Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #1

Crappy Tire complaints.

I've decided to file a complaint to Transport Canada about those crappy OEM tires that we all get and have to pay extra to change them.

I would be nice that everybody do the same also. Maybe next time I purchase a FW , there will be better tires on it !

here's the link : https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng

Maybe someone could post the link to the US side !

Thanks
tortue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #2

Two U.S. Links:

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

And everything you didn't need to know about tires: http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/saf...HS-810-561.pdf

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #3

Well, I guess I can say that the wheels and tires upgrade for our 5th wheel was well worth the money we spent! We upgraded to the 16" Maxxis and they have performed flawlessly! We put on over 7,500 miles so far and so far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortue71 View Post
I've decided to file a complaint to Transport Canada about those crappy OEM tires that we all get and have to pay extra to change them.

I would be nice that everybody do the same also. Maybe next time I purchase a FW , there will be better tires on it !

here's the link : https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur....aspx?lang=eng

Maybe someone could post the link to the US side !

Thanks
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #4

When I read the thread title I thought it was a complaint about Canadian Tire (here in ON we refer to it as Crappy Tire )

I think heavier trailers give you an upgrade option when buying new. Can't see the gov't doing anything about it though. The tires they supply are probably good enough to get you past the warranty period. I'm sure many buyers have no clue and just keep hauling until one blows. I changed mine out because tires are cheaper than trailer repairs. I sold the used ones to recoup some of the cost.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:07 PM   #5

It's a shame to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a new TT, only to wind up with junk for tires. All mfr's do this. I too spent extra dollars to get Maxxis tires and 16" rims just to have peace of mind.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
When I read the thread title I thought it was a complaint about Canadian Tire (here in ON we refer to it as Crappy Tire )

I think heavier trailers give you an upgrade option when buying new. Can't see the gov't doing anything about it though. The tires they supply are probably good enough to get you past the warranty period. I'm sure many buyers have no clue and just keep hauling until one blows. I changed mine out because tires are cheaper than trailer repairs. I sold the used ones to recoup some of the cost.
I did not had an option to upgrade the tires on mine and the gross weight is 16K.

Part of the problem is the manufacturer but the dealers can be pretty stupid also. I bought the trailer in Gatineau quebec and it was on the lot at another dealer in Kingston. The guy pulled it all the way here with 60 psi in them. that makes me wonder if they even check those tire when departing from the factory.... maybe that's why people had blowout on the way home
Old 09-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #7

Yes the maxxis are a better tire but my 16"ers on my 26.5 HT are so big I only have 1/2" clearance between tire and fender. This worries me as I am afraid if I hit big bump my tire will damage fender. I think I will shave off part of fender to keep this from happening.
ddiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiego View Post
Yes the maxxis are a better tire but my 16"ers on my 26.5 HT are so big I only have 1/2" clearance between tire and fender. This worries me as I am afraid if I hit big bump my tire will damage fender. I think I will shave off part of fender to keep this from happening.
That's what I did too , just trimmed in the interior actually and you cant even notice

Envoyé de mon SGH-M919V en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2016, 10:48 AM   #9

Have you looked at all the options to raise your trailer higher? From moving the holes for the leaf springs to flipping the axles, these are some ways for you to get more clearance between your tires and fenders. Cutting the fenders would be my last resort IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiego View Post
Queen Creek, Arizona
Old 09-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #10

I bought my trailer in June and already have a few thousand miles on my stock tires. I just ordered a set of Maxxis as a precaution as we are planning a few long distance trips early next season.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #11

Good deal! We love our Maxxis tires. We did a 5,000 mile trip from AZ to WI and back. And, the tires performed flawlessly! I'm sure you'll appreciate the peace of mind they will give you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I bought my trailer in June and already have a few thousand miles on my stock tires. I just ordered a set of Maxxis as a precaution as we are planning a few long distance trips early next season.
Queen Creek, Arizona