Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-24-2016, 06:29 PM   #1

De-Winterizing with Uni-Doc Center

We purchased a Northpoint 377 RLBH back in late Feb and have not had a chance to get out because of schedules. We are getting ready to make our first trip. The unit is still winterized and I am not 100% how to de-winterize this unit with the Uni-Doc.

We have been Rving for 11 years and know how to de-winterize.

I have been over and over and over the owners manual and it does not show you the correct valve placement. I called Jayco today and they said set to city water and just turn on the water. Well sounds all good but if I remember correctly it says if you have the Uni-Doc that you do not have by-pass kit on the hot water heater it is all controlled by the valves in the uni-doc. With it set to City water it will pump antifreeze into the hot water heater and that is no good. When I said that their answer was to leave the drain plug out of the hot water heater and the antifreeze will come out - I am not comfy with that.

We also have the residential frig and not 100% about that either.

Yes the dealer walked us through all this but it was 3 months ago and I am old plus have slept a few times...LOL

Any pointers / help would be great

2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH
2012 Ford F350 CC Lariat with F/X Pkg. 6.7, 11500 GVWR & Pullrite Autoslide
EGR & DEF Delete and 5" Exhaust
Blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #2

Hey Blue, I'm sorry that I can't help but I agree that pull the plug and let it run is not good advice. Hard to believe that there's not a bypass. The residential fridge is also a good question. After 11 years you have more experience than 90% of the dealer's techs, maybe all of them combined. Trust your gut first and a tech next. To quote a current commercial, "We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.".
Post what you find.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #3

I don't see what wrong with pulling the plug on the HWT, that's what I did.
There is very little antifreeze in that area of the system it will run out in no time.
But if you are dead set against doing that, then do it this way.

Dump the pink that is in the water filter canister and give it a good rinse. Put it back on (without the filter)
Open the low point drains and open all the inside sink valves , to let most of the pink out. Close the sink valves and leave the low point valves open.

Leave the docking valves set to winterize ( that will leave your HWT bypass on) and suck clean water out of jugs with the short hose.
Instead of sucking pink into the lines when winterizing, you will be sucking clean water into the lines (but the water will go directly out of the low point drains)
Suck up at least two jugs of clean water and the area of the pump, water filter, and HWT bypass should be relatively clear of antifreeze.

Then close the low point drains and turn your valves to city water and hook up your hose.

Make sure the first valve for the fridge is closed. (It's under the sink on the left side, way down at floor level inside the wooded box where the sink lines come up)

Then turn on your city water and get all the pink out of the lines.

When your done...since this is your first time putting water in the system... Close fridge valve 2 (located behind the drawer under the oven. You have to take out the drawer) This will prevent any unwanted dirty water going into your fridge.
Open valve 1 (under the sink, that I mentioned earlier)...and open the fridge drain valve (underneath the kitchen slide near the back)
Turn the water on and blow out that line for anything that the factory let get in there.
It will also blow a lot of antifreeze out of the cold line without the water going into your tanks. Since the cold water is what you drink, give it a good draining and that line to the sink will be extra antifreeze clear.

When you are satisfied... Turn off the drain valve under the slide, leave the valve on under the sink and turn the valve behind the oven on. Put your fridge filter in, if it isn't already, (turn off the ice maker with the switch) and let a good amount of water out of the door water filler (like 5 or 6 BIG glasses worth) then turn on the ice maker.

Put your filter in the filter canister

I would still pull the plug on the HWT and drain it. but that's your call.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #4

Sounds odd that there's no HW bypass but you've been doing this long enough to know what to look for. If there's a winterize/sanitize setting, I'd set it there with a water hose connected and run every faucet till the water runs clear. Its possible that the city fixture setting would run pink stuff thru the HW tank.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #5

There is a HWT bypass

You could do it like Stingray said with the hose connected instead of sucking from jugs. I just don't know if the pump will turn on because of the pressure from the hose.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #6

All other 3 units we owned had hwt bypass valves so to me it sounds crazy not to have them.

On page 134 of the Northpoint owners manual it says

" NOTE: When set to winterize: antifreeze will not enter the water heater or the fresh water tank. There are no dedicated water heater bypass valves "

Jayco said run it into the HWT and leave plug out but their owner manual (page 131) in bold letters "Antifreeze should be kept out of the water heater "

So if I do what they said and there is a hot water heater problem then there is a pis*ing match

Thank you for the info on the frig I do remember the valve for the frig now that you said that.

Like my wife and I say "we can't be the only one asking these types of questions or having the the problem"

2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH
2012 Ford F350 CC Lariat with F/X Pkg. 6.7, 11500 GVWR & Pullrite Autoslide
EGR & DEF Delete and 5" Exhaust
Blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:07 PM   #7

I think they mean don't fill the tank with antifreeze for the winter.
If you pull the plug it will be about two cups of pink that will flow in, mixed with water and flow directly out
Old 05-24-2016, 10:48 PM   #8

How I did it on my 2016 North Point. I mixed a proper sanitizing solution in a 5 gal. container. I set the controls to sanitize and turned on the pump. This sucked the solution into the fresh water tank. I then switched the controls to city water fill and filled the fresh water tank with water. Switching back to sanitize, I ran water through all the pipes and faucets getting rid of the anti freeze. No water was pumped into the hot water heater. You're right, the documentation sucks and calling the dealer was an exercise in frustration.

Jim