Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

Covering Designer in Arizona from April-January

We are snowbirds from BC who spend the winters in southern Arizona. We usually tow our very large Designer from Vancouver Island to Casa Grande and back to BC which is about 4000 miles round trip. This year we want to leave it on our lot in hot dry (usually) Arizona from April when we go home to January when we return. So the question is whether or not to cover it. I read lots of opinions pro and con about covering to protect from snow and ice, but our 5th wheel will be subjected to extreme heat, dust storms, monsoon rain and wind in the spring, summer and autumn months. We are in a gated RV park outside Casa Grande and some people live here year round; others come in late autumn for the winter. it is a mixture of park models and fifth wheels.
Opinions please for the Arizona hot season. Thank you!! Pam and John
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #2

Pam & John I have not stored or covered my fiver in Az but I have friends that had a lot just east of Casa Grande by the fair grounds for several years and they stored their travel supreme on their lot for several years . They would put a cover on it but was lucky to get two to three years out of the cover . You have to tie the cover with cotton or similar rope don't use the cheap poly rope it just rots in the sun.A little Rv antifreeze in toilet then wrap in suran wrap so the seals don't dry out. A couple large double tubs in the shower incase one cracks. Seals in water pump seem to always dry out and go bad . Other than that the rig made the summer well and always looked good with the exception of a little dust that would always come in .With the savings in fuel you could easily purchase a cover ever two to three years. They also had a neighbor that lives their year round keep a eye on it if something would come loose.hope this helps . We were their three years ago for the winter
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #3

Thank you, Clayton 4971. Really appreciate it. As you know from my "Thanks" we too live east of Casa Grande close to the county fairgrounds. They also must have been at Sunscape RV Park at Eleven Mile Corner as there is nothing else out here, 11 miles from town. Thank you for all the tips. We will very likely cover our 2008 Designer as it was quite an expensive investment and we love it. So controversial as to whether or not to cover. People seem very pro or con, quite passionately. We do have a neighbor to keep an eye on it as quite a few people live in this gated RV park year round. Any idea what cover brand your friends used? Some have 4 year guarantees but if anyone has a good brand to suggest, please do so. Again, thanks so much!!!!! Pam and John
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #4

Pamela we were there two years ago for three months. It's a very nice park with a lot of great people. Wife enjoyed the pool . She was in the sync swimming I posted on u-tube Sunscape bubble beauties had a great time . I got introduced to lapidary and really enjoyed it. I will see the couple that had the place there this weekend and ask what they purchased . One thing I know is they kept all their paper work for cover and had them replace it under warrantee . We have been going to Quartzite, Gold Canyon and Tombstone the last couple years pull a polaris RZR with us and are always exploring the mountains and trails . Enjoy the rest of your winter !
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote