Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Well, now I'm confused. I found this AAA Trailer Speed Limit chart (clicky) and it provoked several questions:

1) Sounds like I have really been speeding in Louisiana:

Boat or utility trailer, same as passenger car; house trailer, 55 mph, day, 50 mph, night for brake-equipped trailers 15 to 32 feet long, 50 mph for trailers without brakes less than 15 feet; all others, 45 mph.

So how fast can I (not should I) tow my fifth wheel on an interstate in LA with a posted speed limit of 70 mph??

2) Generally, my fifth wheel is not a "Mobile Home" or "house trailer", is it?
LA trailer definitions:

TRAILER - CLASSES OF LICENSE PLATES
Old 12-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
LA trailer definitions:

TRAILER - CLASSES OF LICENSE PLATES
Even here, it's not clear whether an RV is a "mobile home" or not. As I previously said, if you're running STs, in most cases you shouldn't exceed 65, so that's a given. Other times, if you're keeping with traffic, or a bit slower, you're =likely= not going to get pulled over. YMMV...

Lyle
LAKnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKnox View Post
Other times, if you're keeping with traffic, or a bit slower, you're =likely= not going to get pulled over.
And it just isn't about being in the eye of the Highway Patrol for speeding, think also about what might be happening on the road ahead of you and your ability for safely slowing/stopping with all that weight behind you! As the DW, that is one of the reasons I'm so much happier we upgraded our TV - love the diesel slow-down features when towing down those twisty highways that the sport cars love to test!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #24

Perhaps if you really want to fly down the road, Perhaps you should hear some stories of my accident??? work as a first to get there highway patrol officer. On the other hand, maby not, for at times I still remember them, expecially those that involved kids.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #25

I am always at or under speed limit...on interstate I don't tow faster than 65. There is just no need for it imo even though I have g rated tires and truck will pull it as fast as I want to go. 26k lbs going down the road is fine at or under posted limits for me
Old 12-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #26

I used to be one of those "tow it at 75mph with the fast lane" guys.... What a mistake! I've found that if I stay at 65 WITH the tractor trailers, instead of trying to zip in and out of them, my mileage improved, plus MORE IMPORTANTLY, the drive is MUCH less stressful! The only time that I now have a problem is when I'm traveling in an inside lane, trying to leave enough room between me and the vehicle in front of me, and some dweeb in a little fartcan (or two) decide that I left that open space for them to shoot to the inner lane and pass someone from the inside lane!

Unfortunately, the most direct route for me to "go south" takes me through New Jersey. Home of the WORST drivers in the world!
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
I used to be one of those "tow it at 75mph with the fast lane" guys.... What a mistake! I've found that if I stay at 65 WITH the tractor trailers, instead of trying to zip in and out of them, my mileage improved, plus MORE IMPORTANTLY, the drive is MUCH less stressful! The only time that I now have a problem is when I'm traveling in an inside lane, trying to leave enough room between me and the vehicle in front of me, and some dweeb in a little fartcan (or two) decide that I left that open space for them to shoot to the inner lane and pass someone from the inside lane!

Unfortunately, the most direct route for me to "go south" takes me through New Jersey. Home of the WORST drivers in the world!
You took the words right out of my brain!

+1 for hanging with the big rigs. Trouble around here is you're just as likely to find a rig doing 75-80 or more on the Interstate. But many of them are still poking along at 65-70. If I can find a nice gap in traffic with a rig or two to hang out with, I'm a happy camper. That's for Interstates. Back on the more rural, 2-lane roads, you're likely to get run over by a gravel or oil truck if you're going the speed limit; but luckily there are many passing lanes available to make it safer.

I HATE it when other drivers think that gap is for them! It's my safety cushion, and I wish people would stay out of it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I HATE it when other drivers think that gap is for them! It's my safety cushion, and I wish people would stay out of it.
That's why I tend to go a bit slower than most traffic. My safety cushion is constantly expanding, so there's always room for other drivers to enter. And most importantly, it doesn't raise my blood pressure when they pass on my left and pull over in front of me. They will soon be far ahead of me.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #29

Here in Oregon the speed limit for towing is 55mph. Cars is 65mph. Semi's only go 55mph or a few mph over that. Most everyone driving a car or truck seems to run around 68-73mph. I find that running 65mph or faster I'm constantly needing to get into the left lane to pass slower moving semi's. If I slow to 62mph them my need to pass is reduced as I'm not coming in contact with semi's as often. I really hate it when a semi pulls out to pass another one and it takes several miles before they get around them. I don't want to be that a$$hole that does the same thing. Plus I get 1-1.5 mpg better. And when towing 4-5000 mile a year that save some cash.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:39 AM   #30

On my trip two years ago had two close calls with boneheads pulling in front of me an slamming on brakes to turn. Now I have a dash camera, figure if I hit one trying to stop my rig at least I can show it to the responding police
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
If I can find a nice gap in traffic with a rig or two to hang out with, I'm a happy camper.
Big rigs can be your best friends, and in dangerous situations - the slower the better IMHO. When in college and driving frequently over a snowy/icy mountain pass, as working up the mountain and where there was a gap I'd get in behind one and let it track me through to the next road stop on the downside below the snowline. I KNEW it was a smart move when one time I was getting a coffee and the driver of the rig I followed congratulated me for using his rig to get over the pass ... as that was the guidance he was giving his daughter too! Naturally, paid for his coffee and slice of pie.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #32

Posted limit when under 55MPH. Highway unless climbing is 60-65MPH for me as well.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote