Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

Direct tv question

We have a d12 reciever and an older 18" round dish on a tripod we have used for years with no issues. Since we got the pinnacle, I would like the second d12 for the bedroom. At home we use the genie and mini genie system with the swm dish. No issues. Direct has always been spot on with service. I called yesterday and asked about adding get the second d12 reciever, expecting the additional $6.50 Monthly fee and maybe even a cost for the reciever. Direct tells me I can add the d12 for the monthly fee, and they will supply it with a renew album at no cost. Problem is they won't mail the reciever. They tell me it has to be installed at my home address by a technician. I told them we are not at home and won'the be till nov. Only way they'll give the reciever.
My question is if I buy a reciever from ebay or something similar will the card out of one of mini genies run the d12?
Kevin and Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Don't know about that but I do know that the Genie and mini-genie receiver do not provide power to the dish so you will have to also provide a power supply that they have or buy separately. I has a splitter that puts power on the coax like the older units do.

We have Direct at home but have lost interest in having it on the road.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #3

Not using the swm in the rv. Just an 18" round dish and d12 reciever. I know the mini genies don'the have tuners so they will not work without the main genie. Trying to figure out if the cards in the mini genie,will work in the d12 reciever. If they will i'll buy a d12 and use one of the active cards out of one of the minis.

Thanks
Old 09-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin and Beth View Post
Not using the swm in the rv. Just an 18" round dish and d12 receiver. I know the mini genies don'the have tuners so they will not work without the main genie. Trying to figure out if the cards in the mini genie,will work in the d12 reciever. If they will i'll buy a d12 and use one of the active cards out of one of the minis.

Thanks
Sure hope you will keep us posted on how that works out. I did not consider that the dis will not need power but if using one of the type that need power, it has to come from somewhere if using a Genie or Mini Genie.
My understanding is the mini Genie will not work unless it comes thru the Genie.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #5

You'really right mini genies don'the have tuners.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin and Beth View Post
You'really right mini genies don'the have tuners.
I need to pay attention, You just stated that! LOL
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 09-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

It seems to me like someone on this forum installs Direct tv. Maybe they will chime in.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:45 PM   #8

As a Directv dealer, we deal with RV'ers regularly so hopefully I can enlighten you a little bit. Legacy style receivers ( D11, D12, H20, H21, H22, H23, H24 as well as the DVR's with HR up to the 24), will all work with a 18" Dish because they all have to option in the system settings to select Round 18" Dish and Multi-Switch for the Switch Type. With the Switch type set to Multi-Switch, this allows the receiver to provide the 18 and 13 volts to power the legacy lnb that is on a 18" Dish, with the switch type set to SWM ( Single Wire Multiswitch ), the voltage output to the coax is turned off because the SWM requires a more powerful voltage output than the receivers are capable of producing. All the receivers above are also SWM compatible except the D11's ( not many of those still floating around ). If I were approaching Directv, I would tell them that I intend to use that D12 for my RV that already has an automatic dish on it, so I don't need a tech to come out and install it. If the CSR still won't accommodate you, ask to speak to their supervisor, if that doesn't work, then tell them than to forget it and you are going to switch to Dish Network so you can enjoy your flat panel TV's in HD with an automatic portable Dish and as a new customer I will save over $50-$100 for 2 yrs so stick it. That should get you to someone that can accommodate you. If that doesn't work, and you really want to stay with Directv after that, then find a local dealer and pay for the box a call Directv and add it to your account. Good Luck with that dealings!!
As for the Genie, Mini-Genie (Client), Wireless Mini-Genie, these are the facts: A Genie aka HR34 (1st generation), HR44 (2nd generation), and HR54 (new 3rd generation), are all basically a server receiver DVR with 5 tuners that shares tuners to the Mini-Genies and Wireless Mini-Genies ( that is why they are clients, they don't have Access Cards or Tuners, they have MAC addresses and serial #'s like all IP based Protocol Devices) over the coax cable in a MOCA (Multi-Media over Coax Alliance) environment. The wireless clients also require a wireless video bridge (very similar to a wireless router) to broadcast data from the Genie to the wireless client. The wireless Genie system is awesome for full time RV'ers and RV'ers that use their RV regularly.
Directv now has a new none DVR server type receiver with 5 tuners that is used with client boxes for additional TV's. This system as well as the Genie system requires a SWM style dish only. The cool thing about the HR54 and the H44, Directv has installed a beefed up power supply for those 2 receiver's to eliminate the use of the PI21 power supply that has always been required for a SWM dish. Also, you cannot use cards out of active receiver's and put them in a different receiver. The Access card is mated to the RID (receiver identification) number. Hope this clarifies a few things. If you don't have any luck and if you ever are in South Texas, on the coast, we can sure get you what you want!! I am a dealer that sells, service, and installs Directv and Dish Network, so I feel I can be reasonably objective about both companies. Over the last few years, Dish has aggressively gone after the RV market with the Tailgater and 211 receivers that communicate with the Dish to provide a very functional automatic HD, I will say it again High-Definition functionality at less than $400 for the equipment. With Directv, if you want HD, you either have to get good at aligning a Slim-Line dish or invest in a Winegard Traveler that gets pretty pricey. Good Luck
gaserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaserv View Post
As a Directv dealer, we deal with RV'ers regularly so hopefully I can enlighten you a little bit. Legacy style receivers ( D11, D12, H20, H21, H22, H23, H24 as well as the DVR's with HR up to the 24), will all work with a 18" Dish because they all have to option in the system settings to select Round 18" Dish and Multi-Switch for the Switch Type. With the Switch type set to Multi-Switch, this allows the receiver to provide the 18 and 13 volts to power the legacy lnb that is on a 18" Dish, with the switch type set to SWM ( Single Wire Multiswitch ), the voltage output to the coax is turned off because the SWM requires a more powerful voltage output than the receivers are capable of producing. All the receivers above are also SWM compatible except the D11's ( not many of those still floating around ). If I were approaching Directv, I would tell them that I intend to use that D12 for my RV that already has an automatic dish on it, so I don't need a tech to come out and install it. If the CSR still won't accommodate you, ask to speak to their supervisor, if that doesn't work, then tell them than to forget it and you are going to switch to Dish Network so you can enjoy your flat panel TV's in HD with an automatic portable Dish and as a new customer I will save over $50-$100 for 2 yrs so stick it. That should get you to someone that can accommodate you. If that doesn't work, and you really want to stay with Directv after that, then find a local dealer and pay for the box a call Directv and add it to your account. Good Luck with that dealings!!
As for the Genie, Mini-Genie (Client), Wireless Mini-Genie, these are the facts: A Genie aka HR34 (1st generation), HR44 (2nd generation), and HR54 (new 3rd generation), are all basically a server receiver DVR with 5 tuners that shares tuners to the Mini-Genies and Wireless Mini-Genies ( that is why they are clients, they don't have Access Cards or Tuners, they have MAC addresses and serial #'s like all IP based Protocol Devices) over the coax cable in a MOCA (Multi-Media over Coax Alliance) environment. The wireless clients also require a wireless video bridge (very similar to a wireless router) to broadcast data from the Genie to the wireless client. The wireless Genie system is awesome for full time RV'ers and RV'ers that use their RV regularly.
Directv now has a new none DVR server type receiver with 5 tuners that is used with client boxes for additional TV's. This system as well as the Genie system requires a SWM style dish only. The cool thing about the HR54 and the H44, Directv has installed a beefed up power supply for those 2 receiver's to eliminate the use of the PI21 power supply that has always been required for a SWM dish. Also, you cannot use cards out of active receiver's and put them in a different receiver. The Access card is mated to the RID (receiver identification) number. Hope this clarifies a few things. If you don't have any luck and if you ever are in South Texas, on the coast, we can sure get you what you want!! I am a dealer that sells, service, and installs Directv and Dish Network, so I feel I can be reasonably objective about both companies. Over the last few years, Dish has aggressively gone after the RV market with the Tailgater and 211 receivers that communicate with the Dish to provide a very functional automatic HD, I will say it again High-Definition functionality at less than $400 for the equipment. With Directv, if you want HD, you either have to get good at aligning a Slim-Line dish or invest in a Winegard Traveler that gets pretty pricey. Good Luck
Excellent and very informative.

I have the DirecTV HR44 and HR24, whole home, 2 tv's (one in the front bedroom using the RG6 that came from the factory for the front tv), Slimline dish on a tripod from tv4rv.com and DNS. At the time I was looking to set this up 5 years ago (before the HR44) I could get virtually zero information from DirecTV. They just don't want to talk RV it seems, but after figuring out how to do it I set it up and it still works great. I did upgrade an older DVR to the HR44 and kept the then new HR24.

With all of this being said and even though I can aim my Slimline in minutes, I would upgrade to a portable automatic aiming dish in a heartbeat if anyone would come out with one for HD on DirecTV. Switching to Dish is not an option.

Fingers crossed that it will happen in my lifetime, but I'm not holding my breath.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:51 AM   #10

I,would love to switch to the,swm system. There are several here now. With the older d12 I don'the get half our programming. What aggravates me with direct is i'my not buying a winega Rd system. Evidently they're now partnering....nor do I want NFL Sunday ticket.... I will tell them today if,we can't get this resolved,I am planning on switching to dish.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:42 AM   #11

I have contemplated making a stand for a Winegard Traveler and that basically would give you a portable option, but it would be heavy and bulky. The problem with Directv and a portable is that the two orbital slots used for all the HD programming, 99 and 103, is that they are a KA satellite and not KU like the rest of the systems. KA operates at even a higher frequency so the portable manufacturers haven't made a system that is capable of doing both. The Traveler is a modified Slim-Line KA/KU dish with a motors and electronics that allow it rotate, raise and lower, and twist for the 3 adjustments that have to be made.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #12

Resolved. ...shipping the d12 at no charge...only the $6.50 a month. Only had to call 8 times before I got to the right person.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #13

It is ashamed that it takes 8 calls to do something so simple. The turnover for CSR's is tremendous, so during the training process they are preached to, We don't service RV's, but it doesn't sink in that the customer can do his own. Glad you got it resolved.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:30 AM   #14

Directv has been very accommodating to us after I learned to tell them what they wanted to hear. Whenever I call them with a problem I tell them I am in my vacation home. I have the service agreement for 7.99 a month. Last month I was in a spot a couldn't get a signal from the satellite so I called and they sent out a tech and he found a signal location and mounted the dish on a temporary stand. No charge.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #15

Great reply!

I know this is an older thread, but please excuse me as I'm new to Jayco and this Forum.
We have been full timing in a toy hauler for the last couple of years and stationary at one park for most of that.
We had directv DVR's in our old house and I had a Motosat dish mounted on our 5er, then I would just grab a DVR from the house when we hit the road.
There was some changing of settings and b-band converters etc but it was awesome having directv HD picture on the road. We had the tv's in the 5er connected to the DVR in the living room, TV demand was much less then as it was just mostly for us with only a toddler and a baby, we could even switch channels from the bedroom setting the remote control to RF instead of IR.
Well since getting rid of our house and loading up the 5er we settled in a really nice RV park in North Texas. We were in a weekly paid spot in this park for three months, we were actually looking to buy a house in the area but couldn't find exactly what we were looking for. We decided to move into one of the monthly spots in this park and have been here ever since.
When we moved into a monthly spot, we happened to end up under a lot of trees, a blessing from the sun but a curse for my wonderful roof mounted Motosat dish getting a signal! It surprisingly worked through tree branches many times in the past but these trees were too thick.
I herd about the whole home Genie systems but never figured one could be easily configured in our 2006 toy hauler. Thankfully I was wrong!
I called directv and they sent a guy out who mounted a residential dish to an aluminum pole concreted into the ground. We ran a new coax from the side wall of the coach, through the underbelly and up behind the tv to a new genie box. He added a power inserter and a block which many lines of coax came to and from if I ever wanted to add to a coax system with the original coach coax.
He added a wireless bridge and a slave to the bedroom and one to the the tv in the back. Why so many? Well we have been growing our family, we added another baby soon after moving here and now there's one more on the way again.
I know, I know, we mustn't be watching that wonderful whole home tv system at all! Lol.
Well that brings me to the purpose of my post along with commending Gaserv's wonderful post which I found very enlightening even now on the first day of 2017.
With the family now about to be at four little ones plus us, we are currently in the middle of getting rid of our toy hauler and purchasing a super nice 2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 375BHFS. It has been barely used and the furniture and decor seems to be more comfortable and nicer than the North Point which is now the only option in this configuration if buying new anymore, hence wanting to snap this one up.
I'm wondering what I'm going to have to do to get our current genie system changed over to the new trailer as I want to add an option for traveling also without having to set up a residential dish. It's not so much the setting up but the storage, the residential dish set up on a tripod takes up a lot of real estate when in the cargo hold.
What I want to achieve is when we are in this park, just plugging into the residential dish we have at our site which we plan to keep for a couple more years even if we hit the road traveling in the summer.
Having the roof mounted dish is awesome 80% of the time when on the road so I will want to add a Winegard traveler or RF Mogul Eagle (Old Motosat guys) to the roof.
I also want to have the ability to use a Winegard G2 for when we end up under the trees and realize we will have to switch the genie to SD (hide HD) in this circumstance, unless there's a better carryout HD option I don't know about?
I'd like the ability to easily switch between any of these options when the need occurs.

From your post Gaserv, I gathered the newer HR44 and HR54 act as a power inserter? What I currently have is the HR34 which is glitchy and freezes quite a bit, especially as it's gotten older. The 34 is very big also so the smaller the better. I see the 44 is a lot smaller than the 34 but not sure if the 54 is even smaller or less suitable in an RV environment?

What do you recommend as far as 44 or 54 and what do you think would make it easy to switch between the three options?

Will need a genie in the living room and three slaves, one for the bedroom, bunk room and outside kitchen.

Quote:
LuckyCharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:00 AM   #16

Call and ask for retention, they will verify your acct and send you directly over... do not talk to movers dept or regular CS. RETENTION!
360Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360Bridges View Post
Call and ask for retention, they will verify your acct and send you directly over... do not talk to movers dept or regular CS. RETENTION!
Exactly !!!!! We have been DirecTv customers since 1997 and when ever I need something done I call up give them my account and when they say what can we help you with I say Send me to the RETENTION Dept. please and when they push back I tell them again send me to the RETENTION dept.

That dept. can get anything done and it is done right the first time because they are here in AMERICA!!!

We use our SD receivers as we dont watch tv but in the morning for weather and evening when heading to bed. We have the carry out dish and love it. just wish I would have wait two years and got the one that is powered from the receiver and is small in size.

2016 Jayco Northpoint 377RLBH
2012 Ford F350 CC Lariat with F/X Pkg. 6.7, 11500 GVWR & Pullrite Autoslide
EGR & DEF Delete and 5" Exhaust
Blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
I know this is an older thread, but please excuse me as I'm new to Jayco and this Forum.
We have been full timing in a toy hauler for the last couple of years and stationary at one park for most of that.
We had directv DVR's in our old house and I had a Motosat dish mounted on our 5er, then I would just grab a DVR from the house when we hit the road.
There was some changing of settings and b-band converters etc but it was awesome having directv HD picture on the road. We had the tv's in the 5er connected to the DVR in the living room, TV demand was much less then as it was just mostly for us with only a toddler and a baby, we could even switch channels from the bedroom setting the remote control to RF instead of IR.
Well since getting rid of our house and loading up the 5er we settled in a really nice RV park in North Texas. We were in a weekly paid spot in this park for three months, we were actually looking to buy a house in the area but couldn't find exactly what we were looking for. We decided to move into one of the monthly spots in this park and have been here ever since.
When we moved into a monthly spot, we happened to end up under a lot of trees, a blessing from the sun but a curse for my wonderful roof mounted Motosat dish getting a signal! It surprisingly worked through tree branches many times in the past but these trees were too thick.
I herd about the whole home Genie systems but never figured one could be easily configured in our 2006 toy hauler. Thankfully I was wrong!
I called directv and they sent a guy out who mounted a residential dish to an aluminum pole concreted into the ground. We ran a new coax from the side wall of the coach, through the underbelly and up behind the tv to a new genie box. He added a power inserter and a block which many lines of coax came to and from if I ever wanted to add to a coax system with the original coach coax.
He added a wireless bridge and a slave to the bedroom and one to the the tv in the back. Why so many? Well we have been growing our family, we added another baby soon after moving here and now there's one more on the way again.
I know, I know, we mustn't be watching that wonderful whole home tv system at all! Lol.
Well that brings me to the purpose of my post along with commending Gaserv's wonderful post which I found very enlightening even now on the first day of 2017.
With the family now about to be at four little ones plus us, we are currently in the middle of getting rid of our toy hauler and purchasing a super nice 2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 375BHFS. It has been barely used and the furniture and decor seems to be more comfortable and nicer than the North Point which is now the only option in this configuration if buying new anymore, hence wanting to snap this one up.
I'm wondering what I'm going to have to do to get our current genie system changed over to the new trailer as I want to add an option for traveling also without having to set up a residential dish. It's not so much the setting up but the storage, the residential dish set up on a tripod takes up a lot of real estate when in the cargo hold.
What I want to achieve is when we are in this park, just plugging into the residential dish we have at our site which we plan to keep for a couple more years even if we hit the road traveling in the summer.
Having the roof mounted dish is awesome 80% of the time when on the road so I will want to add a Winegard traveler or RF Mogul Eagle (Old Motosat guys) to the roof.
I also want to have the ability to use a Winegard G2 for when we end up under the trees and realize we will have to switch the genie to SD (hide HD) in this circumstance, unless there's a better carryout HD option I don't know about?
I'd like the ability to easily switch between any of these options when the need occurs.

From your post Gaserv, I gathered the newer HR44 and HR54 act as a power inserter? What I currently have is the HR34 which is glitchy and freezes quite a bit, especially as it's gotten older. The 34 is very big also so the smaller the better. I see the 44 is a lot smaller than the 34 but not sure if the 54 is even smaller or less suitable in an RV environment?

What do you recommend as far as 44 or 54 and what do you think would make it easy to switch between the three options?

Will need a genie in the living room and three slaves, one for the bedroom, bunk room and outside kitchen.
We put Genie and Wireless Video Bridge in the bedroom. The equipment is larger than just the wireless receivers are lots of cords and cables and that way we don't have to look at them in the living room.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:38 PM   #19

HR54's have the SWM power inserter built in so you don't need the PI21 with it. The way to get the HR54 is to tell DirecTV you have an Ultra HD 4K TV then they will provide a HR54 and a 4K mini. Also they now have a 4K Hybrid LNB that will run 13 tuners and provide 4K content.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:21 AM   #20

Quote:
HR54's have the SWM power inserter built in so you don't need the PI21 with it. The way to get the HR54 is to tell DirecTV you have an Ultra HD 4K TV then they will provide a HR54 and a 4K mini. Also they now have a 4K Hybrid LNB that will run 13 tuners and provide 4K content.
But he should also be aware up front that to use the 4K mini (C61K), it has to be in a "wired" location. They don't make a wireless 4K mini (yet).