Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

Cover or not to Cover that is the question!

I store my unit in S Florida, have been for the past 8 years. Use the Goldline cover. Always have the unit wash and wax prior. I'm usually one of the few with a cover intact when I return. So far when I return the unit is usually just as I left it. Nice and clean like it was just washed and wash. No issues either. A guy I bumped into today said if you cover it all your warranties will be void. I find this hard to believe. When I arrived this year some had mold and mildew issues, bee hive problems etc.. I went to the storage lot today and many of the units are pretty burnt up from the sun, decals, awning, roofs, paint etc....... So any input would be appreciated.....

P.S. The only covers I recommend is goldline (5 year warranty). They back the warranty if it degrades or Sunbrella (if you can afford it. 6years).
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #2

I have never heard that covering up your rig will void the warranty. You've already proven most pundits wrong about keeping a cover on. After 8 years of caring and covering your rig, and it's still shines like it's new, says a lot about your meticulousness of your investment. You have also helped me decided on getting a cover for our rig as well. With proper waxing and covering, I want our rig to look like new after 8 years! Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadester View Post
I store my unit in S Florida, have been for the past 8 years. Use the Goldline cover. Always have the unit wash and wax prior. I'm usually one of the few with a cover intact when I return. So far when I return the unit is usually just as I left it. Nice and clean like it was just washed and wash. No issues either. A guy I bumped into today said if you cover it all your warranties will be void. I find this hard to believe. When I arrived this year some had mold and mildew issues, bee hive problems etc.. I went to the storage lot today and many of the units are pretty burnt up from the sun, decals, awning, roofs, paint etc....... So any input would be appreciated.....
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:27 PM   #3
Site Team

''Do you cover your RV" poll and discussion below. Mixed reviews on this one, some swear by their covers and some swear at them!

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oll-15377.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #4

Be very careful if your unit is under warranty! A friend in Florida covered his new class C for the summer, and the paint developed bubbles in several places. The manufacturer refused to honor the warranty when they found out that the unit had been covered.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #5

Can not believe that!!!

Cover it up.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #6

I covered my 2nd 5er for the four years that I had it because the previous one developed blisters and fading on the graphics from sitting out in the weather in the high desert of central Oregon.
With the cover I avoided the sun damage as well as keeping it clean.
Quality of the cover is very important, however. The guys who use blue or gray tarps are just looking for trouble. The cover has to be breathable and also have vents to allow heat and moisture to escape.
Interesting that a MFG may void the warranty....I'll ask my dealer when I pick up my new 5er next week....cuz I plan to invest in a new cover for this one.
thanks for the heads up!
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #7

That's what I heard from the dealer. Cover.. no warranty. It does depend on the construction of the cover..is it breathable.. Your best defense is pictures.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #8

What concerns me the most is this is my first 5th wheel. I have had a class A the past 8 years. The 5th wheels lower trim is just rolled tin. No strength at all. I'm concerned a good wind may cause some damage to that area. I did have have 6 angle iron extended arm fabricated for 3 extra over the top straps to keep the wind from filling the cover. The class A lower trim was strong enough where you could just wrap a strap around the whole body and not worry. I guess I'll be testing a new theory out this year and hopefully it works as planned. I did see two 5th wheels covered today and it appears they are not worried. They use what comes with the cover and that's it.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #9

Ill be looking into a good cover for the New England winters. But I also have a friend that bought a 2 year old camper from a dealer. The next spring it had a mold issue. When he took it in to address it, they asked if he covered it. He said no and they ended-up replacing the camper. Inside the walls mold had started and he refused to have it fix. The dealer had to replace the camper and he ended up getting one slightly bigger, because it's all they had to offer him. When he asked why they wanted to know if he covered it, they said if you did, they wouldn't have warranted it.
I'm still going to invest in a good cover for mine.

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #10

Don't cover it with a tarp, cover it with something that allows it to breath...

Either a RV cover or a carport are the best solutions. RV cover is cheaper, but more work and less durable. Carport is more expensive, but very durable, no work and super easy to use.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:05 AM   #11

Has anyone received a definitive answer by Jayco on this issue? Maybe I'll just wait until after the 2 year warranty is up then before thinking about a cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #12

Even though i have a cover, i've decided not to cover till the warranty is up in 20 months from now. The reasoning is i need a reroof due to issues and don't want anything to come up that i caused it. Just to be safe. I do want to add, i intially came across the goldline cover in the carolinas several years ago when i stopped for parts. A dealer had two units covered and since they looked so good I asked what brand they were. So it is hard to believe they would use them if it voids warranties. Next time i see it i will be taking some pictures for sure.