Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: gatineau
Posts: 63
Crappy Tire complaints.

I've decided to file a complaint to Transport Canada about those crappy OEM tires that we all get and have to pay extra to change them.

I would be nice that everybody do the same also. Maybe next time I purchase a FW , there will be better tires on it !

here's the link : https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng

Maybe someone could post the link to the US side !


Thanks
__________________

tortue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
mike837go's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Campbell Hall
Posts: 2,617
Two U.S. Links:


National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)


And everything you didn't need to know about tires: http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/saf...HS-810-561.pdf
__________________

__________________
TT 2015 19RD "TheJayco"
TV 2003 F-350 "Montblanc" - Housebroken chore truck


Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
tularockstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chandler
Posts: 325
Well, I guess I can say that the wheels and tires upgrade for our 5th wheel was well worth the money we spent! We upgraded to the 16" Maxxis and they have performed flawlessly! We put on over 7,500 miles so far and so far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortue71 View Post
I've decided to file a complaint to Transport Canada about those crappy OEM tires that we all get and have to pay extra to change them.

I would be nice that everybody do the same also. Maybe next time I purchase a FW , there will be better tires on it !

here's the link : https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng

Maybe someone could post the link to the US side !


Thanks
__________________
U.S. Air Force (1979 to 1994)
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS
2015 Ram 2500 (w/Cummins Diesel)
Chandler, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Wasaga Beach
Posts: 181
When I read the thread title I thought it was a complaint about Canadian Tire (here in ON we refer to it as Crappy Tire )

I think heavier trailers give you an upgrade option when buying new. Can't see the gov't doing anything about it though. The tires they supply are probably good enough to get you past the warranty period. I'm sure many buyers have no clue and just keep hauling until one blows. I changed mine out because tires are cheaper than trailer repairs. I sold the used ones to recoup some of the cost.
__________________
2011 Ford F350 CC LB DRW
2014 Eagle Premier 361REQS
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
John7349's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fairview, Oregon
Posts: 173
It's a shame to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a new TT, only to wind up with junk for tires. All mfr's do this. I too spent extra dollars to get Maxxis tires and 16" rims just to have peace of mind.
__________________
John & Pam Moore
Fairview, Oregon
2017 Jayco 321RSTS
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: gatineau
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
When I read the thread title I thought it was a complaint about Canadian Tire (here in ON we refer to it as Crappy Tire )

I think heavier trailers give you an upgrade option when buying new. Can't see the gov't doing anything about it though. The tires they supply are probably good enough to get you past the warranty period. I'm sure many buyers have no clue and just keep hauling until one blows. I changed mine out because tires are cheaper than trailer repairs. I sold the used ones to recoup some of the cost.
I did not had an option to upgrade the tires on mine and the gross weight is 16K.

Part of the problem is the manufacturer but the dealers can be pretty stupid also. I bought the trailer in Gatineau quebec and it was on the lot at another dealer in Kingston. The guy pulled it all the way here with 60 psi in them. that makes me wonder if they even check those tire when departing from the factory.... maybe that's why people had blowout on the way home
tortue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Almanor/chico
Posts: 11
Yes the maxxis are a better tire but my 16"ers on my 26.5 HT are so big I only have 1/2" clearance between tire and fender. This worries me as I am afraid if I hit big bump my tire will damage fender. I think I will shave off part of fender to keep this from happening.
ddiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: gatineau
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiego View Post
Yes the maxxis are a better tire but my 16"ers on my 26.5 HT are so big I only have 1/2" clearance between tire and fender. This worries me as I am afraid if I hit big bump my tire will damage fender. I think I will shave off part of fender to keep this from happening.
That's what I did too , just trimmed in the interior actually and you cant even notice

Envoyé de mon SGH-M919V en utilisant Tapatalk
tortue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
tularockstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chandler
Posts: 325
Have you looked at all the options to raise your trailer higher? From moving the holes for the leaf springs to flipping the axles, these are some ways for you to get more clearance between your tires and fenders. Cutting the fenders would be my last resort IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiego View Post
Yes the maxxis are a better tire but my 16"ers on my 26.5 HT are so big I only have 1/2" clearance between tire and fender. This worries me as I am afraid if I hit big bump my tire will damage fender. I think I will shave off part of fender to keep this from happening.
__________________
U.S. Air Force (1979 to 1994)
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS
2015 Ram 2500 (w/Cummins Diesel)
Chandler, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Marcm157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newburgh
Posts: 1,048
I bought my trailer in June and already have a few thousand miles on my stock tires. I just ordered a set of Maxxis as a precaution as we are planning a few long distance trips early next season.
__________________

__________________
_______________________________________________
2016 Ford F150 Scab - 3.5 Ecoboost HD Tow - Roadmaster Active Suspension - Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

2016 Jayco 28BHBE - Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.