Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2015, 12:43 AM   #1

Cold weather traveling

When traveling on the road in freezing weather do you leave your furnace on to keep things from freezing? I am looking at travel in weather that may reach single digits and I want to keep things from freezing.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:16 AM   #2

I use my rv year round. I have traveled in freezing (and below freezing) weather. However, when we stop for the night or any length of stay, we use our furnace and electric fireplace. I do not have the furnace on while on the road.
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:05 AM   #3

Here's a discussion on driving with the furnace running on FMCA. Many seen to do it.

Running the Furnace While On The Road - Systems and appliances - FMCA Motorhome Forums
CKinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
When traveling on the road in freezing weather do you leave your furnace on to keep things from freezing? I am looking at travel in weather that may reach single digits and I want to keep things from freezing.
On a 5er, I'm not sure it would do much good (or if the furnace would ever turn off). I suspect all the heat would be sucked out when going 60 plus mph while driving in single digit weather. I am also always concerned about the pipes in the basement area. Since I carry an air compressor with me, my plan has always been to blow out the lines before taking off on a sub-freezing day. Not fun...just part of RVing

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:11 AM   #5

Single digits is asking a lot of a heating system. I run ours in the winter on a regular basis. Always leave the heat on when traveling. But our 5th wheel doesn't have forced air going to the tanks. The only heat the tanks and lines under the floor get is thru the duct work which is convection heat. Ive traveled in the low 20's without an issue. But single digits would make me nervous to say the least.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #6

Thanks for the input from all. I found some blogs from full timers from Canada that travel in some really cold weather with their furnace running. Some great pictures of a Jayco Pinnacle covered in snow and the owners state they stay toasty warm inside without any freeze ups. As a point of information for those of you that may also travel in the cold it was advised to use a portable generator in the bed of the truck to keep the batteries on board charged if you do some extended traveling. Also travel with a full fresh water tank as it is difficult to find water from a spigot.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote