Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #41

I work for a dealer, yes it's not a camper dealer but we are sent daily emails about the units that have been shipped, the po is included in the email along with all the other info that was sent in from the dealer for the purchase so somebody is feeding you a salesman line
1985 21' Hi-Lo (Sold)
93 Yamaha G9A

Dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
(snip) Getting back to the couch, why did they decide to change it ? If people want something different then either offer it as an option, fill current orders and make the change on new orders, or make the change the next model year, but don't just do it and tell customers you have to accept it..
Exactly! Ethics! Never assume, as you'll always get it wrong.

Even if the factory contacted the dealer and asked them to contact the buyer and didn't hear back (due to the dealer either not getting the email or forgetting to contact the buyer), it's still up to the factory to continue contacting the dealer for an answer.

I hate it when someone says that my email went to junk/spam and they didn't see it. Sorry, but you should never automatically set your spam folder to delete emails right away. You should always check that folder yourself. Okay, off that soapbox!

If Jayco is ethical, they'll fix both of the problems mentioned in this thread without any further hassle. The customer should get what they ordered and if something has to be changed, then it's up to the factory to contact the customer to get approval. And bend over backwards getting what the customer ordered if they don't want to make the change.

When it comes time for me to decide what we're getting, I know it'll probably be ordered as there's usually something I don't like on the models on the lot that I can change in my order. And I want to know that what I order will be exactly what I'm getting. Not what some nimrod at the factory decides they think *I* want.

Whew, and it's not even my problem!
Old 02-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #43

N W Cat Owner WELL SAID !!
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:15 AM   #44

We had this same problem when we ordered our 2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS with the large screen TV on the wall over the fireplace. We spent some time sitting with the dealer and checking off all the items we wanted on Jayco's build sheet. Then when the dealer called to tell us our unit was in, we went over to check it out. No big screen TV on the wall over the fireplace. A 32 inch TV popped up from behind the fireplace. Sorry, not what we ordered and would not take delivery. Same options still on build sheet 3 months later when we ordered again. We let the dealer know that if it was not right, we would not take delivery. He still has the first model on his lot. The second unit came in "as ordered" and we are happy campers.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #45

Keep in mind that your contract is with the dealer... It's up to them to "make it right". You purchased from them in good faith! The completion/shipment confirmation from the factory to the dealer is very specific about how the unit is configured, so I suspect that they were very well aware of how your unit was configured. At most dealerships, as soon as a special ordered unit arrives they make sure that it's not damaged, and that it matches what the customer ordered... something doesn't smell right about that whole thing.

It's absolutely up to the dealership to make sure that you get what you ordered!

Just my opinion...
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #46

When we ordered ours last year the dealer called Jayco and placed the order when we were in the office. Everything was confirmed before the order was placed. We were given at that time and option to put in the fireplace.

Good Luck
rbintheup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #47

Until dealing with a couple of issues with our new Eagle Premier 375BHFS, I never realized the factories probably change stuff all the time based on availability and cost. We were missing the window shade in the bunk house bathroom and a TV bracket in the basement storage compartment. I was able to work it out with the dealer to get the parts from the factory, but I was surprised that I had to provide the window measurements to get the correct shade. I assumed the windows would all be the same size for the model but the dealer said they could change any time depending on what is available at the time. I guess it is a big challenge to maintain inventory for every single knob, switch, door, faucet, chair, etc. Especially when considering the different colors and camper models available. I'm sure their vendors are always competing for the business so if one offers a better deal, they would probably switch suppliers to cut costs/increase profits. Also, if they run out of a part, I'm sure they will find an alternative rather than shut the plant down.

Luckily we didn't have any major problems and Jayco sent us the missing parts.
charlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:02 PM   #48

When we took the plant tour last year they said that as far as ordering things like upholstery, fabrics, etc that they use they are trying to plan about 2 years out. I guess some things are readily available like faucets, sinks, etc but there is apparently a long lead time on some things. Even so, there should be more communication if changes are made.
I can say for certain that some changes are made at the dealer level also. The unit we have now, we originally looked at last July on the dealers lot. I took pictures of it inside and out. At the time, it had the vinyl couch and recliners. When we bought it in January, the couch and recliners were changed to cloth, which is what we wanted instead of vinyl. Since last July, the unit was sold in September, and traded back in in November (another story entirely). Somewhere in between, the furniture got changed. Worked perfect for us, as it is what we wanted anyway.
2015 F250 Super duty 6.2L full trailering pkg.
Loris, South Carolina.
rryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #49

Just a little update as to where my situation with the wrong living room furniture is right now, after receiving the reply from Jayco that they will handle the changing of the straight couch, back to the reclining sectional that we expected, we went and looked at our unit last weekend, looks very nice, pleased. I gave the email to the sales manager that day, and he was pleased to see Jayco's feedback. Well, yesterday he calls me at work to tell me that someone at the plant had replied to him, asking him if they, the dealer would pick up half the cost for this correction. Personally at this point, I don't care who pays, just want it done. The dealership manager assured me it will get looked after. I am heading to our last of 4 weekends of RV shows tonight, with my dealer at this one and a Jayco rep also from the south. I will pay a visit with him, and maybe get some info on why it was sent with such a drastic change in the living room. The process the dealers have don't really have a breakdown of the exact furniture in a special build, I was sent the confirmation from the plant before they start the build to make sure everything is in line, it is very generic, and the dealer is positive that they where not notified of this change. I will keep you posted on the progress, I feel positive we are going in the right direction, just a few hurdles along the way.
68 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #50

68 Camaro what did you find out about the build date? Just curious.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:43 AM   #51

Grumpy, I looked at the Document stickers, like you had mentioned. The Date has 12/14. Our order date was Oct 10/14. So it was completed in December, right in the xmas holiday, landed up here in Canada at the end of Jan. So it sat in the dealers yard with 4 other Pinnacle's that delivered same time, undetected by the winter staff, until I seen Jayco change the online floor plan, dropping the sectional for a straight couch in the first week of Feb. I called the dealer at that point, then he called the factory and I'm sure they told him it had been delivered. Didn't take him long to call me back and say the unit is in the yard. With the change...opps.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by rryman View Post
When we took the plant tour last year they said that as far as ordering things like upholstery, fabrics, etc that they use they are trying to plan about 2 years out. I guess some things are readily available like faucets, sinks, etc but there is apparently a long lead time on some things. Even so, there should be more communication if changes are made....snip...
In today's manufacturing, virtually everyone depends upon their supplier to have the components at the manufacturing point 'just in time.' That means there is very little inventory, or none at all, at the manufacturing location. As an item is built, the parts to make it are arriving as needed, 'just in time,' to be used.

So all the wood, frames, axles, chairs, cabinets, fabrics, fiberglass, etc., etc., etc. that Jayco needs are ALL planned out by 2 years. As long as everything goes as planned, it all works smoothly. BUT, any glitch along the way can mess things up BIG TIME!

With everything that can go wrong, with Murphy waiting nearby, I'm surprised that most units seem to come together as planned and glitch-free.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:47 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Camaro View Post
(snip) yesterday he calls me at work to tell me that someone at the plant had replied to him, asking him if they, the dealer would pick up half the cost for this correction. Personally at this point, I don't care who pays, just want it done. The dealership manager assured me it will get looked after. (snip)
If the factory made the change without notifying the dealer (and you), then they should pick up the entire cost. If the dealer messed up (they knew and forgot to tell you), then they should be picking up the cost (or part of it).

At least you're moving forward in the right direction! Yay for that.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:36 PM   #54

The term Ordering got me thinking....

I wonder if some dealers place an order for a customer but don't really place the order with the notion to the Factory that this is a Customer specified list of options. If the Factory has it noted that its just a order for X dealership then they might be more inclined to just build a RV.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #55

Our Eagle had a mid-production change as well, back in 2010. It was more cosmetic (e.g. Stainless appliances swapped out for the typical black / wood fronts, Corian replaced with "like material"). Not really a game changer for us; but, disappointed just the same.
Our most recent Jayco order (Seismic 4212 last week) includes a residential fridge with water/ice in the door. If they replace that - THAT will be a game changer for my wife and I...
Shin Pond Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #56

Just a little update, received a email on Monday from Jayco, informing us that the plant is having the sectional couch made this week and should be shipped across the country next week at no charge, my local dealer is responsible to install on arrival. The unit is sitting in the lot down the street, with the weather getting better now, this is driving me crazy, so I hope to go in and close the deal within a couple weeks, get it home and load it up. It's been a long wait, but looking like it will turn out as we expected.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Camaro View Post
...snip... It's been a long wait, but looking like it will turn out as we expected.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #58

That's good to hear, hope all goes well.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #59

Great news 68! Its really good to hear that Jayco is doing what they can to keep the customer happy. That gives me confidence with my purchase!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:19 PM   #60

Well, this thread has a closing to it now. Jayco had kept to their word and sent the couch, at their expense, and it was installed in the time frame they promised they would. We picked the unit up two days ago and spent all day yesterday loading it. We are very pleased and satisfied with our first ever contact with a manufacture about a build problem. Will be testing out the unit next weekend, have two small trip's booked for April, and then pull this unit over the Rocky's to the Sunny Okanogan for the first two weeks of May. Should learn how most of it works by then. Happy Campers once again, thanks Jayco.

2015 Pinnacle 36REQS
2010 F-350 Harley Davidson 6.4L Powerstroke
Short Box Crewcab
6" Procomp Suspension Lift & 35" M/T Toyo Tires
Doug & Nikki, 2 fur babies
Murphy & Chloe are Shar Pei