happens my tanks do not make any odor. I never add anything that will kill the bacteria or potentially damage the sensors (ie an acid such as vinegar or bleach). I like pinsol and liquid fabric softener. I actually only add official toilet chemicals half of the time. When I do it is at home right before a trip. I to add a few gallons of water to the black tank after dumping along with my additive of choice. We also do not place paper down the toilet which I think helps a lot too. I fully trust my tank sensors.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #7

I too tend to agree with Happy Jack. Though I've heard some very good things about home-made black tank cleaners and I know some folks who have used them for years without any issues at all, I usually use Thetford's Aqua Kem and the ice method. That and making use of the black tank flush with a clear sewer elbow. Wonder what Mark Polk thinks about holding tanks?

[video=youtube;Jqe1DpdwtJA]

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #8

Maybe the reason that my Home brewed concoction has worked so well for me is that none of the ingredients kill the good bacteria . . . . just my thoughts.
Retired at last !

Old 06-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #9

I will say that tinlizzie's "sewer juice" seems to be a lot less expensive than the Aqua-Kem I'd been using. I'm thinking I'll give it a try, ya convinced me!

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #10

I think I have tried most every suggestion I have ever read to clean black tank sensors. None of them worked for me so I gave up a long time ago. I don't need the sensors anyway.

I now worry about other things, when I'm worrying at all.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
I think I have tried most every suggestion I have ever read to clean black tank sensors. None of them worked for me so I gave up a long time ago. I don't need the sensors anyway.

I now worry about other things, when I'm worrying at all.
Ditto! Sometimes they're clean and work, then sometimes not. That's just the way it is (for me)

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #12

After rinsing out my tanks at the campsite. I have been using a cup of Simple Green concentrate in each of my Black and Gray tanks and then add 5 gallons of water and then drive home. There is a dump station on the highway prior to my house that I perform the last rinse. Been doing this for 7 years and have not had any issues. Nice thing is that Simple Green is biodegradable and it leaves the tanks dare I say smelling decent.
mlumia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #13

Who cares if my black tank " smells Decent"
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #14

Well, if your black tank smells bad, chances are, sooner or later, your camper will smell bad, too. I speak from experience, back when all I used was the expensive chemical stuff sold in RV stores, and it didn't work worth a squat. Since using my "sewer juice" and ice - no further problems. If I've damaged anything by using the homemade mixture, it sure hasn't shown up yet after 3 years or so.
Retired at last !

Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad99ram View Post
Who cares if my black tank " smells Decent"
I do...I know, call me crazy!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #16

Ok this may sound like a dumb question but are there traps for the sinks and showers? And if so how do ya'll do the ice trick for the gray tank. I've never had a grey tank smell until I got this trailer.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #17

Good question. I, too, have never had a bad smell from either of the gray tanks. And there are traps for both sinks and the shower. But I do pour about a cup full of "sewer juice" down the kitchen and bathroom sinks every time I pour it down the toilet. Don't think you really need to have ice down the sinks, as there should be no solids to break up in the gray tanks - everything should be liquid. Therefore your problem might be bacteria, and will have to be treated chemically to get rid of the odor. JMHO
Retired at last !

Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #18

I agree with Edatlanta.
hollis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #19

I have been successful in using Dawn dishwashing liquid. I add water to the black tank before leaving campsite and a few squirts of Dawn. It agitates on way to dump station. After dumping, I put a little water back in the black tank with a couple drops of Dawn. Have used that method for 3 seasons and have never had any issue with odor.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #20

Last week my sensors in the black tank were readin 3/4 after I dumped. I have a tank tornado installed and use it regularly. I also utilize a clear elbow at the connection to the trailer. You would be suprised what comes out when rinsing. Anyway, after rinsing the tank the sensors still showed 3/4 full. I decided to use the tank tornado to fill the black tank completely. This added enough water to have whatever was on the sensors to float off along with the agitation from the tank tornado. The sensors were reading properly after the 1st rinse but I did a second rinse just for the heck of it.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote