Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2015, 08:41 AM   #1

Dirtbike behind 5th wheel

Does anyone have experience using a hitch hauler on a 5th wheel.

My rig is 2015 jayco eagle 26.5rks 5ver with a factory installed reese hitch rated at 3000lbs and 300 lbs tongue weight.

2005 duramax diesel 2500hd crew cab standard box 4x4

My dirtbike is near 250 lbs full of fuel.
The 5er GVWR is almost 10,000lbs + 3000lbs for its trailer.

My TV CGVWR is 22,000lbs
My actual loaded and fueled ready to camp combined weight is under 17,000lbs

I live in NC so I am afraid trailering behind my 5ver is considered double towing and is not permited.

I have considered a trailer with casters but it would be expensive and maybe unnecessary.

As far as the ratings are concerned I think I am safe but I have heard that it would be to much bouncing and there are no products that would work without wheels.
jklennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:07 AM   #2

I am no expert but the force your 250 lb MX machine would exert on the hitch when going over bumps and g out dips in the road, exaggerated by the pendulum effect of being far behind the 5vrs axel, in my opinion >>>> would rip your hitch right off the frame if it is rated at 300lbs.
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I am no expert but the force your 250 lb MX machine would exert on the hitch when going over bumps and g out dips in the road, exaggerated by the pendulum effect of being far behind the 5vrs axel, in my opinion >>>> would rip your hitch right off the frame if it is rated at 300lbs.
I was thinking it may have some more movement being behind the trailer. I was thinking that any cargo carrier would have the same effect. However I doubt Jayco/reese would allow production of the combination if it would simply detach from the frame, and therefore they may have accounted for the forces by under rating the hitch.
jklennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #4

The "accessory cargo receiver" JAYCO installs is also rated at 300 lbs so there should not be any issue.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #5

IMO I think you would be ok. A trailer 3000lb trailer would be doing a lot of bouncing and pulling on the tongue also.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:53 PM   #6

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine as long as you don't pound it down rough roads. I have one of those bike haulers that I've hung directly off my truck. They tend to rock side to side a lot. Try supporting it to minimize the rocking. The hitch should have no problem.
msled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:45 AM   #7

I guess I have seen to many items hanging or I should say bouncing down the road behind long 5'ers and TT's. Some of the bouncing scared me enough I backed off a safe distance expecting items to be bouncing down the road ahead of me.

When I purchased my new Designer it came with an installed rear hitch and a bike carrier. I sold the bike carrier without ever opening it. I just can't have anything bouncing around back where I can't see it. Maybe with a short TT or 5'er, but definitely not with my long one. I have a PlayStation 3 that lives in a cabinet at the rear of my Designer and over a few hundred miles it broke through the shelf it was sitting on due to bouncing I suppose. Either way, my rear hitch has never been used an won't be by me.

Sign me "chicken".

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #8

I just bought a Highland Bike Rack for my bicycles that hangs off the back of my 29.5BHDS. It wasn't until I got the bike rack that it said in the instructions, "Do not install on the back of 5th wheel trailers". They were receiving complaints of the rack catapulting bikes into the air. This rack sticks out 3.5' from the hitch. It all made sense after seeing that. I still use the rack because it meets my needs. I just took extra steps to make sure I used additional support in the way of ratchet straps. I said all this to tell you there is a legit concern of items suspended off the back of 5'ers or any trailer for that matter.

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote