Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #1

Designer water pump switch light

This is a minor thing, but just one that bugs me. I have the normal water pump toggle switch in the control panel that lights up red when on. Normal. But there is another identical switch above the bathroom sink, also labelled water pump. This one lights up red when the main switch is on, but toggling the switch does nothing. Is this just supposed to be an indicator light that lets you know the main switch is on, or is it supposed to be a second location where you can turn the pump on and off, and maybe just wired wrong ? Otherwise everything works fine - just curious, and didn't want to change anything if that's the way it's supposed to be.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #2

I had a 2004 Designer. If you shut off the main switch you can turn the4 pump off and on from the bathroom location. This comes in handy if you shut the pump off at nite. If you get up to use the facilities you can turn on the pump from there instead of going downstairs . We liked that feature.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #3

I thought something like that might be the case, and had previously tried that. Went out just now to make sure that the main switch was off, and tried to turn on pump from bath sink switch. Did nothing - did not light up and pump did not come on. Wonder if either the second switch is wired wrong, or perhaps malfunctioning ?
Retired at last !

Old 07-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #4

Try taking switch out. Should be 2 blade conectors plugged into the back. Unplug the connectors and use piece of wire to bridge between the two plugs. Your water pump should start. If it does your switch is bad.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #5

OK - took the switch out, and in fact there are 3 wires plugged into it - white, green, and dark blue. Unplugged all three, and tested the switch with ohmmeter. Top and bottom terminals (white & dk blue) are connected regardless of switch position. Middle (green) is connected to both other terminals in the on position, and disconnected from both in the off position. Both white and dk blue are required to turn light on when the main switch is on, and I believe the white must be ground, considering a volt meter shows +13V across white and dk blue with + probe on the dk blue. Shorting across the green and dk blue wires does NOT activate the pump when the main switch is off, and shorting across the white and green also doesn't activate the pump.

Also checked the wire colors on the main switch, and they are white, purple, and red, so that doesn't help trace the problem.

Any ideas ?
Retired at last !

Old 07-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #6

I can't help with the wiring problem, but I would love to have a water pump switch in the bathroom. I don't know how many times we could come back for an outing, someone goes into use the bathroom and then yells for the pump to be turned on.:hihi:

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote